Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Okay.  Well Lozano isn’t going to strike a deal without a single formal offer from the Phillies first.

That makes no sense.  Even if they have signed Harper, they’ll make an offer...which will be more attractive to Machado’s camp no matter what if Bryce Harper is already on board.

Yeah actually he would. You don’t need a formal offer to know what a team will agree to. 

This is the most smoke we've seen yet.  Could be due to the report that the Phillies seem to be focusing more on Harper.  I tend to believe that there truly is an 8-year offer on the table and that the Sox are willing to go higher.  I hope Machado isn't waiting for Harper to sign because this could drag on another week or more.  The optimistic side of me thinks we see a lot more information today, including a suggestion that the Sox and Machado are in final negotiations.

6 minutes ago, G&T said:

Yeah actually he would. You don’t need a formal offer to know what a team will agree to. 

If they can’t get Harper, and they should already have a sense of this, the Phillies will undoubtedly give Machado at least $25 million more than the White Sox current offer...if not more.  

Then the White Sox would have to decide if they were willing to ultimately commit to $275-300 million.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Need legit breakouts from two of Rodon/Lopez/Giolito plus #3 & #4 type performances from Gio & Nova respectively.  I know Balta thinks you need four Cy Young finalists to make the playoffs, but look at the Brewers last year.  A strong lineup and bullpen can help make up for that.  Machado & Pollock could be poor man version’s of Yelich & Cain for us.  Still a long-shot we make the playoffs, but I’d be rolling the dice on that roster next year knowing I still have a boatload or prospects arriving in the coming years.

"Poor man's version". Interesting choice of words. Hardly, when considering the cost of Machado and Pollock. Seriously, if Machado is acquired, the Sox do not need to add any other position players. The biggest need is pitching, pitching and pitching!! One more starter, and a good one, at a minimum.

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

"Poor man's version". Interesting choice of words. Hardly, when considering the cost of Machado and Pollock. Seriously, if Machado is acquired, the Sox do not need to add any other position players. The biggest need is pitching, pitching and pitching!! One more starter, and a good one, at a minimum.

Absolutely.  Would need 2 good starting pitchers if they wanna piss with the big boys.

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Gotta disagree re: position players. Even if  TA and Moncada have out of body improvement and Eloy rakes from day 1, not on par with Red Sox, Indians , Yankees, Astros, etc. A lot can happen but way too many question marks to state the Sox do not need to add any other position players.

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

Gotta disagree re: position players. Even if  TA and Moncada have out of body improvement and Eloy rakes from day 1, not on par with Red Sox, Indians , Yankees, Astros, etc. A lot can happen but way too many question marks to state the Sox do not need to add any other position players.

Yeah there’s just no way we can count on Jon Jay, Daniel Palka, and Eloy getting his 1st taste of the bigs as our OF if we want to seriously compete. That is questionable offensively and just looks bad defensively.

I think we would still need 1 quality starting OF + at least 1 starter capable of giving 180+ innings of sub 4 era ball. 

And even then I think we’d need a good bit of improvement from the young guys to be a serious competitor 

This is what I feel like is happening here. The White Sox offered 7 years and 200 million. I really believe this is the best offer he has received for whatever reason. Maybe the Phillies matched that. Passan has gone on record before to say that the Sox are willing to go 10. The Sox did not want that info out but because Passan has real sources, Machados camp was pushed into the drivers seat. Levine and  Nightengale quickly discredited that. Saying they won’t go over 7.

Last night both Passan and Gomez said the Sox have upped their offer. Passan even saying they would go higher, once again pushing Machado to the drivers seat. Then Nightengale quickly refutes that.   

I think the Sox have upped their offer to just get it done already but Passan and Hector Gomez are being used by the Machado camp to get every last penny. The Sox need to be smart here so other teams don’t jump in. They are inclined to get it done while Philly is busy with Harper. I believe they upped their offer and essentially bid against themselves.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Absolutely.  Would need 2 good starting pitchers if they wanna piss with the big boys.

This will not happen this year. There are goo many prospects un the pipeline for the next couple of years, kopech, cease and dunning to name a few. The Machado move would be the only significant move with eye on the next couple of years being the competitive ones. Maybe one on a 1 or 2 year deal but that would be it.

Edited by ptatc

25 minutes ago, Flash said:

If one thinks that a team must have big offensive contributors at every spot in the lineup, then that would be their assessment, regarding the Sox. Teams rarely have great hitters, at every spot in the lineup, including the Indians. Look who batted in the bottom third of the lineup. Yes, Lindor and Ramirez are terrific, but the Indians have not had potent 7, 8 and 9 hitters. My preference is to have a productive to 2/3 of the lineup, and focus more on defense from your bottom third, typically from the centerfielder and catcher, or SS. It's pitching that wins championships. It always has been and always will be. The only new wrinkle, in this era, is that the bullpens have become as important as the starting rotation.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This will not happen this year. There are goo many prospects un the pipeline for the next couple of years, kopech, cease and dunning to name a few. The Machado move would be the only significant move with eye on the next couple of years being the competitive ones.

If the argument against acquiring more starting pitching now, is that there are too many good pitching prospects, who will arrive in the next couple of years, then applying the same argument, would assert that there are too many good outfield prospects coming, to merit acquiring another one now.

9 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the argument against acquiring more starting pitching now, is that there are too many good pitching prospects, who will arrive in the next couple of years, then applying the same argument, would assert that there are too many good outfield prospects coming, to merit acquiring another one now.

Except you’ve got six outfielders for just two spots...not to mention the possibility of Moncada or Anderson.

Even if you pencil in Lopez, Cease and Kopech for 2020... and Rodon just for this exercise’s sake, you’re short at least 1-2 starters due to injuries and non-performance.  Dunning is still iffy until proven otherwise, and Hansen has seriously regressed.  (And Rodon’s gone after 2021, so needs to be replaced regardless.)

If another Casey Mizes rises to the top, AND we get either Machado or Harper, they’re likely to go college pitching unless Adley’s somehow available.

Edited by caulfield12

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres