Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

48 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Agree to disagree here. It took Moncada hitting .235 for him to put up an OBP 15 points lower than Jay. I don't think he will win any batting titles, but Yoan will improve on that average. The only way I see anyone predicting Jay to get on base more is either expecting a fluke fountain-of-youth type season from him or just thinking in general that Yoan is a bust and won't improve over his age 23 season.

Bingo. Great post.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Guys, Jon Jay is not a productive big league ballplayer. Anderson and Moncada are productive. I know you don' t care about KC fans but they laugh at the mention of Jon Jay. Suffice it to say he was Juan Pierre-like, Dwyane Wise-like in terms of what fans thought of him here. My hope is he is a good influence with his pal, Manny, but gets less than 200 at bats. You tell me why Jon Jay should even beat out Engel?

Tell me all about Joakim Soria

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roughneck said:

Agree to disagree here. It took Moncada hitting .235 for him to put up an OBP 15 points lower than Jay. I don't think he will win any batting titles, but Yoan will improve on that average. The only way I see anyone predicting Jay to get on base more is either expecting a fluke fountain-of-youth type season from him or just thinking in general that Yoan is a bust and won't improve over his age 23 season.

I think part of it will be Jay will be better in a part time role so his will improve. I don't think Moncada will change his strikeout ways and while he will improve in power and other aspects of the game I don't think he will be a great OBP guy. So he won't be a bust but OBP will be his weakness.

13 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Just a random thought, and maybe it's been mentioned before, but what if Machado was waiting for Arenado's arb deal to be announced? Seems like a really good number to counter teams with in negotiations.

Stop it. People aren't allowed to make sense on this board. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Tell me all about Joakim Soria

Soria did OK as a Sox. My feeling is he got fixed by Coop. I really hope we can flip Jay as soon as possible. Nobody took me up on my question when I asked folks to name one thing he does well. I won't rip him any more, but his stats scream that he's not a productive player. I'd rather have Engel.

29 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think part of it will be Jay will be better in a part time role so his will improve. I don't think Moncada will change his strikeout ways and while he will improve in power and other aspects of the game I don't think he will be a great OBP guy. So he won't be a bust but OBP will be his weakness.

I don't think that Moncada can improve his game much without improving the strikeout part. 

16 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Did Kopech, Cease, Madrigal, Robert, Dunning, Collins, Rutherford, etc die?

Collins and Rutherford are pretty garbage prospects. Let's be honest, a career .220 or so minor league hitter and a guy with like 10 homeruns in 3 seasons aren't very exciting prospects

Edited by Whitesoxa6
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Just a random thought, and maybe it's been mentioned before, but what if Machado was waiting for Arenado's arb deal to be announced? Seems like a really good number to counter teams with in negotiations.

He already settled at 26 million a couple days ago

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So unless you can become a better than average player, you are a garbage prospect.  Makes perfect sense.

Usually to be a good prospect, you have to show upside of becoming an average major leaguer. A 1B/DH who hits .230 in the low minors is garbage. There's no way he's ever above a .220 hitter in the majors at this rate but I'd love to be proven wrong

3 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

Usually to be a good prospect, you have to show upside of becoming an average major leaguer. A 1B/DH who hits .230 in the low minors is garbage. There's no way he's ever above a .220 hitter in the majors at this rate but I'd love to be proven wrong

He also walks 20% of the time, but if you want to judge a prospect entirely on their batting average that’s on you.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He also walks 20% of the time, but if you want to judge a prospect entirely on their batting average that’s on you.

Nobody who hits .230 in the minors and strikes out at a 30% clip is going to come close to that number in the majors. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but nobody has yet to name a good major league 1b/Dh that had close to the pathetic career stats that Collins has in the minors 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres