Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know what the dollar amounts for Pollock would be, but man that makes an awful lot of sense for the Phillies. 

I can't express to you if I was a phillies fan how much i would gag at my new outfield of McCutchen Pollock and ...Hoskens? Herrerra? 

My rebuilding team suddenly looks old and broken down.

Phillies pivoting and going after Pollock is any easy thing for a Sox fan to say. Their fanbase has been sold that their team was going to spend stupid money to get MM or Harper. Not sure pivoting is an option unless they are overwhelmingly outbid. 

Just now, G&T said:

It has nothing to do with the public. If you don't have a deadline, then nothing happens, so sometimes it helps to set soft deadlines. In my experience, negotiations have a shelf life. Eventually everyone hates each other and the deal, which is when the deal closes. Also, the longer a deal sits, the more likely something unpredictable happens. So you can only let this go for so long.

And the Sox will want to push a deadline so they can move on to other targets, which should be in Manny's interest no matter who he signs with.

The good news is that the White Sox have the least need for meeting a deadline.  They know they are going to be awful, so they don't need to really worry about B and C type options.  Obviously they aren't going to chase him until May, but a team like the Phillies may well worry about missing out on Plan B and panic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

Hahn and Klentak should just come to an agreement where the Phillies stop pursuing Machado and the Sox stop pursuing Harper. That way they each get their guy and both teams win. Although that kinda sounds like collusion lol.

That doesn’t just sound like collusion, that is collusion.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, G&T said:

It has nothing to do with the public. If you don't have a deadline, then nothing happens, so sometimes it helps to set soft deadlines. In my experience, negotiations have a shelf life. Eventually everyone hates each other and the deal, which is when the deal closes. Also, the longer a deal sits, the more likely something unpredictable happens. So you can only let this go for so long.

And the Sox will want to push a deadline so they can move on to other targets, which should be in Manny's interest no matter who he signs with.

The problem for the White Sox is that no deadline they can set is believable except for Opening Day. No one honest thinks this team is good enough to be 1 piece away from competing next year, even if they signed Harper first. If the White Sox set a deadline, and then Machado's side came to them a week later and said "we'll accept an 8 year/$240 million deal" the White Sox would shake his hand and print him a uniform. 

The Yankees - you could believe it, they might just go out and sign a cheap 2b somewhere to replace Neil Walker. The Phillies you might believe it, they could go do damage elsewhere and improve their roster. But the White Sox? Go ahead, sign Keuchel and Pollock and turn down Machado if he comes back, and congratulations on your 70 wins I hope it was worth it. 

1 minute ago, shipps said:

Phillies pivoting and going after Pollock is any easy thing for a Sox fan to say. Their fanbase has been sold that their team was going to spend stupid money to get MM or Harper. Not sure pivoting is an option unless they are overwhelmingly outbid. 

True. I do think they land one of them, with us getting the other. And "spending stupid" on Machado/Harper is different than "spending stupid" on Corbin.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The problem for the White Sox is that no deadline they can set is believable except for Opening Day. No one honest thinks this team is good enough to be 1 piece away from competing next year, even if they signed Harper first. If the White Sox set a deadline, and then Machado's side came to them a week later and said "we'll accept an 8 year/$240 million deal" the White Sox would shake his hand and print him a uniform. 

The Yankees - you could believe it, they might just go out and sign a cheap 2b somewhere to replace Neil Walker. The Phillies you might believe it, they could go do damage elsewhere and improve their roster. But the White Sox? Go ahead, sign Keuchel and Pollock and turn down Machado if he comes back, and congratulations on your 70 wins I hope it was worth it. 

Right, no deadline is ever final, no matter how  serious someone claims it to be. But for Manny, at some point you run the risk of the Phillies signing Harper and maybe losing leverage. And if I'm the Sox, then there might be smaller moves to be made (if not Harper) based on getting Manny that the Sox won't otherwise make.

Anyway, my point is that getting to a deal usually involves moving with some urgency. That's just the nature of negotiation, unrelated to setting a firm deadline as a strategy. The future is unpredictable, and the sports industry moves quickly.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The good news is that the White Sox have the least need for meeting a deadline.  They know they are going to be awful, so they don't need to really worry about B and C type options.  Obviously they aren't going to chase him until May, but a team like the Phillies may well worry about missing out on Plan B and panic.

The Sox are in the best position to wait it out. Other than the posters here charging the FO with pitchforks if they don't sign one of them, there is no downside for them. They are not seriously competing this year. The other teams are planning on it and need to go to plan B if they don't sign one.

3 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Russo still discounting white sox. Said out of the 2 more likely machado goes to Philly lol. 

He also said Grandal is bad defensively.  He doesn't research anything ever, just makes blanket negative statements about everything.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is a good idea as well, but it doesn't work without a salary cap. Otherwise, teams like the Yankees/Sawx/Cubs would just give huge deals to young stars and poach them constantly. 

I actually think it works better with the current luxury tax (with MUCH steeper penalties like loss of 1st round pick). A salary cap is going to limit dollar amounts and cash flow even further than it already is. That accomplishes the complete opposite of what we’re trying to fix. It will not increase more money going to the players. Plus the union will never agree to a cap. If you implement a cap, you almost have to implement non-guaranteed contracts - another thing the union is never going to budge on.

I wish they'd stop treating players like they're eBay auctions.  Stop the bidding war and ask the guy where he wants to play.  You probably get a better version of Manny Machado if he's playing where he wants to be anyway.  Maybe he would take the couple million generated by this "squeeze every last drop of $ out of the process" phase to end up in a place where he'll be happy--wherever that might be.  

34 minutes ago, G&T said:

If I were Manny it would be in my interest to have and meet a deadline. At the amount of money we are talking about, even the slight risk of getting hurt walking across the street before a contract is signed isn't something I want to be toying around with.

3 minutes ago, FT35 said:

I wish they'd stop treating players like they're eBay auctions.  Stop the bidding war and ask the guy where he wants to play.  You probably get a better version of Manny Machado if he's playing where he wants to be anyway.  Maybe he would take the couple million generated by this "squeeze every last drop of $ out of the process" phase to end up in a place where he'll be happy--wherever that might be.  

Not sure that would work out well for white sox.

1 minute ago, SpringfieldFan said:

If I were Manny it would be in my interest to have and meet a deadline. At the amount of money we are talking about, even the slight risk of getting hurt walking across the street before a contract is signed isn't something I want to be toying around with.

Whatever. This guy has scoop the other another scoop. He will sign tomorrow, he did that sox offered that bob tweeted that, i had enough they busted my balls weeks now, ive lost sleep my boss threatens to fire me, call me when he decides to man up and decide(manny) 

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

If the Sox were only offering 200 million at this point, they wouldn't even be considered anymore. It's not true.

It could be true. It would just spell incredibly bad news for labor relations.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Using that logic, we might have gotten Justin Verlander since he grew up a huge fan of Frank Thomas. Mark Mulder would have been good for us for a few years. So unless a young star player grew up idolizing DJ Carrasco, the Sox would be limiting themselves to pretty much players who grew up on the south side.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres