Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

People talking about how Machado or Harper might reject all offers and take a 1-year contract to maximize their money next year should remember what Ian Desmond did with the Nationals. Has a huge year, declines a 7/$107M contract extension because he thinks he's worth more, than craters out and never gets anywhere near the contract that he could've.

Not to say Machado and Harper will fall off and not be worth money, but it's MIGHTY risky to eschew big contracts now for the chance of a big(ger) contract tomorrow. They would be betting on sustained production and health, and gambling that next year's market will be more favorable - no guarantees.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Lozano killed our constant stream of rumors by silencing Nightengale

More like the fake leaks stopped, wherever the source was coming from. It's better this way. Now if we could stop posting twitter randos as "rumors" we'd be even better off.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I would be shocked if Machado or Harper took 1 year deals and left gigantic amounts of money on the table. If they can't get what they want now, why risk seeing what happens a year from now? 

I would be shocked also. However, if either one does not like the choice(s) available, then maybe they d take a 1 year.  I can see a player gambling on a 1 year if they are completely unhappy with the teams offering them.  Agree they may be in the same boat next year, but a player may not want to go to a situation he does not like for 3 or 4 years before he can opt out.  Sometimes the player's ego has to be satisfied. 

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If the 1 in a trillion comes in and the Sox get outbid by the Pirates, they will deserve everything thrown at them. But really, there is a better chance the Cubs move to Rosemont after they are done renovating than that happening. 

So you are saying the Chicago Dogs are the mystery team?

Machado to the Dogs confirmed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Harper & Machado could both insist an opt out after 3/4 years once there's a new CBA is nonnegotiable. Top free agents will continue to find themselves in this predicament until a new CBA is signed.

The CBA won't be negotiated until 4 years have passed. A guy with an opt-out after 3 years could opt out in October and then find themselves stuck with no contract in the middle of a lockout on December 1, with no ability to sign a contract for several months and little time for teams to figure out the new CBA before the season starts. I don't know what preparation the agents are doing for that, but that sounds like a terrible place for a player to be. 

Conveniently, an opt out after 4 years should fit pretty well for the white sox. I'd do that.

6 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's funny how everyone keeps saying these guys want Stanton's deal. But in reality they are getting Stanton's deal. Stanton's AAV is 25 million, which is the same as 7/175. So I think the issue here is not the dollars, but the years of financial security. 9/225 may get things done. 

Not a perfect comparison, because Stanton signed away three arbitration years as part of the deal.  That brought down the AAV to some extent.

• Heads22 changed the title to Manny: There's even less news than the day before
50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am beginning to wonder if Manny Machado is a real person. 

I remember when I thought leaked numbers meant it was close

Now I remember that JD Martinez contract was basically well known for two months before he signed it.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

any chance you know why they're so late in getting the softest daily schedules out?

I don’t. I’ll ask around tomorrow and see if there’s an answer I can get for you. My guess is I won’t be able to but I’ll ask.  

I do know logistically on our end things are a little different this year so that could be part of it. But I don’t know.  

Edited by CBJ03
Update info
  • Thanks 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres