Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

https://nyp.st/2RZTtJm

Phillies GM is saying they only get one just as Hahn said. They clearly don't want to pony up over Sox offer on Machado if they think they land Harper. While the timing may still be down the road...the narrative really is similar to JD last year where the deals are not outrageous and it gets done in February.

Amen. Sure hope so.

I feel like we have all been strung along by this process and manipulated. Maybe the teams should say we will make an offer Feb 1 and withdraw it by Feb 15. I don't take sides in the players v owners struggle but am starting to dislike the agents. 

15 minutes ago, pcq said:

I feel like we have all been strung along by this process and manipulated. Maybe the teams should say we will make an offer Feb 1 and withdraw it by Feb 15. I don't take sides in the players v owners struggle but am starting to dislike the agents. 

But isn’t it the job of agents to maximize their clients’ deals (and their commissions)?

We can just as easily blame advanced analytics and previous huge contracts like Pujols...but both these guys are 26, not the wrong side of 30.

The only way things will change for agents is if more Tier B players get stuck like Moustakas, Lynn and a number of others at the end of the game of musical chairs with no suitors...but that simply means that more money will be going to the really difference-making players AND increases for those in Years 1-6/7 (the middle gets squeezed harder, except relievers.)

If revenues continue increasing while players continue to get the same or even smaller share of the pie, there will be another devastating strike in three years.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres