Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

Whether or not Machado played ss or 3b with us; timmy should be taking more of a , “whatever to help the team” attitude in front of the media.

I don't blame the guy for having a chip on his shoulder considering people have been moving him to Center since the day he was drafted. He's said in the past he'd be willing to move, and he's not saying he won't move here. 

He's saying I'm gonna try my hardest to make sure the best move for the team isn't moving me.

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IowaPG said:

Whether or not Machado played ss or 3b with us; timmy should be taking more of a , “whatever to help the team” attitude in front of the media.

He has in the past, I just think these players are so sick of everything being about Manny or Harper.  Timmy will tweet something that likely has nothing to do about baseball, and every response is about Manny.

• Like 1

Just now, IowaPG said:

According to Megan Mawicke on Twitter, Tim said he prefers shortstop, but then added he will do what the team wants him to do.  I've never heard of Mawicke until now, but I wouldn't mind if he said something like this.  

2 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

He's a competitor. He should want to keep his job because he's really good at it. He's earned it. He's better than Manny there so he belongs there. I have no issues with that.

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I don't blame the guy for having a chip on his shoulder considering Greg has been moving him to catcher since the day he was drafted.

He's saying I'm gonna try my hardest to make sure the best move for the team isn't moving me.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

FTFY

Took it a step farther.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

I mean yes...that's the "right" thing to say...but you know...I'm kind of ready for the wrong thing to be said if it's the RIGHT thing to say--it's RIGHT if it's true.  Come out and fight for your job.  The FIGHT is what we've been missing for a long time.  Wet noodle blanket statements of "whatever I need to do to help the team" do nothing in building the right culture.  Come in to camp, fight for your position with a World Class athlete and WIN it outright...THEN do whatever you can to help the team with your ACTIONS not words.  I think this is what Tim is doing!

Edited by FT35

18 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Call me crazy, but I think Tim Anderson has a shot at becoming a star.  He's kind of become written off because he didn't light the world on fire his first year, but I'm telling you...kid's got talent, edge and the will to win.  

Gotta love that TWTW......

2 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

I just saw that Palka was wearing a #63 jersey.  It probably doesn't mean anything, but it sounds like something we can over-speculate on.  

Machado will be wearing 18 for the Sox. Used 13 in Baltimore (can’t get Ozzie’s number), used 8 in LA (Bo Jackson). Take the 1 from 13 and add it to 8 and you have 18. I’m going to get mine printed today. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FT35 said:

I mean yes...that's the "right" thing to say...but you know...I'm kind of ready for the wrong thing to be said if it's the RIGHT thing to say--it's RIGHT if it's true.  Come out and fight for your job.  The FIGHT is what we've been missing for a long time.  Wet noodle blanket statements of "whatever I need to do to help the team" do nothing in building the right culture.  Come in to camp, fight for your position with a World Class athlete and WIN it outright...THEN do whatever you can to help the team with your ACTIONS not words.  I think this is what Tim is doing!

We don't know if Manny is still insisting he play SS. Maybe he will let the team he signs w decide which is what we all would want.  But there could also be Manny saying SS and whoever signs him agrees taking out the competition in ST. We shall see.  

9 minutes ago, mqr said:

Sox are wearing their normal jerseys for Spring?

Probably for the promotional photos they take when they get there.

Edit: https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/daniel-palka?editorialproducts=sport&events=775108290&family=editorial&phrase=daniel palka&sort=best#license

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

27 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Anderson is a better SS.  Anderson's only flaw is that he literally cannot take a walk....unfortunately it is huge flaw. 

His BB rate actually increased quite a bit last year, but all the gains he showed in the first half (6.4%) pretty much dissapeared in the second half (2.9%).  Part of the reason I question if Steverson is really the man for the job.

I really hope that we are not going down the "Manny at SS" road again. His value is significantly diminished by his playing SS. Moreover, instead of filling a hole, that would leave the hole at 3RD and force Anderson to learn a new position. The infield defense would be stellar, with Machado at 3RD, T. A. at SS and either Moncada or Madrigal at 2ND. Why mess with that?  If Machado is making that a condition, for signing, I would personally be ready to just move on. However, I really doubt that is the case. We all know that his earlier desire to play SS was likely for the purpose of increasing his value to suitors. If the case of the Sox, it decreases his value. Of course, there is also the possibility that he is using it as a ploy to raise the price, by suggesting that he will agree to play 3RD, if the Sox agree to increase the value of the contract.

Edited by Lillian

Just now, Lillian said:

I really hope that we are not going down the "Manny at SS" road again. His value is significantly diminished by his playing SS. Moreover, instead of filling a hole, that would leave the hole at 3RD and force Anderson to learn a new position. The infield defense would be stellar, with Machado at 3RD, T. A. at SS and either Moncada or Madrigal at 2ND. Why mess with that? 

I agree.  I'd take that defense 100% of the time.  I'm not sure how much 3B/SS is playing into his decision.  Perhaps it is one of the many reasons this thing is dragging on.  

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

I really hope that we are not going down the "Manny at SS" road again. His value is significantly diminished by his playing SS. Moreover, instead of filling a hole, that would leave the hole at 3RD and force Anderson to learn a new position. The infield defense would be stellar, with Machado at 3RD, T. A. at SS and either Moncada or Madrigal at 2ND. Why mess with that? 

I think people are just pointing out that if you are Tim Anderson, you should take the high road on this one and let the dust settle where it may be, he isn’t exactly in a position to call the shots. I do think that Manny plays 3rd for us and Timmy at SS especially if they land Pederson, otherwise he doesn’t exactly have a spot on the roster with Pederson in CF unless he learns how to play RF.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His BB rate actually increased quite a bit last year, but all the gains he showed in the first half (6.4%) pretty much dissapeared in the second half (2.9%).  Part of the reason I question if Steverson is really the man for the job.

To play devil's advocate, who do you think was responsible for the large increase in BB rate during the first half?

Just now, beckham15 said:

I think people are just pointing out that if you are Tim Anderson, you should take the high road on this one and let the dust settle where it may be, he isn’t exactly in a position to call the shots. I do think that Manny plays 3rd for us and Timmy at SS especially if they land Pederson, otherwise he doesn’t exactly have a spot on the roster with Pederson in CF unless he learns how to play RF.

He knew this question was coming.  I'm a little surprised he didn't have a "rehearsed" answer.   But, it was also pure BS when he said he wasn't following the Manny rumors.  It's either 1) going to make your team better or 2) take you out of your natural position and cause you to make major adjustments

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

To play devil's advocate, who do you think was responsible for the large increase in BB rate during the first half?

Obviously we don’t know, hell it could have been Steverson.  Just not sure why Tim completely suddenly changed his approach in the second half when it was working.  A good hitting coach should be able to convince his players to stick with a good thing.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres