Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You make yourself sound very unintelligent and uninformed. 

This is precisely what I'm talking about.

I couldn't believe I was being called more names and look at that, it is by another friend of raBBit.  

You guys win.  I'm done.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

Fans (not just white sox fans) are tired of people on the internet posing as insiders and taking stabs at breaking sports news.  There are tons of people doing this for attention and hoping to start or advance a career.  It is mildly infuriating to the general sports internet public. 

So, if you are an actual insider, and you want to pose as one on the internet, you have to expect people to get cranky when you have attempted to break news and it doesn't come to fruition.  Obviously, nothing is guaranteed and an honest good person could get things wrong from time to time, but you have to know that negative reactions will come with the territory.  

Regular messageboard fans and general little people:  DO NOT let these insiders and their friends turn THEM MISSING ON NEWS into "non insider dudes on a message board are upset that we aren't sharing the secret news we have".  That is not what happened here.  A bunch of guys here eluded to varying degrees of something big going down soon and it didn't come true, and now they have managed to swing the tide from them being wrong into WE are the idiots for maybe even kinda slightly accusing them of being wrong.  

Somehow it is acceptable to tear Nightengale and Bruuuuce to shreds, calling them every name in the book, but we can't even question "our" guys?  

I apologize for any intentional or unintentional joking i've done with people's internet handles.  Peace.  

The line has always been at personally attacking another poster.  It is one thing to attack information, which has never been wrong.  But when it crosses into personally attacking that person, that is when there is an issue.

44 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I think it's good and bad. More bad. 

The good: If it happens, I think it's something Lozano didn't expect, which would give him a greater urgency to complete a deal with the Sox or whoever. That said...

If it happens, it's largely under Boras' terms. Boras isn't desperate yet, so it would be a contract much greater than the Nats 10/300 before the offseason to get Harper to sign now. "Stupid money" remarks notwithstanding, I honestly have a hard time believing the Phillies just decided to say fuck it and meet Boras price. If they did, it sets the market and gives Lozano more leverage for at least 300 million in a contract. Lozano may have more urgency to sign, but he will also have more bargaining power given the going rate of elite baseball players in this free agency period. 

Additionally, if the Phillies really have decided to tap into the nefarious power of 'stupid money', what stops them from pivoting towards Machado once Harper is locked up? If Harper got something like 10/350, and the Phillies are willing to go 10/300-325 for Harper, are the Sox still gonna be in this thing? 

Fortunately, this isn’t how economics works. Granted, It IS how MLB salary arbitration works. But not free agency. 

It may make Lozano feel more justified at asking for a higher price, but at the end of the day, price is where supply meets demand. If anything, Harper’s deal may cause everyone who was in on both to pivot and get serious about pushing to the end game, but the price of the deal won’t affect the price teams are willing to pay. 

I guess it could increase the likelihood of a pillow deal. 

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

I couldn't believe I was being called more names and look at that, it is by another friend of raBBit.  

You guys win.  I'm done.  

I was done last night FWIW. You are apparently continuing your crusade though. 

16 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I'm telling you they rolled back into this thread and somehow changed the tide from "they got something wrong... again" to "we are insiders, sometimes we can't share stuff, sometimes we can, you are trolls if you question us".  

Id just drop it. Anyone who wants to feed at the trough of *insider* news is going to keep coming at you. I find the *inside* information has gotten ridiculous and run its course. 

It doesnt help facilitate discussion, it doesnt create good threads, it creates people begging for a little insight of something that may or may not happen. 

One thing is pretty clear. once Lozano posted his rant something changed, as there have been almost no leaks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

Additionally, if the Phillies really have decided to tap into the nefarious power of 'stupid money', what stops them from pivoting towards Machado once Harper is locked up? If Harper got something like 10/350, and the Phillies are willing to go 10/300-325 for Harper, are the Sox still gonna be in this thing? 

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Just because a team is willing to spend 300m+ on one player doesn't mean they are willing to do it twice, and in the same offseason at that. 10 years 300m+ is in itself "stupid money". If they sign Harper for money like that they are not going to be going after Machado for a similar amount.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The line has always been at personally attacking another poster.  It is one thing to attack information, which has never been wrong.  But when it crosses into personally attacking that person, that is when there is an issue.

Hope we have not reached the "turning on one another" point in the offseason. Sox fans need to stick with one another through this painful rebuild and will be better for it. 

Insider or not, no deal is done until officially announced. We all sit an continue to wait. If the Harper domino falls, I would expect the market to heat up pretty quickly following. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Hope we have not reached the "turning on one another" point in the offseason. Sox fans need to stick with one another through this painful rebuild and will be better for it. 

Insider or not, no deal is done until officially announced. We all sit an continue to wait. If the Harper domino falls, I would expect the market to heat up pretty quickly following. 

Harper is not signing today. That Vegas thing was 100% nonsense.

Harper will not sign before Machado.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

You guys win.  I'm done.  

SMH, just stop the "poor me" victim BS. 

I've witnessed you talking negatively about Rabbit 3 times in the last week. Now you're whining about being called names (unintelligent or uninformed) literally the day after you referred to Shack as Hack. You also accused Aaron of making racist remarks when he did no such thing. Just give it a rest already. You don't have a leg to stand on here. If you have a problem with James, Aaron, Brian, Shack, Dave, etc DON'T READ WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY. MUTE THEM. BLOCK THEM. IGNORE THEM. Do whatever. Just stop the I'm a victim crap. You aren't.

And before you go and tell me to mute or block you, I won't. I don't believe in blocking or muting people. Thought I'd save you some time....

Time to move on.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Just because a team is willing to spend 300m+ on one player doesn't mean they are willing to do it twice, and in the same offseason at that. 10 years 300m+ is in itself "stupid money". If they sign Harper for money like that they are not going to be going after Machado for a similar amount.

Generally, I agree with you. I believe earlier in the offseason there were some rumors that the Phillies would try to get both. If they were willing to lock up Harper at nearly Boras' price, it shows a willingness to spend stupid money. I don't believe Philly would sign both, but it is within the realm of possibility that they get into the Machado sweepstakes and push the price past a comfort point for the Sox. 

39 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Fortunately, this isn’t how economics works. Granted, It IS how MLB salary arbitration works. But not free agency. 

It may make Lozano feel more justified at asking for a higher price, but at the end of the day, price is where supply meets demand. If anything, Harper’s deal may cause everyone who was in on both to pivot and get serious about pushing to the end game, but the price of the deal won’t affect the price teams are willing to pay. 

I guess it could increase the likelihood of a pillow deal. 

Certainly he will be justified in a higher ask. If the Phillies don't get involved and other teams are not serious, that just means he could drag this thing out even longer than before. Instead of having a buy it now price of 280 over some years, it may increase to 300+. Without competition, Lozano will eventually have to settle. It would just be harder for him to do so. 

17 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Once Manny signs hopefully with us do the Sox still go after a 5th SP like Gio or is it going to be between Covey and Banuelos for the #5 spot?

Just now, Saufley said:

Once Manny signs hopefully with us do the Sox still go after a 5th SP like Gio or is it going to be between Covey and Banuelos for the #5 spot?

I think Manny signing will make Hahn really aggressive with his moves to follow. If he doesn’t sign he isn’t going to do much more than trade Alonzo. 😂 

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Harper is not signing today. That Vegas thing was 100% nonsense.

Harper will not sign before Machado.

If there really is a $100 million gap between what offers Harper has and what Machado has, things could get interesting.  What is to stop Philly from putting a $300 million offer out there for Machado, saving them $50 million over the Harper offer, and upping what seems to be the best offer for Manny by $50 million.  We haven't heard a thing about another offer being out there for Harper.  It could well collapse his market if one team is WAY ahead of the others.  I think we all assumed that their offers were going to be relatively close, but if there aren't, there is a risk to Bryce.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If there really is a $100 million gap between what offers Harper has and what Machado has, things could get interesting.  What is to stop Philly from putting a $300 million offer out there for Machado, saving them $50 million over the Harper offer, and upping what seems to be the best offer for Manny by $50 million.  We haven't heard a thing about another offer being out there for Harper.  It could well collapse his market if one team is WAY ahead of the others.  I think we all assumed that their offers were going to be relatively close, but if there aren't, there is a risk to Bryce.

I actually never thought they would be that close in total dollars and wouldn't be surprised if Bryce got 350 where Manny only got 250

• Like 1

Just now, cjgalloway said:

The better player has always been Machado (apart from one year).  Harper just gives you more marketability (which is also valuable)

Harpers ceiling was top 5 offensive season ever. That means a lot to teams - it's not the marketability, it's the ceiling of Harper. 

Harpers best was legendarily good. Despite his inconsistencies, teams are infatuated with that level of production.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Harpers ceiling was top 5 offensive season ever. That means a lot to teams - it's not the marketability, it's the ceiling of Harper. 

Harpers best was legendarily good. Despite his inconsistencies, teams are infatuated with that level of production.

All 100% true but marketability is definitely a factor here as well. What he'd do for a team like the White Sox where marketing is concerned is likely something the Sox have never seen before in their franchise. That includes Frank Thomas. He adds so much value where that is concerned. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres