Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

I have absolutely no inside info but you’re absolutely 100 percent wrong here.

Ok. My main takeaway is that if the Sox are going to land a premium free agent in their current situation, there is no finessing their way to a deal. They needed to get in early and overpay to get their guy. There are just too many other better places to play right now. The Sox aren’t a desirable destination right now...so they needed to go harder. Oh well. It’s over now.

Just now, flavum said:

Ok. My main takeaway is that if the Sox are going to land a premium free agent in their current situation, there is no finessing their way to a deal. They needed to get in early and overpay to get their guy. There are just too many other better places to play right now. The Sox aren’t a desirable destination right now...so they needed to go harder. Oh well. It’s over now.

Hahn doesn't think they have to overpay. In fact, he thinks quite the opposite. He stated the White Sox have an excellent reputation around the league.

Players will take less to come here. How's that worked out for them?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Good for him.  Good for Machado.  We have absolutely no reason to be mad at Manny or anyone with the Padres.  Everyone keep your anger at the Sox and hit them in the pocket book.

Eh, that's also a dick thing to say.

I'm furious at the Sox, but the Padres give me a lot of reasons to hate them. Tatis and Machado don't, but the Padres FO does from comments like this to Shields medicals.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Hahn claims they are a desirable destination and players will take less to play here lol.

Edited by Sockin
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yup. But we all know that's not going to happen with this ownership and front orifice... I mean office. 

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

Disagree that they need to overpay. The Padres didn't. They just paid. They're hardly any better off than the Sox. If Jerry n co. offered 10/300 a month ago we'd be doing a jig.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Eh, that's also a dick thing to say.

I'm furious at the Sox, but the Padres give me a lot of reasons to hate them. Tatis and Machado don't, but the Padres FO does from comments like this to Shields medicals.

Drew Pomeranz as well. There's a good reason Preller was suspended. And I'm sure most orgs would have fired a crooked GM, but not the Padres.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

I think of all of Fowler comes off as the least professional. Ok cool your happy but keep it at that. 

"We're ecstatic to sign a player of Manny's caliber despite not being in contention for him early in the off-season."

Like it's that easy. If we signed Machado and Kenny said the same quote about the Padres or Phillies, we'd be mad at him for lack of class.

• Love 1

Just now, Quin said:

"We're ecstatic to sign a player of Manny's caliber despite not being in contention for him early in the off-season."

Like it's that easy. If we signed Machado and Kenny said the same quote about the Padres or Phillies, we'd be mad at him for lack of class.

I wouldn't care one bit.

Just now, mqr said:

Disagree that they need to overpay. The Padres didn't. They just paid. They're hardly any better off than the Sox. 

I agree with this. The White Sox needs to be comfortable with market value and not get all cutesy with contracts. They're not in a position to demand a player agree with their perfect terms. 

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

Disagree that they need to overpay. The Padres didn't. They just paid. They're hardly any better off than the Sox. 

Agreed 100% on this. The Padres paid asking price. The White Sox have clearly watched one too many episodes of pawn shop reality series.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Drew Pomeranz as well. There's a good reason Preller was suspended. And I'm sure most orgs would have fired a crooked GM, but not the Padres.

I still don't understand how Miami got to reverse a trade but Boston and Chicago didn't 

3 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I think of all of Fowler comes off as the least professional. Ok cool your happy but keep it at that. 

Ron Fowler comes on the radio to do interviews all the time.  He is beyond candid (see: James Shield and Matt Kemp in 2016).  And somehow not only did he unload Shield after that tirade where he basically said he was shit publicly, he got beyond value back.  And now he destroyed the Sox’s 2 years worth of planning in less than a month.  He has made the White Sox his b**** and he’s rubbing it in publicly, which is the norm for him...not anything out of the ordinary.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

I still don't understand how Miami got to reverse a trade but Boston and Chicago didn't 

Boston could have but didn't since it was after the trade deadline and they wouldn't be able to deal for anyone else. It's pretty obvious by now that Shields wasn't hurt when he was traded. He just sucked.

Edited by soxfan2014

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Exactly. 

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

I admit I'm a hypocrite.  I get pissed when other teams do it, but if Kenny would have said it and we got Manny I would have laughed as if it was nothing.   Fuck the Padres BTW. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's petty. If you are worried about other organizations at what should be your own teams moment to shine, that is pretty reflective of who you are.

Huh? You calling me out or you mean the sox?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But why give Alonso at-bats over Palka unless you're trying to compete legitimately for the playoffs?

Maybe they're happy to trot Daniel back out into RF every day, but one gets the feeling Jay is going to get a lot of wasted playing time (certainly before Jimenez is up for good) before he gets traded or dumped from the roster.   Delmonico, too, although he's more or less an afterthought at this point in time.   But both of them can put up a better than 740 OPS and be paid a LOT less to do so.

Since they're not necessarily competing this season, I don't have a problem with Palka in the outfield every day. My guess is that Abreu gets traded around the ASB, Alonso moves to 1B, and Palka spends most of his time at DH at that point.

Edited by Black_Jack29