Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but he plays for the Dominican Republic in the WBC.

It's like saying John Jay is not Hispanic because of his name.   It's also the reason we signed or traded for half of the Latin American veterans (Nova, Colome, Herrera...kept Castillo, who he played with in Baltimore, over two younger/cheaper guys) that were available on the market.

Yes, but Southern Florida is not part of Latin America.

No. You said Latina American players. Manny machado is American. He was born and raised in the USA and went to US high school. Hes not a Latin American prospect no matter how Mmany times people want to continue to spew it.

I have Irish in me. I was born in America. If the white Sox signed me, you wouldnt be talking about the white Sox Irish pipeline. My lord.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Preller has been an awful GM, no denying that other than stemming from delusion because he got us twice.

Anyways, Sports Illustrated reporting on the Machado signing came to be. It was because their owner saw the $175 million dollar offer on TV, thought it was terribly lower than what it should be, and he thought he should get personally involved.

Lol the 175 million dollar report than the White Sox so badly wanted out there cost them Machado.

If the Sox leaked the $175M offer, then Hahn should be immediately fired.  I’m not sure if I beleive they were that stupid or not.

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Konerko,Dye and AJ convincing Hahn to go for it in 2016?

:huh

It was a joke about the time back in 2006 or 2008 when KW went to all those veteran leaders (not to be confused with 2010, when AJ argued not to break up the team and they went on a 26-5 run to get back in it)...and they all asserted there was no reason to make an addition to the team because they had everyone they needed in house.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Sox leaked the $175M offer, then Hahn should be immediately fired.  I’m not sure if I beleive they were that stupid or not.

Story has never made sense anyway.... so the Padres owner got involved because the price was so low and then ended up paying expected market value from the start? Not buying it. Amazing how unlikable such a worthless franchise is to me now. 

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No. You said Latina American players. Manny machado is American. He was born and raised in the USA and went to US high school. Hes not a Latin American prospect no matter how Mmany times people want to continue to spew it.

I have Irish in me. I was born in America. If the white Sox signed me, you wouldnt be talking about the white Sox Irish pipeline. My lord.

If you were a football, rugby or cricket player...sure I would.

Manuel Arturo Machado is a Dominican-American professional baseball third baseman and shortstop for the San Diego Padres of Major League Baseball.

Okay, I'll rephrase then, to be politically correct and more accurate.

We WOULD have had the greatest collection of Hispanic, Caribbean-born, Latino, ABDD (American Born Dominican Descent), hyphenated (fill in the blank country, like Luis Gonzalez with Mexican-American, or Carlos Rodon with Cuban-American), in the history of the modern game.

LatinA would be female Hispanic players...btw. 

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Story has never made sense anyway.... so the Padres owner got involved because the price was so low and then ended up paying expected market value from the start? Not buying it. Amazing how unlikable such a worthless franchise is to me now. 

Well, it just goes to show how successful they are at playing the villains, when NOBODY is even thinking about the Cleveland Indians anymore....as they're supposed to be our REAL competition, not even the Cubbies.

But why not also hate on the Cardinals or Braves, they're also confirmed cheaters in terms of front office tactics?

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I’ll be honest, my concern with slow playing it was once another team jumped into the fray, it wouldn’t surprise if a billionaire owner decided he had to win the bidding strictly out of ego.  Unfortunately that or more less happened.  

I’m just skeptical the Sox were actually leaking a 7/$175M offer.  Not only would it potentially invite teams into the mix, but made them look cheap as fuck.

7 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Sox had no reason to leak that offer, it had to be Lozano

Not only would Lozano not be leaking to Bruce Levine (who clearly had some version of the White Sox's deal when he was talking about value beyond the guaranteed money), but Lozano also put his own reputation on the line afterwards by publicly decrying the article and the number of leaks. If that was him, and he called out himself for violating the CBA - that's an incredibly huge risk, as there's a good chance the players association lawyers will talk to him about where that story came from.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Caufield, please stop pushing this nonsensical BS when it comes to Tatis.

I have corrected you on this 100 times, but you keep singing the praises of the genius that is AJ Preller which is just laughable. 

Here are the facts:

Fernando Tatis Jr was signed by the Chicago White Sox on July 2nd, 2015. He was the 27! ranked IFA out of 30. The White Sox signed him for $825,000. The irony is, Paddy is credited with the signing. ANYONE could have had Tatis, including Preller. He passed on him and didn't want to offer him 1 million. On June 4th, of 2016, without Tatis playing a single professional game for the White Sox, he was traded to the Padres. He was a wild card ticket for the Padres. If they thought he was a top elite prospect they would have signed him 8 months earlier for 1 million dollars. There's nothing they could have possibly seen with him not playing... that would lean to them trading for him. The White Sox actually gave the 30 ranked player that year (Franklin Reyes) 1.5 million to sign with them. Tatis was TINY, I will say that.

Ray, I don't know how you can defend including Tatis in that trade.  Obviously, no one really knew what the Sox had in Tatis, including you, me, and all those execs. But we did give him $800,000, he was very young, he was unproven, but he was an interesting prospect, so why not play him for at least one freaking year before we include him in a trade for a broken down, expensive pitcher who was wanted by NO ONE.  Hahn personified incompetence by signing off on that deal.  That's why he referred to himself as a jackass 2 months ago.

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Ray, I don't know how you can defend including Tatis in that trade.  Obviously, no one really knew what the Sox had in Tatis, including you, me, and all those execs. But we did give him $800,000, he was very young, he was unproven, but he was an interesting prospect, so why not play him for at least one freaking year before we include him in a trade for a broken down, expensive pitcher who was wanted by NO ONE.  Hahn personified incompetence by signing off on that deal.  That's why he referred to himself as a jackass 2 months ago.

Or we can refer to them as jackasses for messing up Erik Johnson and also dumping him in that trade...after all, he was supposedly the headliner.

It wasn't bad enough after Shields had given up 10 or 11 runs the previous start and his own owner basically badmouthed him to the point where Preller had to dump him off the roster, they still got the Sox to pay roughly half of Shields' remaining contract dollars as well.

Nifty trick if you can pull it off.

PS:  Lozano's understandably upset he wasn't representing all of Manny's friends and family...he could have made a fortune auctioning all of them off to the White Sox this offseason, taken his agent's commission, and then laughed all the way to the bank when Machado signed elswhere.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not only would Lozano not be leaking to Bruce Levine (who clearly had some version of the White Sox's deal when he was talking about value beyond the guaranteed money), but Lozano also put his own reputation on the line afterwards by publicly decrying the article and the number of leaks. If that was him, and he called out himself for violating the CBA - that's an incredibly huge risk, as there's a good chance the players association lawyers will talk to him about where that story came from.

One can pretty much guarantee that Bruce Freakin' Levine and Lozano have never interacted in their entire lives.  If they did, it would be a "go-between" like Michael Cohen repping Trump and doing his dirty work.

7 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I'm not defending it, but I'm also not blowing it up like most. 

The fact is, we gave the 30th ranked prospect twice as much money. We gave him that, and if we traded him tomorrow (he's still only 20 years old) no one would blink. Obviously he's played poorly, but still.

We traded a guy that was a lottery ticket and the Padres hit the jackpot. Crediting Preller with some diabolical plan to get Tatis because of his super human scouting abilities is just laughable given the timeline I laid out.

The trade sucked, but I'd be the greatest GM of all time if hindsight was allowed. 999 out of 1000 times, you trade a guy like Tatis at that time and you never hear of him again. That's a fact. The Sox caught the one time. Shit happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not defending it, but I'm also not blowing it up like most. 

The fact is, we gave the 30th ranked prospect twice as much money. We gave him that, and if we traded him tomorrow (he's still only 20 years old) no one would blink. Obviously he's played poorly, but still.

We traded a guy that was a lottery ticket and the Padres hit the jackpot. Crediting Preller with some diabolical plan to get Tatis because of his super human scouting abilities is just laughable given the timeline I laid out.

The trade sucked, but I'd be the greatest GM of all time if hindsight was allowed. 999 out of 1000 times, you trade a guy like Tatis at that time and you never hear of him again. That's a fact. The Sox caught the one time. Shit happens.

I think one mistake was underestimating the impact his father had on his career...and how success in baseball often passes down from generation to generation.

“It was very difficult for me to grow up without my father,” Tatis Sr. said. “It was very difficult because I loved to play baseball and I would have loved to have had my father around me. I think that’s why I take every day, every moment I can to be with my children.”

That desire picked up steam when Tatis – with 113 major league home runs, albeit the blasts leaving the yard far less frequently – walked away from his career to focus on his son’s.

That ultimately started with Fernando Jr. learning both Spanish and English in school from the time he was 4 years old. He’d picked up a bat much earlier in his life.

“I always had a bat in my hand; One day I hit my grandma in the head when I was 3,” the younger Tatis said with a laugh.

His father home for good from his career, the two spent hours in the cage and on diamonds.

They worked on technique.

Day after day after day, the two talked, lived and breathed baseball until the White Sox offered Tatis’ oldest son, just 16 at the time, an $825,000 signing bonus to start his professional career.

“I’m not going to lie,” Fernando Tatis Jr. recalled. “It was kind of hard at times. Being a dad and a coach at the same time, sometimes we’d start arguing and bring it into the house because I didn’t want to work hard enough. I was growing up. I was maturing a little bit more. I learned a lot.

“It was great in the end, but in the beginning it was not easy.”

It’s not always easy today.

The two talk about the cows, horses and sheep on their farm when Tatis Sr. phones from the Dominican Republic. They talk about how his younger brothers – Elijah, 15 (now 16 or 17), and Daniel, 11 (now 12 or 13) – are coming along in the game. The conversation without fail lands on Fernando Tatis Jr.’s latest swings.

“I watch on my phone – every pitch, every inning, every at-bat,” the elder Tatis said. “If I see something wrong, something I don’t like, I call him right away.”

With a laugh, Tatis Sr. added: “Sometimes he doesn’t want to hear it. That’s baseball, but we’ve got a very good relationship. I say, ‘I’ve got to tell you. It’s the only way you’re going to get better. There’s things you’re not doing right.’

“That’s the way it is and that’s what it’s going to be.”

Of course, Fernando Tatis Jr. – the Padres’ chief return from the White Sox when ownership OK’d eating $27-31 million remaining on James Shields’ contract – is doing plenty right.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padres-fernando-tatis-jr-groomed-for-big-future-in-baseball-20170928-story.html

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The 27th ranked international prospect has never made the big leagues since they started that ranking system. None of them have even cracked the top 100 prospects. Tatis was the first one to do so. 

It sucks because he is a talented kid, but he's probably just juicing. 

Dude, you had me agreeing with you in general that there was no way for Preller to actually know how good he would be and that Hahn's only stupid mistake was throwing in a player that he'd never seen, but you just destroyed any urge I have to believe you with the unsupported allegation. 

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The 27th ranked international prospect has never made the big leagues since they started that ranking system. None of them have even cracked the top 100 prospects. Tatis was the first one to do so. 

It sucks because he is a talented kid, but he's probably just juicing. 

This is the most idiotic thing I've heard today.

Have you seen him play?  Watch his homer from yesterday or today on the highlights at MLB.com.  He's about the size of Alexei Ramirez (in terms of BMI), maybe another 10-15 pounds, albeit taller.

If he was juicing, with that frame, he'd be at 210-215, not still in the 170's or low 180's.

It's one of the reasons lots of scouts expect him to eventually end up at 3B, because of how much weight his father carried later in his career (although Tatis' dad was closer to 5'11").  In fact, Tatis was always viewed as a player who could be even better had he kept his weight down a bit.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Dude, you had me agreeing with you in general that there was no way for Preller to actually know how good he would be and that Hahn's only stupid mistake was throwing in a player that he'd never seen, but you just destroyed any urge I have to believe you with the unsupported allegation. 

It's a joke Balta - relax pal. 

I said it because I was pointing out earlier that holy shit... Tatis looked like a 5 year old in his signing photo. He's not huge now, but guy looked like an elementary student before... I guess most 16 year olds do though.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This is the most idiotic thing I've heard today.

Have you seen him play?  Watch his homer from yesterday or today on the highlights at MLB.com.  He's about the size of Alexei Ramirez, maybe another 10-15 pounds, albeit taller.

If he was juicing, with that frame, he'd be at 210-215, not still in the 170's or low 180's.

Says the guy who keeps calling Manny Machado a Latin American baseball player. Difference is, I was joking. 

I will say this, I will never assume someone isn't juicing in baseball regardless of testing. Don't be naive fella's. It's not out of the game - it certainly wasn't when I was in college in 2005-2009.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Says the guy who keeps calling Manny Machado a Latin American baseball player. Difference is, I was joking. 

I will say this, I will never assume someone isn't juicing in baseball regardless of testing. Don't be naive fella's. It's not out of the game - it certainly wasn't when I was in college in 2005-2009.

Okay, so Dominican-American ISN'T equal to Latin-American, got it...

Edited by caulfield12