Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Can someone clear up my confusion. The FO has taken a beating over this and I must be missing something. 

The Sox offer was 31 plus for 8 years with two options at 70 total yes? He just had to earn it in his age 35,36 seasons with no-opt outs? 

He took the guaranteed money and opt out with SD? 

Why are we mad? If that’s what The Sox offered, it sounds pretty good to me? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, whitesox91403 said:

Can someone clear up my confusion. The FO has taken a beating over this and I must be missing something. 

The Sox offer was 31 plus for 8 years with two options at 70 total yes? He just had to earn it in his age 35,36 seasons with no-opt outs? 

The last two years kicking in were based on plate appearances (550+) in years 7/8 in the contract...when he would be 33/34 (bday in July at mid season).

Supposedly, another $30 million in incentives.  None guaranteed.

No option, club, player, mutual, swellopt...

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/manny-machado-explains-why-he-chose-padres-in-free-agency/1dvdxb1z1b2r7162j92zx3if7c

"I liked the game plan, from ownership to front office to the coaching staff to the players," Machado told reporters Friday (via ESPN). "The whole 'shabam' was so perfect."

Machado, who shifted from third base to shortstop at the start of last season, indicated one factor in making his decision involved the position he would play, but he ultimately picked the Padres because of their focus on winning.

“Shortstop was a big key, but at the end of the day it’s always a matter of what team, what position, how would it be?” Machado said, per the New York Post. “I’ve played third base my entire life, moved over obviously because I’ve always wanted to, the spot was open, but coming here to come play third base, I saw a great opportunity to help out other guys, help out young guys.”

"That was definitely a big part of our conversation, face to face," Preller explained, per ESPN. "The biggest thing he kept coming back to was wanting to win. He said, 'If your best club is someone else at shortstop ... I'm open to playing third base.' "

Padres chairman Ron Fowler and general partner Peter Seidler revealed they reached an agreement after having a two-hour lunch with Machado, resulting in a record-setting 10-year, $300 million deal. 

"I'm proud to be a Padre," Machado said. "At the end of the day this is where I wanted to be, and I'm very happy to be here."

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2019 at 5:04 AM, caulfield12 said:

but he ultimately picked the Padres because of their focus on winning.

Ah well he has a point Sox would never be drawn into that , a lot more fun seeing how a game can be blown .

On 2/23/2019 at 10:40 PM, whitesox91403 said:

White Sox, as always, weren't willing to accept the risk of his year 9 and 10 contract years in order to get the player during the best of times.

Just like they couldn't accept taking on Dontrelle Willis with Miguel Cabrera. Wasn't it fun watching Miggy torch us every year due to that complete short sightedness? 

I gave them the benefit of the doubt back then, but now the pattern seems far too obvious. A bad season of expensive DTrain wouldn't have come close to offsetting Miggys value.

Just like Machados final 2 seasons would not offset the extreme value he provides in his prime years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

White Sox, as always, weren't willing to accept the risk of his year 9 and 10 contract years in order to get the player during the best of times.

Just like they couldn't accept taking on Dontrelle Willis with Miguel Cabrera. Wasn't it fun watching Miggy torch us every year due to that complete short sightedness? 

I gave them the benefit of the doubt back then, but now the pattern seems far too obvious. A bad season of expensive DTrain wouldn't have come close to offsetting Miggys value.

Just like Machados final 2 seasons would not offset the extreme value he provides in his prime years.

In the end, we didn't have two prospects close to Miller (as a starter then out of UNC, and top draft pick) and Cameron Maybin.

No doubt taking on Willis' contract was part of that...but not THE biggest single element.

17 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

You just know that certain people here will post some blurb from a local San Diego newspaper in this thread everytime he gets a hit.

Burn this thread down and salt the earth.

Caulfield will be sure to remind us daily.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This quote makes me sick and exactly why they needed one of these guys.

The media has certainly taken notice. The Padres expect to be featured on national broadcasts more often this year. They say they have already added more than $1 million in ticket sales since the announcement. Apparel vendor Delaware North was so excited about the signing that it added Machado jerseys to the Petco Park team store last Wednesday—before the deal became official. (The team eventually asked the company to put the shirts away.) On Saturday, a man showed up outside the executive office holding a cardboard sign: OWNERS I’M SORRY THANK YOU.

Edited by Sockin

13 minutes ago, Sockin said:

This quote makes me sick and exactly why they needed one of these guys.

The media has certainly taken notice. The Padres expect to be featured on national broadcasts more often this year. They say they have already added more than $1 million in ticket sales since the announcement. Apparel vendor Delaware North was so excited about the signing that it added Machado jerseys to the Petco Park team store last Wednesday—before the deal became official. (The team eventually asked the company to put the shirts away.) On Saturday, a man showed up outside the executive office holding a cardboard sign: OWNERS I’M SORRY THANK YOU.

This all could have been us.

Edited by soxfan2014

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

This all could have been us.

Preller has done a great job defrauding teams and stealing their prospects but where does all this confidence in his FA signings come from? He's made one boneheaded move after another.

The fact he signed Machado bodes extremely well for us.

21 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Which free agent signings?

Signing Shields. Signing Hosmer.

He also traded Grandal for Kemp. Rizzo for Alonso. Trea Turner and Jake Bauers for Myers. He was the architect of that 2015 Padres disaster.  We all bemoan the loss of Tatis but Preller has made so many more stupid decisions.

He's also managed to get out of it by ripping off teams selling them damaged goods and abusing the IFA market. So there is that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

He also traded Grandal for Kemp. Rizzo for Alonso. Trea Turner and Jake Bauers for Myers. He was the architect of that 2015 Padres disaster.  We all bemoan the loss of Tatis but Preller has made so many more stupid decisions.

He's also managed to get out of it by ripping off teams selling them damaged goods and abusing the IFA market. So there is that.

Rizzo was Cashner, but 90% that was Hoyer prepping for his Cubs job, not Preller.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

He made some fuck ups but bounced back. We are still waiting for Rick to bounce back after his screwups. The biggest change will be the Pads fans perception of the team/excitement  and the media attention. 

• Thanks 1