yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

5 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Nightengale saying basically same as Bruce, their numbers were right.  Sox haven't moved on initial offer, 7 years under 200.  He definitely sounds more confident than Bruce did.

No way they are going to back down from their reports now, maybe the beginning of next week they will not necessarily admit they were wrong but report a “new” offer of what Gomez is doubling down on.

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

No way they are going to back down from their reports now, maybe the beginning of next week they will not necessarily admit they were wrong but report a “new” offer of what Gomez is doubling down on.

Absolutely.  They go back on their initial reports, they'll be reporting on high school basketball by Monday.

9 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Absolutely.  They go back on their initial reports, they'll be reporting on high school basketball by Monday.

Lol while I think that would be funny I just don’t think anybody cares enough about sports journalism for this to matter. 

I mean there’s no investigative aspect to this like Woodward and Bernstein uncovering a conspiracy.

This is a bunch of grown men sadly waiting to hear something from somebody who knows something and SOMEHOW calling this activity a scoop.   It’s like feeding a group of pigeons.

I feel so sorry that humans have to stoop so low to rename what they are doing to sound pro.  All they are doing is sitting around like sad little puppies waiting for a treat- and they call it scooping a story for some reason.  I’d rather clean truck stop shitters than be a sports journalist in 2019

9 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

One thing I've learned from all of this is how clueless Yankees fans are about baseball

Best username and pic on this site. How did that name not exist yet?

Usually I feel I can get some sort of sense as to what is going on. But after yesterday, I really just am not sure. My only explanation is that nobody really has a clue. That all of these conflicting "sauces" really dont have any insight and are basically just speculating. That the bar for "sauces" is so low that people are just repeating things because otherwise there would be 0 to report.

Otherwise its a battle of "sauces" and I guess the "sauce" you like depends on what you want to happen.

My no sauce feeling right now is that the Sox are closer to getting 0 than 2, but that somehow they still find a way to get Machado. I think that while economically I understand not wanting to pay, and sticking to "My offer is the best so you have to take it" that its not how I would go forward. I think that even if the Sox are the best offer at $175mil, I think they need to substantially increase it to make Machado happy and get this relationship off to the right start. 

It just makes no sense the Sox are willing to invest $20-$30mil this offseason on random guys, but wont give Machado the type of money his previous performance deserves.

I guess maybe the Sox feel emboldened after what happened with JD Martinez last yaer. But even then, Martinez was older and played a less premium position. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think that even if the Sox are the best offer at $175mil, I think they need to substantially increase it to make Machado happy and get this relationship off to the right start. 

I think that's wrong. You make the offer that is what your front office thinks is the right one and the market dictates and you don't overpay it just to make him "happy." I mean Manny actually has some red flags. At some point you make a fair offer and whatever will be will be.

• Like 1

I think its as simple as the White Sox originally offered 7/$175M.  They've since verbally said 8/$250M is their max offer.  No one else is even close.  Philly is interested but hasn't given an offer higher than 8/$250M, and MM prefers Chicago to Philly. Manny is still holding out for $300M from someone, and is willing to wait it out for now.  He knows the 8/$250M from the Sox will still be there.  

I think that's all there is to it boys.  So we wait to see who says uncle first.  

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

There were 22 other Big Sexys.

Also because Bartolo is a piece of shit human being, people only love him because he's fat and old.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think that's wrong. You make the offer that is what your front office thinks is the right one and the market dictates and you don't overpay it just to make him "happy." I mean Manny actually has some red flags. At some point you make a fair offer and whatever will be will be.

What?  You low ball without offending and start there.  

I don’t know if I missed it on here somehow, but I just got an At-Bat notification that the Phillies dream scenario is Harper and Trout. Does that mean they’re getting away from Machado...?

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think its as simple as the White Sox originally offered 7/$175M.  They've since verbally said 8/$250M is their max offer.  No one else is even close.  Philly is interested but hasn't given an offer higher than 8/$250M, and MM prefers Chicago to Philly. Manny is still holding out for $300M from someone, and is willing to wait it out for now.  He knows the 8/$250M from the Sox will still be there.  

I think that's all there is to it boys.  So we wait to see who says uncle first.  

The longer this drags out though, I think the possibility of him taking a 1 yr deal increases. I could totally see a surprise team jumping in and doing something like that. If he’s not happy signing his contract, that will only make his tenure on the team worse. Especially if he has to sit through a few bad seasons til the rebuild is over.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

The longer this drags out though, I think the possibility of him taking a 1 yr deal increases. I could totally see a surprise team jumping in and doing something like that. If he’s not happy signing his contract, that will only make his tenure on the team worse. Especially if he has to sit through a few bad seasons til the rebuild is over.

That's my biggest concern at the moment. He takes a one-year prove-it deal and the Sox face much stiffer competition for him next offseason. The time is now. The Sox need Machado.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

There were 22 other Big Sexys.

Also because Bartolo is a piece of shit human being, people only love him because he's fat and old.

not many people know his personal life lol

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

What makes next year any better when there are some pitchers out there and a couple of third baseman one just as good......and a year older. 

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

There is no way in the world Manny Machado turns down 8/$250M to sign a 1/$40M or 2/$80M type deal.  0% chance.  None, notta, nothing.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I honestly couldn't tell ya.....guy had two stints with the soutsiders

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's pretty much where I'm at as well

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is no way in the world Manny Machado turns down 8/$250M to sign a 1/$40M or 2/$80M type deal.  0% chance.  None, notta, nothing.  

Maybe not 8/250, but 7/175, I'd say its better chance he accepts a 1/40 than 7/175.

Players unions have say and power.

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

What makes next year any better when there are some pitchers out there and a couple of third baseman one just as good......and a year older. 

Idk. It could be a risk he’s willing to take if he wants to prove a point. Grandal just did it. Older player, but who actually thought he would take a 1 yr. deal?

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That’s assuming that’s the real offer on the table. I tend to believe it is, however what if the 7/175 is legit? You have to entertain the idea that it could be, no matter how unlikely. I don’t think he accepts that. What’s the Yankees payroll look like heading into 2020? If they have a lot of money coming off the books I could see Manny trying this all over again with them next offseason.

55 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Some one is going to lose big in this. EIther Dan Lozano or the Media will look like idiots.

Not really. If Manny ends up signing a bigger deal, they can just claim that at the time, 7 for $175 was the offer.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Idk. It could be a risk he’s willing to take if he wants to prove a point. Grandal just did it. Older player, but who actually thought he would take a 1 yr. deal?

That’s assuming that’s the real offer on the table. I tend to believe it is, however what if the 7/175 is legit? You have to entertain the idea that it could be, no matter how unlikely. I don’t think he accepts that. What’s the Yankees payroll look like heading into 2020? If they have a lot of money coming off the books I could see Manny trying this all over again with them next offseason.

No I don't.  Literally the only people saying 7/$175M are Levine and Nightendale.  Its been disputed over and over and over again by others.  I don't doubt the Sox origianlly offered 7/$175M, but I do think they've since offered 8/$250M, or something in that ballpark.  

14 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

That's my biggest concern at the moment. He takes a one-year prove-it deal and the Sox face much stiffer competition for him next offseason. The time is now. The Sox need Machado.

Prove what? It's not like he had a disappointing season that he has to make up for. I don't see how things would be any different next offseason.