Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

(IMO) Harper is different. Boras turned down a significant offer last season. It would be very bad for him to take less than that. Also Boras has been doing the "wait" game forever.  He had JD Drew sit out an entire season. 

I may be going crazy, but I'm 99% sure that didn't happen.

9 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Is the market depressed, meaning these guys will be getting less on an per year basis? Perhaps (or probably) that is true. I think it seems somewhat certain that they won't be getting a 10 year deal, etc., but perhaps $30M over a shorter year.

I think right now they are being offered both less AAV and less total than what people expected going into free agency. 

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I may be going crazy, but I'm 99% sure that didn't happen.

Instead of signing with Phillies, JD Drew sat out a year (played for an independent team) and then was drafted by Cardinals the next year. Phillies offered $2.6mil, Boras allegedly wanted $10mil. Cardinals gave Drew $7mil.  

Edited by Soxbadger

6 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

He was drafted and never signed and entered the draft again.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I think right now they are being offered both less AAV and less total than what people expected going into free agency. 

Instead of signing with Phillies, JD Drew sat out a year (played for an independent team) and then was drafted by Cardinals the next year. Phillies offered $2.6mil, Boras allegedly wanted $10mil. Cardinals gave Drew $7mil.  

Ok... I was thinking it meant he sat out a year before he signed his free agent contract with Boston or something...

Does anyone think Manny or Bryce is losing money each day they wait?

My answer is no. That calculation changes as ST comes into play.

As long as that's the case, I'm not shocked the game of chicken continues.

That said, there will be a personal part of this where at some point they may want to get certainty on housing. But either city will not be their permanent residence, and with the money they have they'll have plenty of nice, furnished options to choose from even in a pinch.

If this goes on another 2-3 weeks I'm not shocked.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Does anyone think Manny or Bryce is losing money each day they wait?

My answer is no. That calculation changes as ST comes into play.

As long as that's the case, I'm not shocked the game of chicken continues.

That said, there will be a personal part of this where at some point they may want to get certainty on housing. But either city will not be their permanent residence, and with the money they have they'll have plenty of nice, furnished options to choose from even in a pinch.

If this goes on another 2-3 weeks I'm not shocked.

Probably not, but I doubt they are making any. Patrick Corbin did his fast and once you say it's time for the final bids, you get the final bids. He scored big. 

It's not like any team is going to notice they have an extra $100 million laying around.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably not, but I doubt they are making any. Patrick Corbin did his fast and once you say it's time for the final bids, you get the final bids. He scored big. 

Lozano is trying to exploit an owner somewhere. I agree though, final offers on the table and that's that.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It's not like any team is going to notice they have an extra $100 million laying around.

I agree with that, but I'm sure they figure someone could want to jump the line and maybe make the bidding war that hasn't happened. But, I agree, at this point I think Manny's number is what it will be in a few weeks, but they are going to let it play out.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

What year? Looking at his stats, he played every year from 98-2011. He didn't sit out for a season in the middle of his playing career.

He was drafted and did not sign - choosing instead to play independent ball and reenter the draft the following season. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

What year? Looking at his stats, he played every year 98-2011. He didn't sit out for a season in the middle of his playing career.

He was drafted by the Phillies in 1996. He refused to sign. He then was drafted by the Cardinals in 1997. 

I dont recall ever mentioning that JD Drew sat out in the middle of his career. So not sure where you would get that...

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What are they bidding, and if Lozano had picked up the pace, are you saying there is no way they would have bid?

What they're in with, it seems like it's at least respectable enough for them to get into the conversation, and they certainly were not there in late December when he did his tour, so if he had signed then - the Padres would not have joined in.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

What they're in with, it seems like it's at least respectable enough for them to get into the conversation, and they certainly were not there in late December when he did his tour, so if he had signed then - the Padres would not have joined in.

I still don’t think the Padres have joined in now. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

He was drafted by the Phillies in 1996. He refused to sign. He then was drafted by the Cardinals in 1997. 

I dont recall ever mentioning that JD Drew sat out in the middle of his career. So not sure where you would get that...

Gee I don't know. Referring to Harper and JD Drew like they are the exact same situation would definitely make that idea come into minds.

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

IIRC, the same Drew, later in his career, sat out half a season before succumbing and signing with someone.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you're arguing that in December a team had no interest in a player but since it's not the middle of January, said team now has about 250 million dollars of interest in a player? I dont see it. 

Logically that just doesnt make sense.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think because you mentioned him in the context of Manny and Boras who fit that criteria. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

is it just me or does it seem like the reds and padres are being used to just up the prices for players for the dodgers and white sox?

I think it could be a matter of perspective - I'd imagine New York fans are probably saying the Sox are just being used to up the price for the Yankees. They think they're bigger and better than us so they think we can't be serious. We think we're bigger and better than the Reds and Padres and so we think THEY can't be serious. 

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres