Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Ok, I’m just going to say it...we’re getting Machado in the next 10 days.  The board has finally reached its breaking point and turned on its own.  That tells me the baseball gods have finally seen enough suffering and will grant us the whale we much deserve.

Also, no one should be giving Shack a hard time.  He’s a high-integrity guy with strong connections and zero desire to pretend to be an insider for attention.  If he provides a hint about something, just appreciate that he’s willing to share what he can.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Your response shows you are just trying to bait a fight.  I did nothing wrong.  You made a racist remark and called me a troll.  

What a completely asinine response. 

40 minutes ago, SoCalSox said:

LOL. 

You know how I can tell you’ve been got? You drew a “racist” remark out of something where I didn’t make one. You’re reaching & reaching hard. 

Thats weak but expected. Trolls love dishing it out but can’t handle it when it gets slammed back in their face. 

Stop trashing board members & calling people hacks & you won’t have problems. 

And a perfect reply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

It’s amazing how the white Sox aren’t even mentioned much as competition.

The arrogance of the Phillies’ writers and fans is quite something.

Of course, were it between the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs or Red Sox and Philly, it would be a quite different story.   And the bogeyman that is NY’s superiority complex is in their heads to the point where the White Sox don’t even exist as a threat.

If they do end up losing Machado and Harper, underestimating the Sox or that their stupid money trumps all will be two of the biggest reasons that franchise will be consigned to .500ish ball purgatory.

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

Would Boras really pre-emptively sign for a lower number (with Philly) than the previously targeted $350-400 million over ten years and allow Lozano/Machado to beat it days later?

The only reason that makes sense is if he pretty much KNOWS the White Sox/Padres/Cardinals/Yankees/Angels aren’t planning to come anywhere close to breaking $300 million on Machado no matter how long or patiently he waits it out.

5 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Im really just tired of the whole "bidding against themselves" argument. This isnt an auction. Highest bid after a set amount of time doesnt win. This is a contract negotiation. It should scare every Sox fan that almost a month ago it was "Manny is going to make his decision in early January." At that time there were 3 *likely* destinations, Sox, Yankees and Phillies.

Yankees seemingly arent that interested. So that left 2 teams, Phillies and Sox. By some stroke of luck, Phillies havent really seemed to be the top destination for Machado (whether its he doesnt like them or they want Harper), but there just hasnt been a lot of smoke for them. That basically left the Sox as the "default" option for Machado.

Almost a month has now passed and the Sox still havent closed the deal. Many people on this board hoped Sox would sign *both* Harper and Machado, now there is a question of whether the Sox are even going to offer 1 contract worth $300mil. 

Sorry to be a negative nancy without any sauces, but these chain of events should absolutely scare any Sox fan. People can say they arent afraid of the Padres, but they absolutely should be. You should be afraid of any team willing to get into the mix now. Just because a month ago they thought Machado was out of reach, doesnt mean that their ownership could have been persuaded to reconsider. There were rumors of them adding Moustakas. For all we know their GM convinced the owner that it was worth the extra money to go for Machado.

The Sox need to make a splash, they need to put the money that they made with their low payroll to use. Free Agents like Machado are rare, the Sox chance at another player like this in Free Agency could be much worse in the future. Without the final numbers its hard to say, but I really doubt that the Sox are offering such an *overpay* that they should walk away. 

I believe in the beautiful sound of the Nightengale

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Well hopefully we can both celebrate this monumental occasion by handing a 26 year old a quarter billion dollars to play for our favorite baseball team!!

Lol, no doubt! The way things have been going I just hope Manny signs before my son's 35th birthday.

• Haha 1

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....Manny please sign before I die of old age....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOooooooooooooOoooooooooooooooooooo....

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Would Boras really pre-emptively sign for a lower number (with Philly) than the previously targeted $350-400 million over ten years and allow Lozano/Machado to beat it days later?

The only reason that makes sense is if he pretty much KNOWS the White Sox/Padres/Cardinals/Yankees/Angels aren’t planning to come anywhere close to breaking $300 million on Machado no matter how long or patiently he waits it out.

Exactly what I was thinking.  He knows he’s got “stupid money” on the brink, but knows Manny will not come close.  Only thing is, I think it will drive up Machado’s price if Harper signs first.  

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Nope. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The article update itself basically says it will most likely just be the first gameplay trailer

Right but the lead up to it was talking about where he’ll sign and what colors he’ll be wearing. It’s totally a rumor like the rest of it, but maybe one to watch to see what they mean.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think it would be:

30-33: early 30s

34-36: mid

37-39: late

Jesus of Nazareth says dying at 33 makes it the cutoff for accomplishing something in life, end of early 30’s.

Now back to Boras, the opposite...has he ever signed his client to a deal FIRST when there was another important player waiting on the market who could potentially end up with more (Moustakas ending up with crap last year doesn’t count, too minor)???

4 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Right but the lead up to it was talking about where he’ll sign and what colors he’ll be wearing. It’s totally a rumor like the rest of it, but maybe one to watch to see what they mean.

Probably be like Halladay and Mussina going into HoF with generic uniforms and no logo on the hat.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres