Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

LOL remember when we were analyzing whether Manny posting an instagram photo of a neon sign saying "sky is the limit" was a sign that he was signing with us since sky's the limit is the name of the light installation in ohare (which is in chicago)? good times. 

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

Bruce has got to be fucking senile. Jesus Christ

No he's just angry at people saying he's wrong so he's just going to keep parroting himself and make shit up when something actually happens. 

Also bucket said earlier this offseason that there's a reason that it seems like Bruce has it out for the Sox. 

Edited by Sockin

2 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

How many times do we have to tell you this old man?!

None of this seems like it will resolve itself soon. Machado's camp will continue to wait, knowing the Sox offer is not going anywhere.

It remains unlikely, outside of the Yankees or Phillies, that another club jumps in with an offer high enough to nab Harper/Machado away. 

Sox are playing this the right way by not blinking, as I do doubt that Harper/Machado fail to sign by the start of the season. Either player would be foolish to accept a one year deal to retest the market, as a down season could end up costing them millions and years.

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

None of this seems like it will resolve itself soon. Machado's camp will continue to wait, knowing the Sox offer is not going anywhere.

It remains unlikely, outside of the Yankees or Phillies, that another club jumps in with an offer high enough to nab Harper/Machado away. 

Sox are playing this the right way by not blinking, as I do doubt that Harper/Machado fail to sign by the start of the season. Either player would be foolish to accept a one year deal to retest the market, as a down season could end up costing them millions and years.

This will go into mid February at the latest I believe. I’ve stopped checking twitter and here so much because we won’t get much info until the new few weeks. 

Strap in boys and girls

Is this a fair summary of what is probably happening regarding Manny Machado?

When the offseason began, it seems like everyone assumed that Machado would sign a contract that was around 10-year, $300 million. If anything, that was probably the starting point. As the offseason has progressed it seems as if the offers Machado is receiving are probably $100 million less than expected. He most likely has not signed because his agent is racing to find an offer close to what they intially expected.

The best offer at this exact moment is probably 7-year, $210 million. Machado’s camp would probably like to get to at least $250 million. 

Mystery teams have probably made offers, but Machado probably has a small list of teams he would play for, and knows that one of them will eventually bite and offer him a deal he is looking for.

3 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

When the offseason began, it seems like everyone assumed that Machado would sign a contract that was around 10-year, $300 million. If anything, that was probably the starting point. As the offseason has progressed it seems as if the offers Machado is receiving are probably $100 million less than expected. He most likely has not signed because his agent is racing to find an offer close to what they intially expected.

The best offer at this exact moment is probably 7-year, $210 million. Machado’s camp would probably like to get to at least $250 million. 

Mystery teams have probably made offers, but Machado probably has a small list of teams he would play for, and knows that one of them will eventually bite and offer him a deal he is looking for.

Honestly I think the only incorrect statement is probably "Machado has a small list of teams he would play for". I think he would go just about anywhere if they put the right money on the table. 

3 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Based on all the "info" out there...Sox probably have a verbal of 8/250 with them...and none of the mystery teams have topped that. Addition of more and more mystery teams will intensify until either Sox verbal becomes actual at 8/250 or Phillies flinch and offer more thinking Bryce is out of their grasp. hence the slow news cycles because not many teams can do 8/250 with tax issues or teams that are in crappy cities that Manny's wife will not enjoy. My take, anyways...

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly I think the only incorrect statement is probably "Machado has a small list of teams he would play for". I think he would go just about anywhere if they put the right money on the table. 

I think his postseason antics really rubbed some FO's the wrong way. I didn't think it was going to affect him much, but I think it has had a bigger impact on his free agency than we all thought.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think his postseason antics really rubbed some FO's the wrong way. I didn't think it was going to affect him much, but I think it has had a bigger impact on his free agency than we all thought.

I'd disagree and think it's the collapsed market...except those things may have specifically hit the Yankee management and the fact that their money isn't in this game is probably a big reason why this isn't done yet. 

9 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I will say your post makes sense. First of all, 7 years 210 million is an extremely fair offer. If I cared about the Sox payroll and I don't, I sure would not want them to give ANY PLAYER more than 7 years or more than 30 million in any one year. Even with baseball Monopoly money, I personally don't think Manny is worth 7 years, 210 mill. Will I be mad if they get him for that? No. I'm just saying "nice post." Makes sense.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I'd disagree and think it's the collapsed market...except those things may have specifically hit the Yankee management and the fact that their money isn't in this game is probably a big reason why this isn't done yet. 

Absolutely it's a collapsed market. I think his antics definitely caused the split in the Yankees FO, and could have scared the smaller market teams away. Smaller market teams can't afford to hand out a contract of that size for a player they may deem questionable only to have it bite them in the end. 

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Based on all the "info" out there...Sox probably have a verbal of 8/250 with them...and none of the mystery teams have topped that. Addition of more and more mystery teams will intensify until either Sox verbal becomes actual at 8/250 or Phillies flinch and offer more thinking Bryce is out of their grasp. hence the slow news cycles because not many teams can do 8/250 with tax issues or teams that are in crappy cities that Manny's wife will not enjoy. My take, anyways...

I think the Phillies know that the White Sox will do anything to sign Manny and that's why they haven't increased an offer to him. They've proven it by having him come to Chicago, trading and signing his close friends. This started last year when they tried to trade for him and the signing of Wellington Castillo. Other teams know this and I'm sure that's another reason why offers haven't poured in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I think Manny's post season are an easy scapegoat for an owner who just doesn't want to pony up what he's really worth. Manny Machado for 10 yrs 300 million and everything less than that is fair in my opinion.

I think this off-season might be redefining "fair" right in front of our eyes.

14 minutes ago, EL1 said:

I think the Phillies know that the White Sox will do anything to sign Manny and that's why they haven't increased an offer to him. They've proven it by having him come to Chicago, trading and signing his close friends. This started last year when they tried to trade for him and the signing of Wellington Castillo. Other teams know this and I'm sure that's another reason why offers haven't poured in. 

Exactly, and I think that's an under reported aspect of the Alonso and Jay acquisitions.  Those guys may make the White Sox more attractive to Machado, but it's also a strong signal to the rest of the league of the lengths the Sox are willing to go to in the Machado sweepstakes.  If the Phillies or anyone else figures that the Sox will top any offer they make from this point forward, then it's easy to see why no one has apparently topped the Sox bid over the last month.  I don't think any GM actually thinks that the Sox aren't ready and willing to raise whatever offer they have out to Machado.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres