Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

You guys are seriously under-rating Yolmer because the Sox over relied on him in a shit  year.  

He is the EXACT sort of guy you need as a good team.   He's a guy you protect against LHP as well, not that our manager would recognize that.  He's bene league avarege by both bWAR and fWAR basically for his career.  That's fucking  useful.  And he plays an emergency SS.  That's like the holy grail of a utility guy and he slashed 255/316/408 against RHP (note that .153 iso...room for that BABIB to come up and his surprising pop to show, especially platooned).

anyways, he's a good utility guy.  cutting him would be stupid AF.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Good night everyone, I hope something breaks tonight that makes us happy again. I also hope nothing breaks tomorrow that makes us sad again. 

Don't worry, that cycle will occur multiple times. In fact, it happened on each side of your post. KnightsOnMintSt is asking about the chances of us offering a straight $210 million, and SS2K5 is saying, probably in sarcasm, 100%. Where did that come from? Who knows. It didn't come from a renowned source. All the sources have done is say 7 years rather than 8. Yet multiple posters are picking up on it, and many more probably will. So everyone will stumble into some sort of depression. Then some random blue-check will come along, say something slightly positive, and everyone will perk up again.

Round and round we go, when we stop, no one can know!

Psychologists interested in groupthink and the thought processes of cattle herds should study these threads. It'd be a fucking goldmine.

• Like 1

I don’t buy any of the Alonso and Jay help us now w/ or w/out Machado.  No way we stunt the rebuild with those two and no Manny.  Those two were brought in with Machado already in tow.  

We are secretly working on Bryce to complete the daily double.  We won’t announce Manny because it hurts Bryce’s negotiation and keeps Phillies occupied with both versus fully focusing on Bryce.  

But it appears word leaked to Phils and they put on full court press on Bryce and Sox frustrated as a result.  So Sox are playing the confusion game having various people throw out all sorts of Manny rumors and keeping Phils at least mildly involved w Manny.

yes, Rick and Kenny are geniuses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Or better yet, the old KW bromide.

"Even without Manny Machado or Bryce Harper, we feel extremely confident that the rest of the league is just putting themselves in a better position to compete with the Chicago White Sox, especially after all of playoff-experienced veteran leaders were added to the best young core in the game today."

It's cute looking back on how much KW was mocked for that quote, considering the Sox won the division and finished 14.5 games ahead of the last place Tigers.

I don’t recall seeing this mentioned, but Melvin Upton was on MLB Network and he said coming from experience that playing with family on the same team is very special and in his case absolutely would play a part in the decision making of where to sign. Also said if there was a big difference in money, you almost have to go with the big money. Nothing we didn’t already know/feel but at least it’s from the perspective of a guy who played with his brother.

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don’t recall seeing this mentioned, but Melvin Upton was on MLB Network and he said coming from experience that playing with family on the same team is very special and in his case absolutely would play a part in the decision making of where to sign. Also said if there was a big difference in money, you almost have to go with the big money. Nothing we didn’t already know/feel but at least it’s from the perspective of a guy who played with his brother.

He was an odd guest, ridiculously quiet and reserved.  He said $10 mil difference is "nothing, taxes!" and he'd rather play with family.  

Really, 220/7 isn't awful, as it is still roughly 31.4M AAV.(it isn't good either) 200/7 IS awful, because IMO anything below 30M AAV is insulting. It would have to be at LEAST 7/210 to get his attention. I'll be shocked if Machado signs for less than 30M AAV. I'm just shocked the offers aren't closer to 35M AAV. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

53 minutes ago, heirdog said:

I don’t buy any of the Alonso and Jay help us now w/ or w/out Machado.  No way we stunt the rebuild with those two and no Manny.  Those two were brought in with Machado already in tow.  

We are secretly working on Bryce to complete the daily double.  We won’t announce Manny because it hurts Bryce’s negotiation and keeps Phillies occupied with both versus fully focusing on Bryce.  

But it appears word leaked to Phils and they put on full court press on Bryce and Sox frustrated as a result.  So Sox are playing the confusion game having various people throw out all sorts of Manny rumors and keeping Phils at least mildly involved w Manny.

yes, Rick and Kenny are geniuses.

I like the positive thinking, but there is no way one team signs both players. Boras and Lozano hate each other, so I can’t imagine them sharing the spotlight with their 2 big free agents. 

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

the sox granting him FA would have him in a celebratory mood I'd imagine (after a quick pep talk with his agent), as he'd be free of his arb years.  He's a 1.0-2.5 WAR player than can play 4 positions.  There's a spot for him on every roster in MLB.  If the Sox are dumb enough to cut him I hope he turns into Lindor Light.  He's actually an example of their scouting and development working.  If they had a few more Yolmers around post 2005 maybe they aren't here right now.

Eduardo Escobar, and most assuredly NOT Andy Gonzalez, lol

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres