yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Then log off, rather that make claims that Manny is going to sign because of where a team has their spring training home, or that both players are taking one year deals..that’s different than being “tired of the whole saga”

I'm just saying not to discount those things happening. I would not be surprised at all if Harper and Machado took one year deals. I also wouldn't be surprised if the ST location was an important part of Machado's decision making process, It just seems to me that location is more important than money to both of these guys. Manny wants to play in NY and Harper wants to play for a national brand. I'd imagine if the Mets got involved with Machado it would be over pretty quickly and he'd sign with them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm just saying not to discount those things happening. I would not be surprised at all if Harper and Machado took one year deals. I also wouldn't be surprised if the ST location was an important part of Machado's decision making process, It just seems to me that location is more important than money to both of these guys. Manny wants to play in NY and Harper wants to play for a national brand. 

😂😂

If you've followed this process AT ALL, it's clear from the start the most important thing, and rightfully so, has been money. 

At this point, I don’t think having this done by start of ST is important at all to the big 2.  Who wouldn’t want to try to get a few more millions while missing “practice”.  Hahn even acknowledged it could go to March.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

See my other post: How many position players get seriously injured during a seaosn? I'd say it is around 5-10 and usually doesn't happen to stars. What happened to Corey Seager is unusual. 

Kris Bryant, Miggy, Judge, Eaton, Pollock, are a few that come to mind. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

😂😂

If you've followed this process AT ALL, it's clear from the start the most important thing, and rightfully so, has been money. 

I think they'd sign an 8/250 if they got to play where they wanted to. 

19 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm sure the Padres had no idea Machado's offers were that low even though they are a professional organization with all kinds of connections. They needed an Internet report to tell them the offer. Or......... they knew the offer or its ballpark, and waited to see if other teams would drive the price up. After a few months, no one has, so that means no one probably will. Now they can make a low offer to both and sell a great future knowing they have a legit chance. They don't have to fear the Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox or Yankkes. 

Yet, here we are after reports that exactly that happened.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

At this point, I don’t think having this done by start of ST is important at all to the big 2.  Who wouldn’t want to try to get a few more millions while missing “practice”.  Hahn even acknowledged it could go to March.

Totally agree. Way more important for the teams than the players. 

It certainly seems like there are 2-3 moves the Sox want to make IF they land Machado. If they don't, moves like Joc and Gio seem like a waste. But how long are those guys going to be on the market? 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Kris Bryant, Miggy, Judge, Eaton, Pollock, are a few that come to mind. 

Miggy is old, Judge didn't miss the whole season and he was still really good when he played.  Bryant I'll give you. Pollock is a good player, but nowhere near the level of HarpChado, and Pollock has been injured a lot over the years. 

There really are just a handful of position players that get hurt in a season, Those guys and Corey Seager are about all that come to mind. 

I've been arguing since about a week into the year that they're taking one year deals, and I don't see any reason why I should change my mind. They know their value, and they want to play for certain teams. If they don't get what they want this year, they'll play this year and go back on the market next year. 

There are a lot of factors going into their decision other than money, especially Harper. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Miggy is old, Judge didn't miss the whole season and he was still really good when he played.  Bryant I'll give you. Pollock is a good player, but nowhere near the level of HarpChado, and Pollock has been injured a lot over the years. 

There really are just a handful of position players that get hurt in a season, Those guys and Corey Seager are about all that come to mind. 

Any odds above 0% is not worth gambling that much money on. Especially if your a guy with past knee surgeries

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Any odds above 0% is not worth gambling that much money on. Especially if your a guy with past knee surgeries

We'll agree to disagree. We'll see who is correct in the end. I think you'll be surprised. 

So basically Manny went into the offseason thinking he'd get 10 years $350 million and play for the team he's always dreamed of playing for. Now he's looking at 8 years $250 million for a team he's probably never thought much about one way or another and hasn't been to the playoffs in 10 years. You can see why he probably has the inclination to wait and see if his prospects improve.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Its not a popular opinion, but I could see it dragging into the regular season.

21 minutes ago, mqr said:

Harper almost suffered a terrible knee injury two years ago

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've been arguing since about a week into the year that they're taking one year deals, and I don't see any reason why I should change my mind. They know their value, and they want to play for certain teams. If they don't get what they want this year, they'll play this year and go back on the market next year. 

There are a lot of factors going into their decision other than money, especially Harper. 

The point I was making is that it's possible for good players to get hurt. Any injury to Machado and Harper this year on a one year deal hurts big time. If they miss 60 games it will hurt their next contracts. 

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So the problem is the contract for the player who is still really good and not the 2 terrible contracts?

No, the problem is that the MLBPA thinks all these contracts should be exceeded by Machado/Harper deals, otherwise the word collusion applies.

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet, here we are after reports that exactly that happened.

The smae reports that have been wrong about everything. Hell, we don't even know if the 7/175 is correct. Again, MLB teams aren't stupid, they know what's going on in the game. Odds are, they are even colluding to keep contracts down. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The smae reports that have been wrong about everything. Hell, we don't even know if the 7/175 is correct. Again, MLB teams aren't stupid, they know what's going on in the game. Odds are, they are even colluding to keep contracts down. 

The report of 7/175 doesn't have to be correct.  It just had to get the Padres to call on Machado. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The report of 7/175 doesn't have to be correct.  It just had to get the Padres to call on Machado. 

The report prior to the 175 offer was 8 and 225 as the bid. So again, are we to believe the Padres had no inclination the bidding for him was low? Are we to believe Machado's agent hasn't called other teams trying to get a take for his client to beat the bid? 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

The report prior to the 175 offer was 8 and 225 as the bid. So again, are we to believe the Padres had no inclination the bidding for him was low? Are we to believe Machado's agent hasn't called other teams trying to get a take for his client to beat the bid? 

Why would Machado or his agent brag about low offers? If you were his agent and only had a 7/175, would you want that out there? Would you be telling other teams that it was the high bid?

24 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The point I was making is that it's possible for good players to get hurt. Any injury to Machado and Harper this year on a one year deal hurts big time. If they miss 60 games it will hurt their next contracts. 

Well sure. My point is that the chances are greater than zero, but in reality many magnitudes lower than 1%. Why would you risk getting what you want for .0001 % chance that you'll get hurt? It is non zero, but if you played 10K seasons you'd only get hurt enough to affect your contract in one of them. If you want to argue poor batted ball luck, that is another thing entirely. Teams should be smart enough to overlook that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why would Machado or his agent brag about low offers? If you were his agent and only had a 7/175, would you want that out there? Would you be telling other teams that it was the high bid?

Im guessing to get more teams involved? His job is to get the best offer possible and logic dictates that the more teams bidding, the higher the bids will get. Not that I believe any of what I see reported when it comes to this saga anyways.

2 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Im guessing to get more teams involved? His job is to get the best offer possible and logic dictates that the more teams bidding, the higher the bids will get. Not that I believe any of what I see reported when it comes to this saga anyways.

It is also worth noting that Rick Hahn said at Soxfest something to the effect of still not knowing what it would take to sign Machado. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is also worth noting that Rick Hahn said at Soxfest something to the effect of still not knowing what it would take to sign Machado. 

I think I believe Rick Hahn less than I believe anyone.

1 minute ago, KiwiSox said:

I think I believe Rick Hahn less than I believe anyone.

Including previous HR totals? 

Sorry, I had to. 😁