yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The thing that the White Sox are going to do with that sort of maneuver is likely to try to lock the guy in on signing. If Machado's agent comes to the White Sox and says he has an offer $3 million per year higher than the White Sox, the White Sox's solution is not to just say they'll match it, it's instead to say "are you prepared to sign with the Chicago White Sox today if we have the best offer on the table, and what restrictions (swelloptwhatever) do you need on the contract to make an agreement happen". If Lozano's side is putting offers on the table that are close to what the White Sox have offered and they say they're willing to sign, then you go ahead and accept it. You don't just keep upping your offer until they reach a point where they will sign if you do up your offer.

And if they counter, we’ll get back to you in 48-72 hours...Manny and his wife need to mull it over, etc.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But it does allow the impasse to continue over which year the opt out kicks in if they’re (the Machado camp) not really convinced the White Sox are the best situation long-term.

It’s also not wrong for him to be at least a little hesitant about being locked in for 4 years with only one of those likely including his buddies and BIL.  Especially going into the offseason expecting at least $275 million...you want an inspired/motivated version of Machado, which is why there must be some follow up moves to at least make contention in 2019 a glimmer of a possibility if you squint hard enough.

Otherwise, you run the risk of his becoming a not so positive role model to the likes of Jimenez and Moncada if they end up around 60-65 wins again.

You’re making assumptions about the White Sox contract offer and about Machado’s non-financial preferences that we simply do not know. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And if they counter, we’ll get back to you in 48-72 hours...Manny and his wife need to mull it over, etc.

Then they're not ready to sign, and you continue negotiating and giving them whatever time they want. You don't put your best offer on the table until they're ready to sign. 

If we get Manny this will no longer be true, but as of right now, I am having some severe envy of the Reds and their off season.

Edited by Orlando

Just now, Orlando said:

If we get Manny this will no longer be true, but as of right now, I am having some severe envy of the Reds and their off season.

They'll finish in 4th place in their division.  I wouldn't be too jealous.  

• Like 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

The 2015 and 2016 white sox to the letter. Won the offseason by a big enough margin to get into 4th place. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

envy over what? A temporary fix that's only going to last one year. Most of that team become FA next off-season. 

31 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Makes sense completely. The misinformation has been brutal from the National guys to especially the local beat guys. 

We are nearing the end of this process and I would imagine the Machado/Harper saga will draw to a close in the coming few weeks. Neither player is taking a one year deal or is likely to drag negotiations into the season. Sox are in a good spot, just need to continue to be patient. 

One can only hope.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

But imagine a world where they manage to come in 3rd ahead of the Cubs. That would be fun.

I appreciate that they're at least not tanking. The one year stop gaps would only be ok if they didn't deal away a couple of nice spects as well. The only deal I like so far for them is the Gray deal.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I appreciate that they're at least not tanking. The one year stop gaps would only be ok if they didn't deal away a couple of nice spects as well. The only deal I like so far for them is the Gray deal.

Sonny Gray gives me Jeff smardajza vibes

We keep talking about stop gaps and I  get it but seriously, our rotation depth is depleted. Getting Gray and Wood over Banuelos and Nova would have been nice. Getting Puig over Jay would have been exciting and he wouldn't of blocked anyone of significance. I am not envious of their moves because it would have made us contenders. Its not like the money we save over this off season will roll over to next. They would have come off the books and we would have moved on but it would have been a better 2019 season (barring Harpchado of course).

Edited by Orlando

Just now, IowaPG said:

We paid more for Samardjiza. Reds have more depth than sox had in 2015-16, though their rotation can't handle much in terms of injuries. But their farm is much deeper than ours to get depth pieces in season.

3 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

Jeff Samardjza was better than Sonny Gray at the time of their acquisitions.

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

At best.

• Thanks 1

Best part about this thread is people basically role playing a salary negotiation...here is my advice stick to your day job.  Hahn knows what he is doing.  Manny and Harper like 95% or more of big time free agents will eventually sign where they make the most money.  It has little to do with winning.

One thing I don't get is the reluctance to sign a 10 year deal.  Unless they completely bomb the AAV value today will more likely be a deal compared to the "going rate" 5 years from now.  

• Like 1

At what point does panic set it in for all the other Free Agents looking for work who have basically been held hostage awaiting a Machado/Harper move? 

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

At what point does panic set it in for all the other Free Agents looking for work who have basically been held hostage awaiting a Machado/Harper move? 

Agreed. At some point those guys need to get jobs. If Harper/Machado remained unsigned a week or 2 into Spring Training I expect to see a lot of these guys start signing.

Thank God the Sox aren't either of these two players away from legitimately competing for anything come this season.    I can't  imagine the angst if that were the case.    We'd be heading towards the 1K page mark on this thread.  

At what point does Hahn have to put a deadline for Manny to take or leave? He has a "Manny plan" that involves pursuing other trades and FA signings that are contingent on Manny signing. He wont be able to act on this plan and many of those deals may pass him by the longer Manny waits.