Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think that's wrong. You make the offer that is what your front office thinks is the right one and the market dictates and you don't overpay it just to make him "happy." I mean Manny actually has some red flags. At some point you make a fair offer and whatever will be will be.

What?  You low ball without offending and start there.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think its as simple as the White Sox originally offered 7/$175M.  They've since verbally said 8/$250M is their max offer.  No one else is even close.  Philly is interested but hasn't given an offer higher than 8/$250M, and MM prefers Chicago to Philly. Manny is still holding out for $300M from someone, and is willing to wait it out for now.  He knows the 8/$250M from the Sox will still be there.  

I think that's all there is to it boys.  So we wait to see who says uncle first.  

The longer this drags out though, I think the possibility of him taking a 1 yr deal increases. I could totally see a surprise team jumping in and doing something like that. If he’s not happy signing his contract, that will only make his tenure on the team worse. Especially if he has to sit through a few bad seasons til the rebuild is over.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

The longer this drags out though, I think the possibility of him taking a 1 yr deal increases. I could totally see a surprise team jumping in and doing something like that. If he’s not happy signing his contract, that will only make his tenure on the team worse. Especially if he has to sit through a few bad seasons til the rebuild is over.

That's my biggest concern at the moment. He takes a one-year prove-it deal and the Sox face much stiffer competition for him next offseason. The time is now. The Sox need Machado.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

What makes next year any better when there are some pitchers out there and a couple of third baseman one just as good......and a year older. 

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

There is no way in the world Manny Machado turns down 8/$250M to sign a 1/$40M or 2/$80M type deal.  0% chance.  None, notta, nothing.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think its as simple as the White Sox originally offered 7/$175M.  They've since verbally said 8/$250M is their max offer.  No one else is even close.  Philly is interested but hasn't given an offer higher than 8/$250M, and MM prefers Chicago to Philly. Manny is still holding out for $300M from someone, and is willing to wait it out for now.  He knows the 8/$250M from the Sox will still be there.  

I think that's all there is to it boys.  So we wait to see who says uncle first.  

That's pretty much where I'm at as well

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is no way in the world Manny Machado turns down 8/$250M to sign a 1/$40M or 2/$80M type deal.  0% chance.  None, notta, nothing.  

Maybe not 8/250, but 7/175, I'd say its better chance he accepts a 1/40 than 7/175.

Players unions have say and power.

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

What makes next year any better when there are some pitchers out there and a couple of third baseman one just as good......and a year older. 

Idk. It could be a risk he’s willing to take if he wants to prove a point. Grandal just did it. Older player, but who actually thought he would take a 1 yr. deal?

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That’s assuming that’s the real offer on the table. I tend to believe it is, however what if the 7/175 is legit? You have to entertain the idea that it could be, no matter how unlikely. I don’t think he accepts that. What’s the Yankees payroll look like heading into 2020? If they have a lot of money coming off the books I could see Manny trying this all over again with them next offseason.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Idk. It could be a risk he’s willing to take if he wants to prove a point. Grandal just did it. Older player, but who actually thought he would take a 1 yr. deal?

That’s assuming that’s the real offer on the table. I tend to believe it is, however what if the 7/175 is legit? You have to entertain the idea that it could be, no matter how unlikely. I don’t think he accepts that. What’s the Yankees payroll look like heading into 2020? If they have a lot of money coming off the books I could see Manny trying this all over again with them next offseason.

No I don't.  Literally the only people saying 7/$175M are Levine and Nightendale.  Its been disputed over and over and over again by others.  I don't doubt the Sox origianlly offered 7/$175M, but I do think they've since offered 8/$250M, or something in that ballpark.  

14 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

That's my biggest concern at the moment. He takes a one-year prove-it deal and the Sox face much stiffer competition for him next offseason. The time is now. The Sox need Machado.

Prove what? It's not like he had a disappointing season that he has to make up for. I don't see how things would be any different next offseason. 

1 minute ago, kevo880 said:

Prove what? It's not like he had a disappointing season that he has to make up for. I don't see how things would be any different next offseason. 

Well If you believed a certain portion of the Internet, Manny is the worst human being in major professional sports

Just now, kevo880 said:

With Machado being low balled to this degree, my concern is he'll insist on an opt out after year 3 to test free agency in the new CBA. I think it's very likely the financial pendulum swings back closer towards players once that's negotiated. But I don't see any reason to think the free agency landscape will be any better for him until a new CBA is in place.

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It depends on whether or not he wants to bet on himself. There is considerable risk, but it could pay off. 

It isn't as crazy as you think it is. It would take los cajones grandes, but there is a non-zero chance that he does it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I don't know about anything anymore, but one interesting thing to consider in light of the comparison to JD Martinez is that this deal may be pretty complicated like Martinez's was. A lot of forking paths where the team has to decide to keep him at a high price or risk losing him.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No I don't.  Literally the only people saying 7/$175M are Levine and Nightendale.  Its been disputed over and over and over again by others.  I don't doubt the Sox origianlly offered 7/$175M, but I do think they've since offered 8/$250M, or something in that ballpark.  

So because more people say something that automatically makes it true? That’s a really bad application of logic. None of us know anything about this situation with 100% certainty, so we cannot talk in absolutes. There is a chance that is the offer. I believe it is extremely slim, but I still cannot completely ignore it because I don’t like the idea of it being legit. Until a deal is signed, it’s just a guessing game.

Just now, Jake said:

I don't know about anything anymore, but one interesting thing to consider in light of the comparison to JD Martinez is that this deal may be pretty complicated like Martinez's was. A lot of forking paths where the team has to decide to keep him at a high price or risk losing him.

Definitely, and that hasn't scared JR before.

I still think the albert belle contract was good personally.

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So because more people say something that automatically makes it true? That’s a really bad application of logic. None of us know anything about this situation with 100% certainty, so we cannot talk in absolutes. There is a chance that is the offer. I believe it is extremely slim, but I still cannot completely ignore it because I don’t like the idea of it being legit. Until a deal is signed, it’s just a guessing game.

7 for $175 is not a false report because more people are claiming it's false.  It's false because it makes zero sense.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres