Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

There has to be an end to this soon. The first Sox Spring Training game starts in 31 days and the first Sox regular season game starts in 64 days. It's been a long long saga. Personally, I can't wait for baseball to start again. I would rather watch a meaningless Spring Training game than be put through this torture

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glangon said:

There has to be an end to this soon. The first Sox Spring Training game starts in 31 days and the first Sox regular season game starts in 64 days. It's been a long long saga. Personally, I can't wait for baseball to start again. I would rather watch a meaningless Spring Training game than be put through this torture

Try to relax. If the Sox don't get Manny they might sign five above average players for the price of one. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, glangon said:

I don't think I'm saying anything interesting but you are right that this will drag on imo.

My thoughts since last week are that basically the market is set. The best offers are basically in for both machado and harper.

But with both phillies and white sox, there is no threat to them settling elsewhere. So for Lozano and Boras, they don't really have much to gain by signing now and may have something to gain by waiting and the teams getting impatient.

So it will go on for more time, Lozano will come back with the serious counter offer, the remaining 5% or so of the contract will be finalized and it will be over. I'm incredibly confident the white sox will get machado and phillies harper, unless machado really does something unexpected like signing a 1-2 year 80 million contract. (or 1 year 40 mill)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, peppers312 said:

bring Gio back already. please and thank you. 

I personally think they have 0 interest in Gonzalez due to his inability to throw strikes.  They make no want that around their youngsters who ALREADY can't throw strikes.  Someone with a better track record of strike throwing would seem like a better fit (Nova). Maybe they can help rub off on the younger guys, idk

Edited by cjgalloway

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Ken suggests that the Pads or Mets should go 8/250. Martino is saying that The White Sox are close to that. He isn’t saying Ken said that. He is confirming that those numbers are close to where Chicago is. Suggesting he has inside info on the Sox offer.

If the Sox are close to that I see them winning over Machado. The Sox have invested so much time and effort to bring in Machado to the White Sox and making him feel welcomed that a couple of million won't stop them from signing him. Sox fans should be feeling good about their chances of signing Machado. 

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

I personally think they have 0 interest in Gonzalez due to his inability to throw strikes.  They make no want that around their youngsters who ALREADY can't throw strikes.  Someone with a better track record of strike throwing would seem like a better fit (Nova). Maybe they can help rub off on the younger guys, idk

It really is Keuchel or bust for SP impact. Anderson may be worth it on a 1 year flier...but not sure what that accomplishes. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 11.01.54 AM.png

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Realistically, the players are going to run up against a wall sooner or later, as the teams start to pick off lesser options which they know they can sign.

Yeah you are already seeing that for non-manny/bryce players, I don't see that as the case for manny/bryce. 

I know it is easy to look at a list of remaining free agent starters and demand one, but wouldn't it be much wiser for the Sox to give this opportunity to players with control remaining?  Especially, if they aren't certain if they are getting Machado (and another OF)?  

If for some reason they find themselves in the hunt, pitchers that are comparable to the ones being mentioned are available for free.  You just have to pay the remainder of their 1 year contract.  You send back a young player no one has heard of that has a 500-1 chance of ever making the bigs (save face for the selling team) and you get the veteran starter in June or July.  Not to mention you will likely be able to choose a pitcher who is in good form. Right now it is kind of a crapshoot.

It is too bad there isn't a list of the Randall Delgado/Dylan Covey types that might be available.  If there was I think this would be a much more popular sentiment around here. 

One of the positives to a complete rebuild is the opportunity to give a second chance to players and hopefully hit on someone that will help your club in the future.  

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I can’t believe how long this has been going on for now. For awhile I thought maybe I was just getting impatient, but I always thought we were just days away. Now, I rarely check the board because I feel like we’re not even relatively close.

When do players report to Spring Training, mid-Feb? It can easily go on until then. Heck, even later since players complain that Spring Training is already too long.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

When do players report to Spring Training, mid-Feb? It can easily go on until then. Heck, even later since players complain that Spring Training is already too long.

For the Sox, pitchers and catchers report on February 12. Position players have until February 17.

53 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

Player Position Age
Dallas Keuchel SP 31
Gio Gonzalez SP 33
Wade Miley SP 32
Clay Buchholz SP 34

Jeremy Hellickson SP 31
Ervin Santana SP  

Machado rumors aside...we really should consider bringing in one of these guys to bridge the gap

Wade Miley on a one year deal feels like a no brainer to me. He'll probably stink, but if he can give you 150 innings half as good as his 80 last year, that would be a huge huge win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Wade Miley on a one year deal feels like a no brainer to me. He'll probably stink, but if he can give you 150 innings half as good as his 80 last year, that would be a huge huge win.

I just looked at his numbers. I'm down for that. You think he would be signed by now from a team like the Brewers or A's who were in the playoffs and need pitching help.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres