Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm surprised he's not retweeting Nightengale about the Sox NOT offering 8 years.

I wonder if Bruce has been left out of the "Reinsdorf Insiders", which could be why he's desperately clinging onto what the ESPN guys are saying to look relevant again.

19 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So do we think the reports from last night are actually bad for the Sox? Do we think those are leaks and they’re being used for leverage?

The teams know what they can offer, and know what the player wants from them. The leaks are usually to drive a fan base. The more pissed Soxtalk gets, the better the leverage for the player, which is why Hahn hates misinformation.

Everyone here is happy about 8 years, so doesn't Lazano call Hahn and say, "I don't know where that report came from, but gee, everyone loves the idea of eight years. I'd hate to explain at Soxfest why you wouldn't give another year."

I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly, but it seems to make sense.

Edit: it is also possible a deal is done, and the circle of knowledge is starting to grow, which leads to more leaks. But i can't square the Nightengale tweet with that interpretation. But he's an idiot, so who knows.

Edited by G&T

5 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Seems like Passan/Gomez leaks were from the agent side, trying to keep Philly (and Yankees? Mystery team?) bidding up. Nightengale got info from Sox to slow down any other teams upping the bid. 

At this point, also seems like both Harper and Machado are waiting for each other to sign. They both probably think they are better than the other, and want to use the other's contract as leverage.

I would agree other than I would change the players to the agents.  I am sure the agents have a framework from the players as to teams and money. Then the players  wait till the agent says he has the best deal for them.  Supposedly these agents are also big rivals. There is so much "fodder" out there but I don't think we have seen any comments/quotes from either player in a while. 

I think machado is avoiding us like a bad rash to be honest.... He's looking for alternatives... Probably telling Lozano find something else please...  Or they know the sox are somewhat desperate and they're gonna squeeze till they over pay..

1 minute ago, Tony said:

My best estimate is Manny and Lozano are still somewhat disappointed at the marketplace. Right now, the Sox have the best offer on the table. Leaking the offer to Passan let's teams know "We have this offer in hand, can you top it?" 

As many national journalists noted on Twitter last night, for that money it's odd more teams aren't in the mix. Maybe this gets some teams back in the mix? 

I agree that Manny and Lozano are probably disappointed with the state of the market, but I question whether this would cause more teams to jump into the mix.  $250 million may be below initial expectations of what Machado would get, but it is still a very, very large offer.  I just don't see a team like the Padres being seemingly 100% out on Machado at $30/mil per over 10 years, but ready to jump in at $30/mil per over 8 years.

I think this leak is all about the Phillies and whether they want to top it.  In that way, perhaps Passan's indication that the Sox would be wiling to go 10 years will help the Sox.  If the Phillies are debating whether to make a higher bid, but get the impression that the Sox would just come over the top again, they may just bow out now and focus exclusively on Harper.

My concern is that the Phillies hold a lot of power right now, if they choose to use it.  If they tell Lozano today that they want to see how things go with Harper this week before making a decision about whether to increase their offer to Machado, there's not a lot of risk to Lozano to wait if he doesn't think the Sox will pull their offer.  That's why I expect to see more smoke about the Sox and Harper soon.  Hahn has to try to convince Lozano that the Sox offer might disappear.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

I think machado is avoiding us like a bad rash to be honest.... He's looking for alternatives... Probably telling Lozano find something else please...  Or they know the sox are somewhat desperate and they're gonna squeeze till they over pay..

8/250 isn’t some deal too good to turn down.  I can see why he’s in no rush to sign that.

3 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

He's trying to make the best of a situation that has not been going super well for him.

Just now, mqr said:

He's trying to make the best of a situation that has not been going super well for him.

I can see that... But the market isn't there. What would it be if the Marlins wouldn't have been stupid with Stanton...

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

8/250 isn’t some deal too good to turn down.  I can see why he’s in no rush to sign that.

8/250 is a good starting point.  If Passan's story is accurate, the Sox would be willing to add years and money.  They're not going to go in and give them their best offer first.  Hopefully true negotiations start soon.

11 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I sure would hate to spend $250M on a guy who doesn't really want to play for the Sox. Hopefully this is not the case. What I mean is that I would hope he wouldn't sign and then have an "attitude" that would affect others.

Edited by Saufley

Battle of egos that I was referring to yesterday.   These guys worked together and can’t stand each other.  Also remember that Boras was Manny’s first agent.  This efffects their future work.  They both want to be the “man” .    One other note, if Reinsdorf is now involved and they haven’t finished this yet remember that today is Inauguration Day in Illinois and almost all smart billionaires are there for Pritzker.   

https://theathletic.com/703532/2018/12/09/rosenthal-agent-wars-between-scott-boras-and-dan-lozano-are-a-huge-part-of-the-harper-machado-pursuits/

16 minutes ago, tray said:

Passan has always been partial to the cubs so I do not give any credence whateoever to his reporting about the White Sox.

Passan is one of the best national guys out there. I think he's very credible. A little over a year ago, When he worked for Yahoo he wrote an article on why he thought the Whitesox farm system was the deepest in baseball. He had alot of Atlanta fans in an uproar over it.

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

8/250 is a good starting point.  If Passan's story is accurate, the Sox would be willing to add years and money.  They're not going to go in and give them their best offer first.  Hopefully true negotiations start soon.

This is exactly where the White Sox should be, with a deal on the table that is respectable, enough to put them in the game, but not their best deal and the agent and player know that. I was a little worried about that earlier - when Levine was reporting that they wouldn't go past 7 years, there's a chance that wouldn't get them  to the table at the end.

The White Sox now have to wait for Machado's side to make a move and put an offer on the table that is both reasonable and something that he would actually sign if the White Sox accepted it. Once both sides have said "Yes we will sign with you if we have an offer we are satisfied with", then we're down to what should be fairly ordinary details of a number in-between what both sides want and which year is his opt out. If Machado's side isn't ready to sign yet, then they'll hold onto whatever their initial ask was and there's nothing much to talk about yet.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t rule out a deal with Machado already in place (7 years guaranteed (5th year opt out), 8th year based on a low bar performance clause, 9th year as player option and 10th as team option) as Hahn is a master contract negotiator.  Sox perhaps quietly working on Harper by floating out guaranteed/low end of offer to keep Boras’ demands at bay.  Something similar to Machado but either more total value w fewer options at end or higher AAV w more options.

If Phillies blow that out of the water w something like 10/375 guaranteed then this “daily double” won’t happen.  But Sox would love to announce both together and once they know for sure they are out on Bryce, the Manny announcement waits.  Manny’s camp would have to be looped in on this so promise there to give Manny something better than Harper (flexibility w options or AAV higher than Bryce).

12 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I sure would hate to spend $250M on a guy who doesn't really want to play for the Sox. Hopefully this is not the case. What I mean is that I would hope he wouldn't sign and then have an "attitude" that would affect others.

Totally with you!  My thoughts have changed a little the last couple days though...I think you still bring him in and would then hope that just the reality of being here and the other greener pasture doors get closed, he can focus on getting settled in and playing for the White Sox for a long time.  I think you get a natural buy-in from him at that point.  It's only "not his first choice" now...but if he were actually here, I think you'd see the investment on his part take off.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres