yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I hate that "swellopt" became a thing

Infloption

13 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I don't know how well the swellopt explains the different contract figures. It might explain the years, but I don't think it would explain the different numbers. As far as I can tell from the other swellopts this year, it doesn't include any sort of second signing bonus or increased salary during the contract, just extra years and whatever salary those are agreed to at. So if the option is for one or two years at the end of the contract, you would think those would only be for $30m/yr max. If the 7/$175 figure is correct, that would only increase it to 8/$205 and even that would mean the last year was a higher AAV than the rest of the contract. If you think the figure might be closer to the 8/$240 we were hearing before, then maybe the 7 year offer is for $210 in which case the final year would be for the same AAV as the rest of the contract. That I could see being the discussion, but it still doesn't explain the 7/$175 offer we heard. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agency-scott-boras-may-have-a-creative-contract-solution-for-the-bryce-harper-and-manny-machado-markets/amp/

This is a great explanation. 

if we don't get machado maybe Mark Teahen will come out of retirement for us

Edited by BigSexy23
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

if we don't get machado maybe Mark Teahen will come out of retirement for us

You mean if we can't convince Teahen to come out of retirement, I suppose we can settle for Machado.  

• Like 1

Just now, Peacock Wrestler said:

You mean if we can't convince Teahen to come out of retirement, I suppose we can settle for Machado.  

Not spending the extra $ for Jeff Keppinger would be typical JR.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Yeah, I get all that, but those still have the per year salary of the option years being less than the per year salary of the beginning of the contract. So it still doesn't make sense with the 7/$175 deal because the last year or two would max out at $25m/yr and that would only bring the contract to 8/$200 or 9/$225 and both of those seem lower than what has been reported. 

30 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

I would love for a documentary to come out on something like this.  Follow Manny's  (any big name free agent) camp and see how things are behind the scenes with offers, rumors, etc.  

I would love a tell-all book or something! For all the behind the scenes stuff we won't know about. 

How long has it been since we've gone a day without any rumors?

Follow-up, how long will it take for a national guy to sneak out of timeout and reach back in the cookie jar?

Edited by mqr

Just now, smellysox said:

I would love a tell-all book or something! For all the behind the scenes stuff we won't know about. 

It would be awesome to see which leaks are true, the negotiation process, Manny's feelings throughout, etc.

I wonder if Lozano is desperate for a huge payday again. Been awhile since the Pujols contract... given the deadspin article, unless he has changed he likely could have blown through most of that money by now. 

22 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

As long as they can get Mark Kotsay back I'm good

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If it's true that Lozano and Reinsdorf have "developed a great relationship", that is HUGE for us.

Not that I'm complaining, but Lozano probably became who he thought JR would love to deal with. A professional negotiator. By all means, Lozano may no longer be a sleaze, but I think he does know the White Sox are his best chance at getting his next big payday, which unfortunately for him means dealing with JR. He may secretly hate working with JR, but he has no choice and has to act the role necessary to get paid. 

/tinfoilhat

1 minute ago, lockwood243 said:

B R E N T   M O R E L

As much as I'd like the move I think that would put us in the luxury tax.   It's going to be a crazy bidding war for his services.  

5 minutes ago, lockwood243 said:

B R E N T   M O R E L

D O O M S H R O O M

And it all comes down to one thing. When the rubber meets the road who blinks first. This is all part of a complex ritual. If the Sox know they have a chunk of dough to play with they can act coy. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

We all know Manny wants to go to the Yankees. The only reason he is entertaining other offers is money. So if he still goes to the Yankees, it was because the other teams, including the White Sox, failed to offer him enough money. It's pretty simple. It's not calling them cheap, it's saying they didn't offer enough. 

I have to agree. I hope that Machado signs with the Sox, but if he doesn't it won't be the first time I have been disappointed as a White Sox fan and I am sure it won't be the last. BUT, I sure hope the Sox get it done!