Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

14 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

I agree with the success part.  If it fails, Mr. Reinsdorf doesn't have decades.  This will be attached to him for the remainder of his ownership.  It is a stigma that will be with the Sox until a new owner comes in.

It won't though. People will hold on to the grudge whether it is rational or not, no matter what happens. 

Might have been mentioned already but Fangraphs has an interesting article today about Manny's value (>$300M) and comparisons to players at similar age/production. On a cautionary note, Jason Heyward is a comp. Article suggests Mannys market might be negatively affected by Heyward overhang. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It won't though. People will hold on to the grudge whether it is rational or not, no matter what happens. 

If you're a Bulls fan you're already ready to go over the edge.  If they don't get this done, given the last decade of futility I'm leaping headfirst into apathy and cynicism.  In fact, other members can hope the apathy gets me so that my posts won't litter the board.  It's gonna be like a Shields game day thread turned to 11 when I'm around.

• Haha 1

Just now, Flash said:

Might have been mentioned already but Fangraphs has an interesting article today about Manny's value (>$300M) and comparisons to players at similar age/production. On a cautionary note, Jason Heyward is a comp. Article suggests Mannys market might be negatively affected by Heyward overhang. 

I don't even see how. Heyward only had a couple good years with the bat.

• Thanks 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

If you're a Bulls fan you're already ready to go over the edge.  If they don't get this done, given the last decade of futility I'm leaping headfirst into apathy and cynicism.  In fact, other members can hope the apathy gets me so that my posts won't litter the board.  It's gonna be like a Shields game day thread turned to 11 when I'm around.

So how do we tell the difference? Lol.

Just now, Flash said:

Meh.  Heyward has been Gordon Beckham'ing his swing into the shitter for almost half a decade now.  Manny is coming off another great offensive year and also appears to be completely healthy.  No reason to compare the two other than to post a Fangraphs piece in the dead of winter in an ice cold hot stove market and get those clicks.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Maybe, as they polish their big trophy they made for themselves labeled “hardest tryers”, they will think “was it worth it? Could we have used the money we spent on our try hard trophy to actually sign the player? No. It is the fans who are wrong”

Yes, because the fans who know everything. 

So I have been super busy with work all day and haven’t had too much opportunity to keep tabs on the MM sitch. Judging by the posts in here now you would think he is in the verge of signing elsewhere. 

I don’t think that’s the case from what I have looked over so far and what I am seeing on Twitter but I could be mistaken? 

Just now, shipps said:

So I have been super busy with work all day and haven’t had too much opportunity to keep tabs on the MM sitch. Judging by the posts in here now you would think he is in the verge of signing elsewhere. 

I don’t think that’s the case from what I have looked over so far and what I am seeing on Twitter but I could be mistaken? 

The situation is day to day.  Aren't we all.

Whatever the final terms on Machado or Harper, few will argue it was prohibitively expensive for the Sox. 

(Maybe it's easier to cheer for the Cardinals, their fans are conditioned to not spending but also winning baseball more often than not.)

It would of course be so Sox for the rebuild to actually work but 50% are still holding a grudge over the fact that they won't or wouldn't add a player to get them over the top.

Edited by caulfield12

On 1/14/2019 at 4:13 PM, xSouthsider2 said:

Forgot to mention... Sorry, I have NO sources.

All you will get from me is my opinions. Opinions based on all my years as a Sox fan. During that time a few great times, especially 2005, something I had thought would NEVER happen in my lifetime. But I want MORE WS wins. No more Dybzinski falling on his ass with what would have been the winning run in 83, with Cy Young winner Lamarr Hoyt waiting to pitch game five and put us in the WS in 83. No more allowing those bastards in Toronto to steal Black Jack McDowell pitches and keep us out of the WS in 93. No more having a pitcher with no balls starting game one in 2008 and immediately losing a three run lead that Dewayne Wise gave us with a three run homer in the first. And no more losing two double headers to losing teams in September and blowing a pennant in 1967, and then starting 1968 with 12 straight LOSSES.

So, my opinion on Machado? We sign him for over $300 million "IF" Hahn and KW play their cards right. Can't mess this up. I hope they know this. They have put us in too deep to not succeed. We get neither "whale" and we look like losers to the rest of baseball. 

Just for the record it was 10 straight losses to open the 1968 season. let's not make it any worse than it was.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I saw someone make a good point. It sure seems like Hector Gomez has an “in” with the Machado negotiations. He was the first reporter to definitively say the Yankees were out, and he’s the first one with actual salary figures. 

Maybe the FO should sign him!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, shipps said:

I just got out of work myself and have been trying to follow along as well throughout the day but from what I’ve gotten is people are arguing on Twitter whether the offer is 7 or 8 years and we are upset because the whitesox are cheap and worried about what the local reporters are putting out and Sox haven’t budged? Did I miss anything else?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres