Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Would be another E and also the R someone guessed already and hangman usually will split the 2 words so you know ahead of time you're dealing with a 2 word answer instead of one word.

It’s amazing how when you focus on seeing a possible solution that fits that your mind locks in and simply overlooks the two E problem.

https://theathletic.com/795884/2019/02/01/rosenthal-why-the-dodgers-pulled-away-from-bryce-harper-nolan-arenados-future-prospect-on-the-move/?fbclid=IwAR1JkXfRGop2mGgragbOBNHKxqz5HVqQHpFUlogpulUL6YTE5rrdFvcoGFU

"Machado, a right-handed hitter, would have been a better fit, but the Dodgers became less enamored of him once they got to know him."

Interesting tidbit from Rosenthal here. Apparently, the dodgers didn't really like him

20 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

https://theathletic.com/795884/2019/02/01/rosenthal-why-the-dodgers-pulled-away-from-bryce-harper-nolan-arenados-future-prospect-on-the-move/?fbclid=IwAR1JkXfRGop2mGgragbOBNHKxqz5HVqQHpFUlogpulUL6YTE5rrdFvcoGFU

"Machado, a right-handed hitter, would have been a better fit, but the Dodgers became less enamored of him once they got to know him."

Interesting tidbit from Rosenthal here. Apparently, the dodgers didn't really like him

What was it about Machado, that caused the Dodgers to "become less enamored of him"? Was it what we all saw, during the Playoffs?

• Love 1

Never mind, I found this article, which I can read, without subscribing to The Athletic:, although it doesn't really give a specific description of the Dodgers' disillusionment, with Machado:  https://www.dodgersnation.com/rosenthal-dodgers-out-on-harper-machado-and-explains-their-spending-practices/2019/02/02/

Edited by Lillian
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

This is exactly what I was concerned about.  Boras convinces some owner that Harper is worth well beyond his on-field contributions and now we have a last minute entry to the Harper sweepstakes.  Hopefully the Padres have financial restrictions and aren’t a real threat here.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is exactly what I was concerned about.  Boras convinces some owner that Harper is worth well beyond his on-field contributions and now we have a last minute entry to the Harper sweepstakes.  Hopefully the Padres have financial restrictions and aren’t a real threat here.

Harper is a huge marketing opportunity and I don't think Padres needed Boras to convince them of that.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Harper is a huge marketing opportunity and I don't think Padres needed Boras to convince them of that.  

Well if you beleive the tweet, why are they suddenly getting involved now?  My fear has always been a team decides to make a late run at Harper and once a billionaire owner gets involved it’s possible they refuse to lose.  We really need to the Phillies to land Bryce, because I truly believe they’re our only real threat for Machado.

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well if you beleive the tweet, why are they suddenly getting involved now?  My fear has always been a team decides to make a late run at Harper and once a billionaire owner gets involved it’s possible they refuse to lose.  We really need to the Phillies to land Bryce, because I truly believe they’re our only real threat for Machado.

There's no chance that the Padres needed Boras to show them the marketing greatness that Harper possesses. My guess is that they initially thought that they'd be priced out of the two whales, and no realize that they can afford them due to how bad the market has been. I still think that means that ultimately Harper/Machado get deals that they were somewhat looking for and that means Padres are left on the outside.

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Heyman is a well known mouthpiece for Boras. Nothing to see here. Think about it. They already turned down $300 million. They won’t sign for a discount . If SD was willing to pay more than $300 million, they would have been in this a lot sooner.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

There's no chance that the Padres needed Boras to show them the marketing greatness that Harper possesses. My guess is that they initially thought that they'd be priced out of the two whales, and no realize that they can afford them due to how bad the market has been. I still think that means that ultimately Harper/Machado get deals that they were somewhat looking for and that means Padres are left on the outside.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Heyman is a well known mouthpiece for Boras. Nothing to see here. Think about it. They already turned down $300 million. They won’t sign for a discount . If SD was willing to pay more than $300 million, they would have been in this a lot sooner.

Look, I’m not panicking over this and I can totally see this just being a Boras plant.  That being said, all I’m saying is this represents the risk of slow playing the market too much.  I said it earlier this offseason, but with Harper it’s not that crazy envisioning one ego-maniac billionaire owner entering the sweepstakes late and deciding to say “fuck the budget” and do whatever it takes to land Bryce because he can be a transformative signing for the franchise.  Again, maybe the Padres aren’t really that type of threat here, but it reflects why utilizing the Red Sox’s strategy with J.D. Martinez may be a dangerous game to play.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, maybe the Padres aren’t really that type of threat here, but it reflects why utilizing the Red Sox’s strategy with J.D. Martinez may be a dangerous game to play.

Yup, I'm with you there. I would rather the W'Sox pony up the money for Machado + Harper wayyy earlier.

The way this is dragging on leads me to believe the White Sox FO is being as cheap as possible here which is not a good sign, but I still think they at least get one. 

5 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

S

____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S
  |    |   
  |   
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ E S

Anybody up for a little Hangman while we wait for Manny to sign?

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

What was it about Machado, that caused the Dodgers to "become less enamored of him"? Was it what we all saw, during the Playoffs?

You know, I’m sure Machado’s personality probably rubs some the wrong way. He can be a jerk while playing the game. He is very arrogant. He’s a narcissist. But damnit he has more talent than the Sox have seen since probably the big Hurt? 

10 minutes ago, shipps said:

You know, I’m sure Machado’s personality probably rubs some the wrong way. He can be a jerk while playing the game. He is very arrogant. He’s a narcissist. But damnit he has more talent than the Sox have seen since probably the big Hurt? 

How dare you diss Ross Gload like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mechee89 said:
____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S
  |    |   
  |   
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ E S

Anybody up for a little Hangman while we wait for Manny to sign?

Hey I guessed D 2 posts after the S guess . Did you miss it ?

16 minutes ago, shipps said:

I assumed that it was probably about the "dirty player" moniker and, or his comments about not being "Johnny Hustle". Those couple of plays at first base, where he kicked the first baseman's ankle in one instance and stepped on another's foot, looked really bad. I have been concerned about his character, from the start, because the Sox have a lot of young Latin players. It would be a shame if he were to become their role model. They all seem to be such good kids, and hopefully they would not be negatively influenced by any one player, with questionable character. To me, that might be the biggest benefit to having both Alonso and Jay around. They are purportedly really great guys and have mentored Manny, for a long time. They would likely keep him in line.

Edited by Lillian
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I assumed that it was probably about the "dirty player" moniker and, or his comments about not being "Johnny Hustle". Those couple of plays at first base, where he kicked the first baseman's ankle in one instance and stepped on another's foot, looked really bad. I have been concerned about his character, from the start, because the Sox have a lot of young Latin players. It would be a shame if he were to become their role model. They all seem to be such good kids, and hopefully they would not be negatively influenced by any one player, with questionable character. To me, that might be the biggest benefit to having both Alonso and Jay around. They are purportedly really great guys and have mentored Manny, for a long time. They would likely keep him in line.

I wouldn’t worry about him being a role model or influence on our young Latin talent. Those guys are going to be who they are regardless of Manny’s influence m. I truly believe his personality quirks have been way overblown. There are bad dudes somewhere within every lineup, they don’t ruin the team dynamic . Especially when they are Uber talented. When it’s a bad team everyone focuses on the personality flaws of each guy but it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the cause of the team failure .

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hey I guessed D 2 posts after the S guess . Did you miss it ?

____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D
  |    |   
  |   /
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ E S
Edited by mechee89

10 minutes ago, mechee89 said:
____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D
  |    |   
  |   /
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

X

1 hour ago, TitoMB345 said:

X

____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X
  |    |   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres