Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

6 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

We will not get a number 2 for adolfo and rutherford

A backend top 100 (Rutherford) and a close to top 100 OF prospect (Micker, I am sure he will be top 100 within next year) would get you a pretty nice SP, IMO.  

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Feels like we've been saying this for 3 straight years. A bunch of teams re-set their luxury tax for this year and salaries had been cleared for this free agent period.

i don't know that it will be better.

Well Harper was offered at least $300mil depending on reports. Boras just wants more. Arenado is asking for $30mil in arb, so its hard to imagine that next year hell want less than $30mil per year.

I think the saying is "it only takes 1." 

I personally think that the dam is going to break soon. When you look at a list of top paid MLB players a lot of them are past their prime. Owners can only keep salaries down for so long. Eventually some team sells or a different owner decides to break the bank again. 

3 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Luis Gonzalez will be the starting RF for the Sox eventually.

He'll likely be the starting CF for the Sox before he's the starting RF.  He's definitely ahead of Robert in his development.  I could see Gonzalez roaming CF in Chicago by August, honestly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't think the Reds would move him as they seem to be making a push towards contending this year. And he does have 5 years of control left.

Jon Gray and Dylan Bundy could be interesting "buy low" candidates for the Sox.

The Sox need to address the #5 starter's spot regardless if they get Machado. No way do I want them to start the season with Manny Banuelos in the rotation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan3530 said:

Maybe you agree to eat Grienke's contract and you don't have to give up as big of a package?

I floated this a few pages back and you know, right after posting it I kinda regretted it.  If we ate all or most of that deal, it'd hamstring us to do anything for a couple seasons.  Even on the trade market, you add his 30+ mil to Machado/Harper's 30+ mil, gonna get tough to have wiggle room to augment for a bit.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

He'll likely be the starting CF for the Sox before he's the starting RF.  He's definitely ahead of Robert in his development.  I could see Gonzalez roaming CF in Chicago by August, honestly. 

He probably could've been in AA last year. That's why he might be the kind of guy who barely stays in Charlotte just because he's so polished. 

10 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

What SP's would you guys even target? Luis Castillo of the Reds possibly?

If you sign Machado and you really want to play this game - you realize that you now have your infield sewn up and you are not moving Moncada away from 2b any time soon because you're not starting over with development and a rookie if your team is competitive, so Madrigal is your top trade bait. Who has the best starting pitchers available on the trade market? We don't like the answer but it's Cleveland. A deal for one of their starters with Madrigal and someone else from our 5-10 range as 2 key pieces...that could work if the Indians didn't hate Madrigal. And conveniently, it would make the Central division more attainable in 2019.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Well Harper was offered at least $300mil depending on reports. Boras just wants more. Arenado is asking for $30mil in arb, so its hard to imagine that next year hell want less than $30mil per year.

I think the saying is "it only takes 1." 

I personally think that the dam is going to break soon. When you look at a list of top paid MLB players a lot of them are past their prime. Owners can only keep salaries down for so long. Eventually some team sells or a different owner decides to break the bank again. 

Oh I think teams are willing to pay 30 mill for the prime years of a contract and can get pulled into the tail ends of the contract, what I don't believe is only taking a 2 year contract getting the AAV you wants will open up more opportunity for the age 29-34 years of your contract. You may be faced again with shorter deals than you want and lower AAV. There is no guarantee. Also injury.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres