Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

55 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think this only has to do with the Sox not caving in to Lozano's demands.  The Sox seem more than willing to wait this out.  No doubt Lozano is doing everything he can to draw in other bidders or to scare the Sox into increasing their offer.  It doesn't seem like he's succeeding in either, unless you buy the legitimacy of the "mystery team".  But it seems to me that mystery teams only show up when actual teams can't be found.

Manny isn't sitting out 2019, and he's not signing a short term deal.  IMO, the longer this goes on, the better the Sox position.  At some point, Lozano is going to have to re-engage the Sox on their current offer.

OR the more likely MM signs a 1-year deal with someone and tries his hand at the market next season in hopes that it's better. 

1 minute ago, peppers312 said:

OR the more likely MM signs a 1-year deal with someone and tries his hand at the market next season in hopes that it's better. 

MM is not turning down $200M+ to take a 1 year deal.  I promise you.  

1 minute ago, peppers312 said:

That is not likely, in that he knows that next year could have both Rendon and Arenado in the competition.

4 minutes ago, peppers312 said:

Not gonna happen. It's more likely that he sit's out entirely. And that is pretty much unimaginable

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

What is really interesting here is that Manny and his team have to decide if this kind of pricing is the new normal or a temporary thing that they should consider waiting out a year or two by taking a short term contract to try getting another bite at the apple in a short time period.

I think they'd be wrong in thinking it's going to get much better and would lose in the long run.  It's not getting better before 2022 the Union is probably going to try and fix the pay scales of younger guys first because teams aren't going to decide 30 year olds are worth a ton of money again.

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think they'd be wrong in thinking it's going to get much better and would lose in the long run.  It's not getting better before 2022 the Union is probably going to try and fix the pay scales of younger guys first because teams aren't going to decide 30 year olds are worth a ton of money again.

This is why I think a 3 year opt out is a must for both Harper and Machado. Honestly, because of the labor strife I don't know if it makes sense for the Sox to sign either. There would be no way in hell either would stay past 2021, and with a new CBA they'd get paid a LOT more. The sad thing is I don't think the Sox window even opens until 2021. They're going to lose at least 1/2 a season in what would be their window, and possibly an entire season. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is why I think a 3 year opt out is a must for both Harper and Machado. Honestly, because of the labor strife I don't know if it makes sense for the Sox to sign either. There would be no way in hell either would stay past 2021, and with a new CBA they'd get paid a LOT more. The sad thing is I don't think the Sox window even opens until 2021. They're going to lose at least 1/2 a season in what would be their window, and possibly an entire season. 

You've got me backwards. I don't believe a hypothetical strike is going to help the free agent market other than maybe letting guys get there quicker. Teams are making it clear they don't want to pay a premium for aging players, so the Union is going to have to fight to improve the situation of the pre-FA guys. This is all hypothetical, but I personally don't think more money is out there for Machado and Harper 3-4 years from now. 

Edited by mqr

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I want to say that the day to day schedule usually happens in the week before the Fest.  They announce who will be there early, but the details always take a while.

Pretty sure day-to-day schedule was announced the Friday before the last two years.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

MM is not turning down $200M+ to take a 1 year deal.  I promise you.  

if the "market" (or lack thereof) this year dictates it, why not? he'll still get a big contract this season and still be worth over $200M next season and may have more suitors next season. 

*shrurgs*

7 minutes ago, peppers312 said:

if the "market" (or lack thereof) this year dictates it, why not? he'll still get a big contract this season and still be worth over $200M next season and may have more suitors next season. 

*shrurgs*

He has some competition at 3B and there are a decent amount of front-of-the-rotation arms that will also be available. More players for teams to spend money on.

7 minutes ago, peppers312 said:

*shrurgs*

I would be shocked if Machado or Harper took 1 year deals and left gigantic amounts of money on the table. If they can't get what they want now, why risk seeing what happens a year from now? 

6 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I would be shocked if Machado or Harper took 1 year deals and left gigantic amounts of money on the table. If they can't get what they want now, why risk seeing what happens a year from now? 

And going through what is likely a pretty stressful process again in 10-11 months, when you're 1 year older, 1 less year of prime, and 1 full season of injury risk.  

It makes no sense.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres