Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

21 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

The quote was said to be from the Athletic and is said to be a direct quote from Manny.  If those two (Jay, Alonso) were smart they'd give their money back and try to leave the Midwest quietly, maybe avoid playing in Chicago with whatever team they may end up on.  I won't elaborate. 

Ain't no reason to blame Jay, Alonso, or Machado. Alonso was traded for and he didn't have a no trade clause. Jay had someone offering 4 million instead of a minor league invite to Spring Training. Machado had an old Grandpa negotiating over how many at bats he would get almost a decade from now. 

The blame for the Machado debacle and the last ten years of White Sox failure is JR, Hahn, and KW.  These dudes are turning the White Sox into the Cleveland Browns. 

If it's true that the Sox leaked their 175 offer, and I'm not saying it is, the only sound reasoning I can come up with is that JR didn't even want to pay that much, had it leaked so someone else jumped in, had Hahn put together a plausible offer that he can then say what he said about it after Manny chose somewhere else, thus leaving the perception that yes, they tried but Manny chose otherwise. 

I don't think JR gives a crap about winning or not at this point. He likely only OKed the rebuild because he knew he'd have years of bank before he croaked.  I'm just getting over being sick but I feel like I need to puke.  We are a bush league organization...

16 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Ain't no reason to blame Jay, Alonso, or Machado. Alonso was traded for and he didn't have a no trade clause. Jay had someone offering 4 million instead of a minor league invite to Spring Training. Machado had an old Grandpa negotiating over how many at bats he would get almost a decade from now. 

The blame for the Machado debacle and the last ten years of White Sox failure is JR, Hahn, and KW.  These dudes are turning the White Sox into the Cleveland Browns. 

Don’t insult the Browns’ last 8 months...

6 minutes ago, ItsCalledComiskey said:

I do think it is entirely plausible that the Sox leaked the 175m offer only to get another team involved. That being said though, why waste $40m this off season if it was never their intent to sign Machado? For that reason alone I feel that it wasn't the Sox who leaked that offer.

I think it’s now closer to $50 million...

1 hour ago, ItsCalledComiskey said:

I do think it is entirely plausible that the Sox leaked the 175m offer only to get another team involved. That being said though, why waste $40m this off season if it was never their intent to sign Machado? For that reason alone I feel that it wasn't the Sox who leaked that offer.

Who knows, we have helped the Padres rebuild along. So maybe we just wanted to make sure they got their man. 

I really think Manny chose his words wrong in the press conference. I really doubt jay and Alonso would tell Manny don't come here go to SD. I think they might have said its a nice city or something to that extent. I really don't think they would be that stupid to cut down Chicago. So people need to chill. Its done with. He took the most money its his right as a free agent. Time to move on and close this thread. Whoever doesn't like what happens just boicot the team, its your right like it was mannys to sign wherever... 

25 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I really think Manny chose his words wrong in the press conference. I really doubt jay and Alonso would tell Manny don't come here go to SD. I think they might have said its a nice city or something to that extent. I really don't think they would be that stupid to cut down Chicago. So people need to chill. Its done with. He took the most money its his right as a free agent. Time to move on and close this thread. Whoever doesn't like what happens just boicot the team, its your right like it was mannys to sign wherever... 

Right. It was pretty much asking his friends, who have lived in San Diego, how it was living there. And they responded as a friend would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Right. It was pretty much asking his friends, who have lived in San Diego, how it was living there. And they responded as a friend would.

And they're basically family, why would i not tell one of my better friends that he should take the money since SD is still a nice place to go to. Also hilarious those guys should recruit for the Sox, neither had played a damn inning in a Sox uniform yet but they should have been the Sox #1 cheerleaders. GMAB

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

And they're basically family, why would i not tell one of my better friends that he should take the money since SD is still a nice place to go to. Also hilarious those guys should recruit for the Sox, neither had played a damn inning in a Sox uniform yet but they should have been the Sox #1 cheerleaders. GMAB

They got thrown in a really bad spot. I don't think anybody should be upset at them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Right. They weren't brought in to recruit. They were brought in as a "look, we're going to likely suck this year. But you can spend the year with Alonso and Jay, your friends" type of move.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Too bad. They face my wrath and the wrath of other fans because of it. Get ready for the boos 305 club.

Stay classy... I wanna know how is it theyre fault?...

Edited by JoshPR
  • Haha 1

The Whitesox are listed as the runners up.  But all things being equal they really were the third team.   If the Yankees 240 million dollar offer was real I am sure Machado would of picked the Yankees over us.  10 million isn't enough to overdrive his wishes.  It was argued on the board when the Yankees were in it that we needed to bid above them to take that consideration out.  In the end, 240 million would have made him a Yankee if we were the high bid at 250.   

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

The Whitesox are listed as the runners up.  But all things being equal they really were the third team.   If the Yankees 240 million dollar offer was real I am sure Machado would of picked the Yankees over us.  10 million isn't enough to overdrive his wishes.  It was argued on the board when the Yankees were in it that we needed to bid above them to take that consideration out.  In the end, 240 million would have made him a Yankee if we were the high bid at 250.   

With a guarantee difference that small, things like option years or an opt out would also be important.

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

Does anyone have a good link on what Yonder and Jay told Manny about SD? I see a lot of comments about it, but haven't seen the actual source.

"They talked greatly about San Diego, they never stopped talking about it," Machado said. "Yonder loves it. Jon did as well. They're just happy for me and for our family and for our situation. At the end of the day, I'm going to see them quite a bit here in Arizona and we're always going to be a phone call away and talk every day."

Not specific comments, just generalities...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

It wasn’t.