Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

The one thing bringing Machado on board (even for just three years) would do is provide some needed credibility in the baseball world...it makes bringing in another stud Free Agent (there's a LONG list) that much easier, if they can just manage to land the first one and create a positive impression.

Like most Sox fans though, anything less than 4 doesn't seem ideal...because there's so much uncertainty about 2020 being a competitive year or not, and it's also dependent to an extent on what the Indians and Twins do.

8 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I don't see the Sox being that good next year even if they did get Manny, and 2020 is somewhat up in the air at this point given Kopech's injury among other things. The Sox would have him for 1, maybe 2 years (if they're lucky) when they're actually a competitive team. I mean obviously I'd take that over not getting him at all but a 3 year deal is nowhere near as appealing as something longer term. 

Agents might have other ideas but if I were a FA - 2021 is the year that I do not want to hit free agency again. MLB's next Collective Bargaining Agreement expires on December 1 of 2021, and if we are going to look at a labor impasse, even if it's a short one, it's going to totally f*** with that offseason's free agent market. If I were putting in an opt out, I'd take that 2022 season as my main first opt out so that I'm not scrambling for a contract sometime  in April or May of 2022 after the strike/lockout ends.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't quite know about this but if I were a FA - 2021 is the year that I do not want to hit free agency again. MLB's next Collective Bargaining Agreement expires on December 1 of 2021, and if we are going to look at a labor impasse, even if it's a short one, it's going to totally f*** with that offseason's free agent market. If I were putting in an opt out, I'd take that 2022 season as my main first opt out so that I'm not scrambling for a contract sometime  in April or May of 2022 after the strike/lockout ends.

Fair point. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't quite know about this but if I were a FA - 2021 is the year that I do not want to hit free agency again. MLB's next Collective Bargaining Agreement expires on December 1 of 2021, and if we are going to look at a labor impasse, even if it's a short one, it's going to totally f*** with that offseason's free agent market. If I were putting in an opt out, I'd take that 2022 season as my main first opt out so that I'm not scrambling for a contract sometime  in April or May of 2022 after the strike/lockout ends.

Even an opt-out after 4 years would be better. That gives them 19, 20, 21, and 22 to work with. I'd prefer it to be after 5 or 6 years in a perfect world but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Even an opt-out after 4 years would be better. That gives them 19, 20, 21, and 22 to work with. I'd prefer it to be after 5 or 6 years in a perfect world but I'll take what I can get at this point.

A 3 year opt-out occurs after his age 29 season, likely to be preferred by agent and player. 

I prefer an opt out after year 4 but if it's year 3, one of two things happens: 1) they aren't ready to win and it sucks so he leaves but at least it puts the Sox on the map as a viable FA landing spot for big names or 2) Machado can clearly see that Jimenez, Cease, Kopech, Robert and Moncada are the real deal and this is his best chance at a championship so he stays all 8 years or at least through his next opt out opportunity after year 5 or 6 (and it puts the Sox on the map as a viable FA landing spot for big names)

Edited by soxfan49

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He's right. We need credibility and we need it quick. We need top tier players to see it's okay to come here. If he does decide to stay, we are in much better shape to recruit other FAs. 

giphy.gif

Edited by joesaiditstrue

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I prefer an opt out after year 4 but if it's year 3, one of two things happens: 1) they aren't ready to win and it sucks so he leaves but at least it puts the Sox on the map as a viable FA landing spot for big names or 2) Machado can clearly see that Jimenez, Cease, Kopech, Robert and Moncada are the real deal and this is his best chance at a championship so he stays all 8 years or at least through his next opt out opportunity after year 5 or 6 (and it puts the Sox on the map as a viable FA landing spot for big names)

3) They renegotiate to keep him, much like Clayton Kershaw recently did. 

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Its better than the stupid class introductions. "Okay, lets go around and have everyone introduce themselves. Give your name, year, major, where you are from, where you interned last summer, and an interesting fact about yourself." 

"Hi, I'm GenericUserName. Senior business major from Chicago. I interned at Random Company No One Has Ever Heard Of LLC. My interesting fact is that as a socially anxious person this makes me want to die."

Seriously @ptatc, just don't make anything due this week. Let the students get their sylly week on. 

I don't make anything due the first week. That too cruel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Sir said:

I'm an amateur pilot. I haven't gone flying in years (unfortunately) and my license is therefore out-of-date (although that's a relatively easy fix when I finally get around to it), but it's an easy thing to spit out in those situations, and it tops "I've been with my girlfriend for three and a half months tomorrow".

My son is going to aviation school in the Fall. He is almost done with his private pilot license.

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

I'm with you on that one (not joining the Chair Force, but plane spotting). I'm taking the fam to Ireland in a few months, and while that's awesome, I'm also insanely excited that the trans-Atlantic portion of the flight will be on a 747.

It will probably be way less cool when my one year old spends a good portion of that eight hour flight screaming and smacking me in the face.

Another goal of mine is to go Down Under, which will almost certainly mean flying on an A380. I've seen them but never flown on one.

Only been on an A380 up at Osh kosh on static display. Never flown on one. 747 are fun to fly in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Only been on an A380 up at Osh kosh on static display. Never flown on one. 747 are fun to fly in.

I think (can't be totally sure about travels when I was a kid) my one time flying on a 747 was en route to Afghaniland. So, that sucked. Although, coming back on one was a bit better. 😉

Just now, The Sir said:

I think (can't be totally sure about travels when I was a kid) my one time flying on a 747 was en route to Afghaniland. So, that sucked. Although, coming back on one was a bit better. 😉

Just now, The Sir said:

No doubt.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

My son is going to aviation school in the Fall. He is almost done with his private pilot license.

Awesome! Congrats to him (prematurely). I'd love to do that. If money weren't an issue, I'd totally switch to professional aviation.

13 minutes ago, iamshack said:

A 3 year opt-out occurs after his age 29 season, likely to be preferred by agent and player. 

It definitely would be preferred by Machado’s camp, but if I’m the Sox I’m pushing for after year 4.  And if that’s a no go, I’m definitely trying for some sort of mechanism that allows for it.  For example, I’d offer up a condition that allows the club to push back the opt-out a year at some point in the future, but requires we add additional guaranteed year to the end of the deal if exercised.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Awesome! Congrats to him (prematurely). I'd love to do that. If money weren't an issue, I'd totally switch to professional aviation.

What is the current status of AI/autonomous piloting?

I imagine very few people in the next decade would feel comfortable getting onto a plane without a pilot, but it's quite possible that this will be a realistic option in the future, as long as there's a back-up mechanism for someone on the ground to land a plane with some type of catastrophic technological/communication failure.

26 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Nice. Good luck to him. I've read you gotta pay your dues at first but after that its a rewarding career. 

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It definitely would be preferred by Machado’s camp, but if I’m the Sox I’m pushing for after year 4.  And if that’s a no go, I’m definitely trying for some sort of mechanism that allows for it.  For example, I’d offer up a condition that allows the club to push back the opt-out a year at some point in the future, but requires we add additional guaranteed year to the end of the deal if exercised.

Could you do something along the lines with the writing in his contract that if after the first 3 years he doesn’t opt out his contract it guarantees to put him in the top 3 payroll wise every year there after?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres