Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Nightengale knows a bit more than posters here want to give him credit. He has broken plenty. It isn’t a bad thing to believe him. But for some reason the general consensus here is he is a hack. I don’t think that’s accurate.

Yeah I'm cool with Nightengale. People act like he's this total hack (like Bruce Levine for example).

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we land Machado at a somewhat reasonable amount, it’s definitely reflects “right time right place” for us.  Most of the big spenders are either maxed out right now or already have quality 3B.  Throw in the character concerns and suddenly his market shrank to only a handful of teams.  We should all be grateful for his playoff shenanigans because that likely saved us some serious money (assuming we land him). 

It is mind boggling to me that big market teams are getting a PR pass for treating the luxury tax as a hard cap.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

By flipped his opinion, do you mean things have changed in a fluid process involving one of the biggest free agents in MLB history? Would you rather he take a Dan Clark stance. 

What are you talking about? I just implied people don't take what he says as gospel because it keeps changing. That may not be his fault, as I said he is being given a lot of BS info. And no, I don't think this situation has been fluid in reality. The public has been taken on a ride to try to increase contracts but the teams have remained the same as has the player asking prices probably. 

5 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

It's not too surprising to be honest. There's some big money teams strapped by their payroll. Boston, LAD, cubs, Angels and Yanks are all out due to their payrolls being near the tax threshold. That's five huge players that aren't in the mix. 

I know, but its such a big opportunity for those other teams that usually wouldn’t have a prayer to land a player of this ilk on a FA deal. There are many teams that would never be able to outbid the big boys if they were in the running that I am surprised more aren’t sniffing around, at least seriously. Padres, Twins,  Brewers, Mets, Angels and even As and Rays are teams that come to mind. Surprised at least a couple haven’t kept the bidding more honest than it appears to be publically. All make varying degrees of sense for Machado, and at least a couple of them definitely have the payroll space. 

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It is mind boggling to me that big market teams are getting a PR pass for treating the luxury tax as a hard cap.

That's because most fans and media understand how harsh the taxes are for going over and staying over. Without it you can bet Machado and Harper would have signed with one of those five teams and the White Sox would have never been in the mix.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know, but its such a big opportunity for those other teams that usually wouldn’t have a prayer to land a player of this ilk on a FA deal. There are many teams that would never be able to outbid the big boys if they were in the running that I am surprised more aren’t sniffing around, at least seriously. Padres, Twins,  Brewers, Mets, Angels and even As and Rays are teams that come to mind. Surprised at least a couple haven’t kept the bidding more honest than it appears to be publically. All make varying degrees of sense for Machado, and at least a couple of them definitely have the payroll space. 

I see you point with the teams you listed. Hadn't really thought of them to be honest. I guess it is a bit surprising.

52 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

So I've been gone for over an hour. Why is everyone suddenly so optimistic?

49 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Nightengale said Phillies are the clear cut favorite for Harper and barring any surprises he expects the Sox to get Machado. Dave said at this point it would be a surprise if Manny wasn't a White Sox. Mbs1969 said there's good stuff out there but he can't say anything on here quite yet.

... and Richard Roeper gets no love and hi8is neglects his children.  Or something like that.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

So I've been gone for over an hour. Why is everyone suddenly so optimistic?

Because it’s sunday at 3:18, just give it awhile till like 7 tonight till the next rumor comes out that the mystery team is the leader 😂 everything changes on an hourly basis

19 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

That's because most fans and media understand how harsh the taxes are for going over and staying over. Without it you can bet Machado and Harper would have signed with one of those five teams and the White Sox would have never been in the mix.

It's because most fans and media are allowing teams to use the luxury tax as a justification for not spending. The penalties aren't severe enough where it should be treated as a defacto hard cap. Salaries haven't remotely kept up with revenues in baseball over the last 10+ years.

Edited by maxjusttyped

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's because most fans and media are allowing teams to use the luxury tax as a justification for not spending. The penalties aren't severe enough where it should be treated as a defacto hard cap. Salaries haven't remotely kept up with revenues in baseball over the last 10+ years.

I disagree. It's obvious the penalties are harsh enough because it's deterring teams from spending stupidly and giving other teams a more legit shot at big free agents. As a Sox fan I don't understand your complaint. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Especially if it isn’t a massive $350M type contract.

I just feel like it’s a laying in the weeds type of thing going on with him. They want Machado first and foremost but I don’t think the Whitesox have given up on the Harper front 

9 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Because it’s sunday at 3:18, just give it awhile till like 7 tonight till the next rumor comes out that the mystery team is the leader 😂 everything changes on an hourly basis

I go back to school a week from tomorrow. I just want it to be over by then because if not, my productivity will be zapped and I won't accomplish any work. Lol.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres