Jump to content
yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

There OF isn't too crowded. If they didn't deal Verdugo or Pederson, it would be: Pederson/Hernandez platoon in LF, Pollock CF, Verdugo RF. Toles isn't much of an MLB player, Taylor is likely the starting 2B, and I think most would expect Muncy to regress really hard next year so he's likely mostly a bench bat as well (meaning Bellinger is at 1B). They could deal one of Joc and Verdugo and I guess it would get Muncy in the lineup somewhere every day, but like I said, it depends on what they expect from him. And knowing Pollock's injury history, keeping everyone could be an option.

The counterpoint is they've dealt with "overload" like this every year and made it work. What you are pointing out isn't terribly different than last year, and Verdugo having options to go back and forth makes it easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Both of us love the Norse mythology but she is really into the marvel universe. I have her to thank for getting me into the marvel movies because I had not seen any until she took me to see Thor.

You got yourself a keeper there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bmags said:

The counterpoint is they've dealt with "overload" like this every year and made it work. What you are pointing out isn't terribly different than last year, and Verdugo having options to go back and forth makes it easier.

I wasn't making a point of them having too much depth. We're on  the same page. Plus Muncy and Taylor both play IF and OF. With the current way the team is constructed, they could even platoon Muncy and Taylor at 2B or just have Muncy off of the bench.

I do expect one of Verdugo and Joc moved, but it isn't like it needs to happen. Dealing Kemp and Puig unclogged the overcrowded OF.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Capital G said:

 

or not landing him..... bc then they would still have verdugo and a crowded OF.

 

IMO the best chance we have at landing Joc is if the Reds beat out the Dodgers and land Realmuto. I cant see the Dodgers getting him and not giving up Verdugo which would then make Joc useful to them.

I could see Dodgers winning with a package of Ruiz easily, especially if the "aggressive" reds package is mostly around India.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I wasn't making a point of them having too much depth. We're on  the same page. Plus Muncy and Taylor both play IF and OF. With the current way the team is constructed, they could even platoon Muncy and Taylor at 2B or just have Muncy off of the bench.

Sorry gotcha. I get caught up in re-enforcing that the best teams in the league have redundancies that they aren't scared of. There is consistent discussion here about trading a guy because someone else is there, when these teams would just keep both.

It may not guarantee a World Series as we've seen, but it pushes odds in your favor for competing for division by not seeing big dropoffs from injuries and slumps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This literally feels like it will never end. At the beginning of the winter meetings I was checking this site non-stop. Now, I just assume there will be no news, and when I do check-in, I am correct.

I really think that Lozano, and Boras for that matter, are shocked that teams are not outbidding each other for their services. I would guess the offers are at least $100 million less than expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what happens if hypothetically the Sox sign Machado for, say, 175 million and it later comes out that the owners were in fact colluding to suppress salaries? Nothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mqr said:

So what happens if hypothetically the Sox sign Machado for, say, 175 million and it later comes out that the owners were in fact colluding to suppress salaries? Nothing?

In the 1980s, a fine was forced by owners that was paid out directly to the Players Association. They also allowed the players affected to look for better contracts as free agents while not terminating their current ones.

If JR is caught in a collusion case again, I would hope the mlb would force him out but that's hilarious and would never happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember it was early December when the first rumors came out...I was supposed to be studying for my finals but I was glued to this forum/Twitter because I really thought something was going to happen then. We're now 2 months past that and nothing has changed. 🤦🏻‍♂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bmags said:

In the 1980s, a fine was forced by owners that was paid out directly to the Players Association. They also allowed the players affected to look for better contracts as free agents while not terminating their current ones.

If JR is caught in a collusion case again, I would hope the mlb would force him out but that's hilarious and would never happen.

There isn't a possibility of owners being ousted as the owners doing the colluding would need to include the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs as they are the obvious ones who would be able to afford this type of contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ptatc said:

There isn't a possibility of owners being ousted as the owners doing the colluding would need to include the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs as they are the obvious ones who would be able to afford this type of contract.

Those are the fishiest ones for sure. I would not be at all surprised if there is some sort of handshake agreement to get and stay under luxury tax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ptatc said:

There isn't a possibility of owners being ousted as the owners doing the colluding would need to include the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs as they are the obvious ones who would be able to afford this type of contract.

Sure but none of those owners were involved in the collusion cases of the 80s as JR was. I mean, one of the main collusion cases was the white sox getting carlton fisk after Reinsdorf told Steinbrenner to back off. Sox getting Machado on collusion on a deal cheaper than expected after the phillies pledged stupid money? I won't blame players for thinking something was up again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once thought that the collusion talk would never have happened if not for the stupid contract the Marlins gave Stanton.  Two other gigantic contracts to Pujois and Cabrera could be more easily rationalized.  MLPBA believes that these contracts should automatically be exceeded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I once thought that the collusion talk would never have happened if not for the stupid contract the Marlins gave Stanton.  Two other gigantic contracts to Pujois and Cabrera could be more easily rationalized.  MLPBA believes that these contracts should automatically be exceeded.

So the problem is the contract for the player who is still really good and not the 2 terrible contracts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

Padres meeting with Harper has to be great news for sox. Maybe manny already has his choice narrowed

or it could embolden the phillies pursuit of harper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

or it could embolden the phillies pursuit of harper.

I mean if the Padres sign him that's not a good thing in pretty much every aspect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

 

still in on harper? hmmmmmmmm

 

I wouldn't read too much into this. While I still think sox are in on harper, he's saying that the sox were known to have met with them. That's not new info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, mqr said:

Those are the fishiest ones for sure. I would not be at all surprised if there is some sort of handshake agreement to get and stay under luxury tax

The Cubs are already at $229 million.

You can’t force Harper on them...after watching Darvish and Heyward, most of their fanbase is at best neutral and many are openly against another mega contract, instead preferring to invest in extensions for their own players.

The a Red Sox just won a World Series being over the first tax threshold.

The Dodgers are proving big spending doesn’t guarantee a World Series win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Baron said:

I mean if the Padres sign him that's not a good thing in pretty much every aspect. 

Really...this just pushes the Phillies to up their offer into "stupid money" and they get him...while we get Machado at a bit higher clip than we are comfortable with...and a range that SD will NEVER reach. My guess on this is that Harper goes to Phillies at 10/335 and Sox land Machado at 8/275

Boras gets his guy highest contract ever...Lozano settles for less years but a high AAV and both agents can blow their gross wads into cocaine and 3rd summer houses. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There isn't a possibility of owners being ousted as the owners doing the colluding would need to include the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs as they are the obvious ones who would be able to afford this type of contract.

But those teams are all at or near the tax and penalty threshold. The problem here is that the PA agreed to the current system which for all intents are purposes is a salary cap, but without getting the benefit of revenue sharing. They can't blame the huge market teams for not breaking rules they agreed upon.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Lozano and Boras know that its beneficial for their clients to have at least three teams seriously involved in the bidding. Its the only way they can really maximize each deal. They were both going to make sure that this happened before they sign anything. Its getting closer to an end in the life cycle of all of this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shipps said:

Both Lozano and Boras know that its beneficial for their clients to have at least three teams seriously involved in the bidding. Its the only way they can really maximize each deal. They were both going to make sure that this happened before they sign anything. Its getting closer to an end in the life cycle of all of this. 

-We all say for the 17th time in the the last month and a half

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×