Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Those who dismiss some sources are as bad as those who dismiss all sources or those who believe all sources.

As someone who has a lot of inside knowledge of the Bulls, I can tell you sources will give you highly volatile info, false info or true info that's literally breaking at the seams.

Long story short, believe what you want, who you want. Don't piss and moan at others for their opinions on sources.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

It's a shame about Halladay because he has said in the past he wants to go in as a Jay.

12 years vs. 4 in Philly.  And we thought Fisk robbed us.   Guess the wife/family had second thoughts about wanting to show respect to both fanbases.

That also is going to lead to an interesting conversation about Sale’s HoF hat if he leaves Boston and keeps this up at least 4-5 more years.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is totally a fair way to look at it, but in my mind the day you’re closer to 40 than 30 you’re officially in your late 30’s.

Essentially, the only question left is whether 37 is mid or late 30’s.

I guess it is fair to claim 4 early 30’s years and only 3 fleeting late 30’s, lol.

Then when you’re 40-45, and if you keep yourself in good shape (or are Liz Hurley), you can still credibly claim late 30’s.

There are lots of young and old 37’s, basically.

48 minutes ago, Mooseman said:

The only question i'll ask is has the name been mentioned this offseason in rumors or is it a new name?

Huh? No I mean I know the name of the person who told my source to expect some surprises at SoxFest. My source was never told who or what the suprises we're. I literally have no idea if it was about Manny or Joc or anyone else.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is some Yahoo comments section type take here. I promise you that 98% of Soxtalk posters are smart enough to separate these two things.  If you honestly believe that people here aren't I am not sure why you are lowering your genius self to our relative dense levels here at Soxtalk. I am sure there are other options for someone of your superiority. 

Dude I've literally come across sentences here that have alluded to not trusting Dave because he's a part of barstool and they dont like barstool. So you're wrong (per usual)

6 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Give Manny a 2y $65mil contract. If all goes well maybe he signs a monster extension. If he stinks we’re not on the hook. 

That might make sense if we still had Kopech or a plan to sign Keuchel as well.

He’s going to want a huge guaranteed deal (goes Heyward or gets injured) that has optouts after Year 3 or 4 to sign with a rebuilding team like the White Sox or Padres.

He only does that deal if he’s totally DESPERATE to go to the NYY.  

If Josh Donaldson is $20 for one year, Machado would be $40-50 million times two...to be on one .500ish team and the MAYBE one competitive team.

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Im really just tired of the whole "bidding against themselves" argument. This isnt an auction. Highest bid after a set amount of time doesnt win. This is a contract negotiation. It should scare every Sox fan that almost a month ago it was "Manny is going to make his decision in early January." At that time there were 3 *likely* destinations, Sox, Yankees and Phillies.

Yankees seemingly arent that interested. So that left 2 teams, Phillies and Sox. By some stroke of luck, Phillies havent really seemed to be the top destination for Machado (whether its he doesnt like them or they want Harper), but there just hasnt been a lot of smoke for them. That basically left the Sox as the "default" option for Machado.

Almost a month has now passed and the Sox still havent closed the deal. Many people on this board hoped Sox would sign *both* Harper and Machado, now there is a question of whether the Sox are even going to offer 1 contract worth $300mil. 

Sorry to be a negative nancy without any sauces, but these chain of events should absolutely scare any Sox fan. People can say they arent afraid of the Padres, but they absolutely should be. You should be afraid of any team willing to get into the mix now. Just because a month ago they thought Machado was out of reach, doesnt mean that their ownership could have been persuaded to reconsider. There were rumors of them adding Moustakas. For all we know their GM convinced the owner that it was worth the extra money to go for Machado.

The Sox need to make a splash, they need to put the money that they made with their low payroll to use. Free Agents like Machado are rare, the Sox chance at another player like this in Free Agency could be much worse in the future. Without the final numbers its hard to say, but I really doubt that the Sox are offering such an *overpay* that they should walk away. 

I really enjoyed reading your last paragraph! "Free agents like Machado ARE rare"!! This has probably been said or thought a thousand times in this topic alone, but I also truly believe this is a signing where the White Sox must be successful. Some will say the front office is playing it smart and they are also aware how important it is to get Machado signed and maybe they are, but I NEED to see Machado signed and the sooner the better. Come on White Sox and get it done!

Just now, iamshack said:

To get him to sign a 2-year deal you’d probably be closer to double that. 

Without having to go into any detail or reasoning to support your stance, what percent chance do you think the Sox have of signing Manny at this point in time?

I said 80% earlier in this thread. 

13 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Huh? No I mean I know the name of the person who told my source to expect some surprises at SoxFest. My source was never told who or what the suprises we're. I literally have no idea if it was about Manny or Joc or anyone else.

Now here's my real tricky question.

The next time you say you heard something from a source, will you also add the caveat "This source was wrong about the last thing they told me". 

10 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Why? He’d maximize his AAV, and get another crack at UFA if salaries balloon higher. It’s a calculated risk. Probably riskier for the Sox. 

Probably a good 200 million plus reasons why he won’t.  Granted it’s not the 300 million reasons he expected but it’s still a lot of reasons.

Edited by heirdog

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Without having to go into any detail or reasoning to support your stance, what percent chance do you think the Sox have of signing Manny at this point in time?

I said 80% earlier in this thread. 

I don’t think there is any sense in putting a number on it, but it is my belief that the comments Hahn made at Soxfest over the weekend do not really represent just how determined they are to land him. Harper being out there does complicate that a bit, but I think (and all their moves make this very clear) they are absolutely committed to landing him unless the price starts to converge with the bottom range of how they value Harper. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Now here's my real tricky question.

The next time you say you heard something from a source, will you also add the caveat "This source was wrong about the last thing they told me". 

I would like to amend my last response with the caveat that the last particular information I heard from several people does not seem to be accurate as of now. 

• Like 2

Just now, caulfield12 said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/manny-machado-rumors-the-cases-for-and-against-the-five-best-landing-spots-for-machado/13v9s4wkwr6w51dq572expkjib

At least White Sox made it to top five...this was before the Padres jumped into the picture.  

Mets again?  The Angels seem more realistic, or Giants if they could trade Longoria.  Definitely StL before the Cubs.

Why on Earth was that in reply to Me? Are you telling me that from now on you'll add in the caveat that your previous post was wrong?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres