Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

8 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

While I TOTALLY agree with you, don't you think if we say "screw it." and give an offer of like 325 mil they wouldnt just do the same thing as they are doing to us now? May as well stay the course at this lower figure and move up as necessary. I, to, am impatient and tired but if our offer gets topped I would think we would have the opportunity to up our offer again. In Hahn I trust.

Because by everything coming out right now, he has us, the Phillies, maybe a mystery team and maybe the Yankees. You can probably take out the Yankees and mystery team by going to a 34-35/year avg. If the Phillies are truly more concerned with Harper, they will not or be reluctant to meet that offer. Manny would have no other suitors. 

Edited by Sockin

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

Problem is sox need one of these guys to be taken seriously. Unfortunately its the price to pay. You guys think the cubs would have be taken seriously if they wouldn't have shelled out of Heyward? 

They won 97 games the year before

Just now, fathom said:

No, that's what Lester was for them

And again, the Cubs had the mystique and the drought, players bought into it because they wanted to be on the team that won it after so many failed. The White Sox have nothing close to that. And if they think they do, they're delusional. 

1 minute ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

While I TOTALLY agree with you, don't you think if we say "screw it." and give an offer of like 325 mil they wouldnt just do the same thing as they are doing to us now? May as well stay the course at this lower figure and move up as necessary. I, to, am impatient and tired but if our offer gets topped I would think we would have the opportunity to up our offer again. In Hahn I trust.

Exactly. At this point, if we give an extra $30 million, how do we know Manny even accepts it?  Like Balta has been saying, what needs to happen now is Hahn asking Manny's camp what number they would sign for.  Then you negotiate and try to meet in the middle. You don't just throw extra money at him and hope he accepts.

It's hard to sit back and wait, but at this point, what other team is going to swoop in and sign him?  I like our chances, but I have no idea how long it will take to find a number (and opt out agreements) that both sides agree on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Exactly. At this point, if we give an extra $30 million, how do we know Manny even accepts it?  Like Balta has been saying, what needs to happen now is Hahn asking Manny's camp what number they would sign for.  Then you negotiate and try to meet in the middle. You don't just throw extra money at him and hope he accepts.

It's hard to sit back and wait, but at this point, what other team is going to swoop in and sign him?  I like our chances, but I have no idea how long it will take to find a number (and opt out agreements) that both sides agree on.

He wants to reach the 300 million mark according to Passan on the radio today

It just seems like 8/260-270 as everyone is saying is that goldilocks compromise position and high enough that others won't get there with philly out. This is all fun but I'm really not that worried.

You ain't turning down 7/230 for 2 for 80, it's a massive offsetting risk. Sox are just above that "eff it" threshold and that's good but they'll have to go up a bit and they know it and machado will have to go down a bit and they know it and all will be well.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

He wants to reach the 300 million mark according to Passan on the radio today

I would have no problem doing 9/305 if it makes him happy and he isn't bluffing. If the Sox are so frustrated with how this is going down then I can only imagine how frustrated Manny is. This dude knows how good he is. The Sox getting two players who are close to him in the hopes that he maybe takes a little less to come here, especially when everyone knows how much payroll they have available, is ridiculous and to be honest a little insulting to Manny. 

Edited by Sockin

11 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Problem is sox need one of these guys to be taken seriously. Unfortunately its the price to pay. You guys think the cubs would have be taken seriously if they wouldn't have shelled out of Heyward? 

Isn't that what the Nationals did with Werth?  I think everyone acknowledged it was an overpay at the time.

19 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Yes I did.   Everyone is radio silent today.    Weird.  When I went to bed last night everything was going like I was told it would.  Even Merkin was speaking in past tense   But remember what I said today Reinsdorf is now involved.  And I would expect he’s at the Governor’s inauguration which means that any hiccups can’t be dealt with.    I’ll keep trying to get information.  

Radio silent is usually a good thing when it comes to the White Sox.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s do 9/$300M and call it a day.

Then you will get 9 tweets after that.  1 stating the terms of the proposal, leaked by the agent.  The next will be Bruce Levine posting that the sox are not going over 3 years and 10 per year.  the next tweet will be from a foreign source repeating the terms of the team.  Then a mystery team will be in offering 10 years + and a higher AAV.  As long as they come out with one of the two superstars, thats all that matters.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I agree they shouldn’t, but they also shouldn’t go around acting like they’re ready to take the training wheels off if they’re not ready to ride without them.

if they’re going to bite on signing guys like Pollock and others in addition to Machado then take the training wheels off and ride like big boys. If the answer is they’re too young, then act like it. 

You can sign Machado, and sign a few stopgap guys that don't cost a ton and should help in 2019 and don't block the future or cost us assets. Don't see what the issue is there. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and find yourself in contention in this horseshit division in July.  I don't think trading major assets for SP is the right move right now.  I would, however, trade a guy like Rutherford a couple other guys between 15-30 for a controllable SP. But I would not move anyone better than Rutherford.  

Just my personal take. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Then you will get 9 tweets after that.  1 stating the terms of the proposal, leaked by the agent.  The next will be Bruce Levine posting that the sox are not going over 3 years and 10 per year.  the next tweet will be from a foreign source repeating the terms of the team.  Then a mystery team will be in offering 10 years + and a higher AAV.  As long as they come out with one of the two superstars, thats all that matters.

Lol...this is spot-on.  That being said, I’m just of the mindset that at some point you got to stop fucking around and find a price that works for both sides.  If $300M is the magic number, make it over 9 or 10 years and demand any opt-out is after year 4.  Ultimately all that matters is we land one of the whales, but no will be ok if they get too cute, overplay their hand, and allow a team to sneak into this process.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres