Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I wouldn't put any stock in it. He makes these statements all the time and is almost always wrong. 

Yep, I don't think Harper ends up in Philly and I think after that the Phillies are going to go hard after Manny if he's still there.

Edited by Sockin

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do have a question though, say something unexpected happens and Harper signs first.

Mannys market at that point is the white Sox. I wonder what he gets and if Phillies really still put any heat there.

The Phillies signing both puts them above the luxury tax threshold.  Maybe they move Franco and get slightly under, but they’d be pretty hamstrung in terms of other additions the next two years.  I don’t see it happening.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Soxtalk: someone give optimism!

Nightengale: looks like Machado will be playing the White Sox

Soxtalk: he says dumb shit like that all the time, who cares what he thinks

I mean this is the dude who said the Phillies were gonna get Corbin, they won't be outbid, etc etc.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I find it interesting that article completely dismisses the Nationals as a viable threat for Harper despite rumors the past couple weeks suggesting they might be the favorite.  Just goes to show how much bullshit is out there.

I don’t think they have been since the signed Corbin. I think Boras is gassing them up as a threat. 

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

It would be nice to know what the offer is.  If it's 7/low 200s (which is what I believe the more respected sources have said), the Sox may lead, but I doubt he'd sign for that anytime soon.

I wouldn’t believe those rumors...I’m sure the offer is much higher or someone else would have jumped into the mix.

Nightengale is often hated here but honestly when you look back at the thread of tweets he did about our Cespedes offseason, he was vaguely on the money

I'm sure he's doing agents' bidding all the time, but these guys trade the plant info for the ability get overall narrative in the end and break news in the endgame. So you take a guy like Nightengale and follow him for the whole arc as opposed to expecting every tidbit to be 100% true along the whole journey there

• Like 1

I wouldn’t believe those rumors...I’m sure the offer is much higher or someone else would have jumped into the mix.

Well, the same source (Nightengale) who says the Sox are "expected" to sign him also said 3 days ago that the Sox offered him a contract of "about $200 million"
Maybe they increased, will increase.....

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Maybe, maybe not. But we're acting like the offer the Sox submitted had to be best and final. Who knows how high they went (hopefully we find out VERY soon)

I only hope we find out and it’s because he’s a white Sox to be honest

Wasn’t there a rumored 5 hour meeting with the Nats owner and didn’t Bowden (lol) claim they had made another offer well north of $300M?

10/$340M was the number I remember hearing post Nats/Harper meeting. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres