yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

3 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

This thread has really slowed down in the last couple of days. Hopefully we get a little information to pick this thing back up!

I hope so. The weekends definitely help when it comes to being distracted. Being bored at work in front of a computer however.....

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I never understood the narrative that Sox Fest matters in any way at all. It's a group of a few thousand DIE HARD sox fans, many that probably post on this board along with kids/families. Those fans are going to be there regardless unless JR really drives this franchise into the ground. The event already sold their ticket packages and is a minimal revenue driver. Adding Machado doesn't add any revenue.. so what incentive at all does the FO have to sign anybody beforehand?

They just need to get the deal done before the season to get their marketing tuned up and ready to sell season ticket packages.

Harper and Manny likely have their destinations pretty well figured by now, but obviously the deals aren't blowing anybody away so no rush to sign them. MIght as well wait it out.

I think it matters a lot. Not for the few thousand fans that are there. For the media coverage. It's the most media coverage the team will get in the entire off-season.

• Like 1

The cubs convention was this weekend... it's all canned responses.... local media covers it a bit, but it doesn't make national news. Sox signing Machado will be national news. I don't care if Mark Giangreco gives an extra 30 seconds on his 5:00 sportscast to the Sox it equates to nothing in real life. nor do I care if the Score or Tribune cover it. The extra media coverage around SoxTalk does equate to dollars and cents or ticket packages sold. Signing Machado does. So if or when that happens really doesn't matter. (to me, that's my opinion.. obviously we're all different which is fine)

It really is a nothing event put on for autograph hounds, families, and die hard sox fans.

Coming from a nobody Cubs fan:

RT @MatthewS_Aung: Source: The #WhiteSox and Manny Machado are “Continuing to drift apart” in regards to a deal. 

I know some people have suggested that “Machado to the #WhiteSox” might be dead, but to my knowledge there’s still a slim possibility a deal could be reached.

11 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @MatthewS_Aung: Source: The #WhiteSox and Manny Machado are “Continuing to drift apart” in regards to a deal. 

I know some people have suggested that “Machado to the #WhiteSox” might be dead, but to my knowledge there’s still a slim possibility a deal could be reached.

Yeah I don't think anyone has suggested that

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Yeah I don't think anyone has suggested that

But Matthew Aung, who follows 3x the amount of those who follow him & occasionally writes on Cubs blogs, says so!

😅

17 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Angry cub fan still coming to grips after hearing at the cubs convention they won't be landing any whales. 

If this were true about Manny and the White Sox, the Moustakas rumor would have blown up again. ;)

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

This thread has really slowed down in the last couple of days. Hopefully we get a little information to pick this thing back up!

There really hasn't been much information so far in this thread. So I don't know why that would stop us now. :P

35 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Lmao. I would be bitter too if my team could only afford to sign Daniel Descalso because of all the horrible contracts they have now.

I don’t know about rest of you but the olney/nightingale/Lozano flap was a shark jumping moment for me. Kind of a sign that paying closer attention to it somehow made you know less.

At this point, the market for him is Sox and Phillies and market for Harper is Sox Phillies and maybe another team like dodgers, but even at their discount mystery teams aren’t as likely to jump out to the 200 mill level. 

Really feels like it’s Sox game to lose so I’m done getting lost in details.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t know about rest of you but the olney/nightingale/Lozano flap was a shark jumping moment for me. Kind of a sign that paying closer attention to it somehow made you know less.

At this point, the market for him is Sox and Phillies and market for Harper is Sox Phillies and maybe another team like dodgers, but even at their discount mystery teams aren’t as likely to jump out to the 200 mill level. 

That's how I feel. I've grown numb to this whole thing.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree. With the BS mystery team showing up this weekend, I think we might be near the endgame for this saga, with Manny trying to get the last few dollars out of the Sox. But it sure seems like we'll get zero news or anything of substance for several days or weeks and then suddenly it'll be Bam! Manny signs with Sox.

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I think it matters a lot. Not for the few thousand fans that are there. For the media coverage. It's the most media coverage the team will get in the entire off-season.

Unless they sign Machado.  If that happens, they won't need a convention to get the reporters out.  It will be a national news break and will call on the same local reporters who were at SoxFest to report the signing at that time.  Manny signing with the White Sox is bigger (to more people) than SoxFest, so anyone (who matters) covering SoxFest will cover that story if/when it happens.  

Edited by FT35

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I feel like Hector Gomez is just trying to make himself more famous by being Mannys insider / hype man. Getting close to trolling at this point. Has to keep his name out there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Who knows how legit that is but it was shared above.

Sorry, was working midnights - needed to sleep. Joe laurenzano shared this. He's the admin for the sight. It's from Friday night but I  just noticed it late last night. And it was up all weekend. 

They're talking about all the same stuff there that we are here. Hatgate, mystery team, the pederson trade.

Edited by smellysox

23 minutes ago, Orlando said:

There's still not a mystery team. If there were this would already be over for better or worse. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Who knows how legit that is but it was shared above.

I interpreted it as the Sox wanted to wrap it up.

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like Hector Gomez is just trying to make himself more famous by being Mannys insider / hype man. Getting close to trolling at this point. Has to keep his name out there. 

Yeah, it seems like he rolls with whatever anyone else says to get more followers. Sometimes contradicting his own words. There's no doubt he has insiders info but doesn't correct information that is false. In the interview with Manny father, his father never said that the Dodgers made an offer and never corrected the issue. Not one time was it mentioned that there was a mystery team.