Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I feel like most sox fans have put that idea out of there heads. Of course, I could be really wrong and the harper thread will reach 400 pages 

Not at all. Within the first couple of hours if Sox sign Machado whitesox talk amongst Sox fans will immediately transition to Harper. Guaranteed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's a shame that after the Jay signing, this thread wasn't named "Mucho Dinero for Machado's Muchachos" 

Anyway Incarcerated Bob is just putting 2+2 together. Padres as the mystery team makes  way too much sense. Purely an educated guess. 

Yep, agreed.

28 minutes ago, shipps said:

Not at all. Within the first couple of hours if Sox sign Machado whitesox talk amongst Sox fans will immediately transition to Harper. Guaranteed. 

You give it a couple hours? Try couple minutes.....the first message is going to be thank god we landed the whale, time to move on and put the press onto Harper!

2 hours ago, xSouthsider2 said:

These freaking players are ruining the game for fans and their families. Almost have to take out a loan to take the family to the games. YES, LONGORIA, IT IS OUR MONEY! Yes, the owners are a bunch of greedy a-holes too. But they are running a business. What business does NOT try to keep their costs down? I watched Adam Dunn and James Shields continue to show up year after year to get their checks while they sucked the big one. If the players are thinking of striking because Machado may have to SETTLE for ONLY $200 MILLION instead of $300 MILLION, they better think twice. There are OTHER ways to spend my money. I have NOT watched an NFL game since the kneeling started. We Sox fans got screwed in 94 because of this same greed. Owners AND players better think twice about all this.

Well looks like I have a new poster to block. My lord. 

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

I really hope that’s not the case. If the Sox alter the franchise and sign Machado, we all win. Signing one seemed like a pipe dream a year ago. Signing both? Come on

Yep celebrate if they land one. If Manny picks first and it’s not the Sox, the Sox will get thrown into every Harper rumor.  

In the 7-10 year time span, the risk with 2 mega deals is massive.

Moustakas is a proven veteran, they can get some more bullpen help from the Padres along with one of their Latin American outfield prospects to provide depth and ride with Harper.

If things go south, they are still protected because a 2-3 year deal for Moose would have him leaving at the same time as Nola and many vets like Arrieta, Robertson and McCutcheon will be departing in roughly the same window...but they would have Harper to rebuild around and sell tickets at least.

The more you look at that roster...they’re not going to be set up well past 2021.  Theoretically, that’s where the four year opt-out could kick in.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

They better. If Machado doesn’t work, Everything has to go into Bryce. 

I believe part of the reason this is going to possibly last into the regular season is that there are two teams that are absolutely All-In on getting one of Harper or Machado, but at the same time aren't willing to break the bank for either because they still hold a realistic goal of getting both.

7 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yes, and honestly, I think they sign Harper too

Wouldn't that be great? Only problem a lot of older Sox fans are not used to that kind of stuff from our Sox. You might find some of us still sitting at our desks in front of our monitors(or tablets or phones for you modern techies) still looking at the screens and decomposing.

I still think they are after Bryce first and foremost.  

I like to think RH and the FO are super smart and way smarter than us.   So they go and sign Machados relatives as veteran upgrades, but more importantly, to get the sheepier people to think they are being pathetic and focusing on a Machado.  Everybody we’ve ever signed has been super secretive; why change that now?

Meanwhile they grab Bryce while the lil puppies are looking at the treats.  

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

I like to think RH and the FO are super smart and way smarter than us.   So they go and sign Machados relatives as veteran upgrades, but more importantly, to get the sheepier people to think they are being pathetic and focusing on a Machado.  Everybody weve ever signed has been super secretive; why change that now?

When was the last time they pursued this caliber of a player, never?

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I like to think RH and the FO are super smart and way smarter than us.   So they go and sign Machados relatives as veteran upgrades, but more importantly, to get the sheepier people to think they are being pathetic and focusing on a Machado.  Everybody we’ve ever signed has been super secretive; why change that now?

That scenario has crossed my mind, but it just seems like an awful lot of money and effort to expend on a misdirection. That would be quite a complex strategy. Most importantly, what would they be gaining by such a tactic? Would all of these overtures toward Machado be to simply convince Boras and his client, that they aren't really interested in acquiring him, because they prefer Machado? 

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres