Jump to content
yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

He will take some pitches also...and having Moncada going before Manny will put pressure on pitchers to throw fastballs. 1st inning at bats for Yoan will be great if Jay gets on base...since most pitchers lead fastball heavy until they establish the curves/sliders. Fear of Manny will increase Moncada's FB rate by at least 15-20% in the first inning...and we know what Yoan can do with a FB.

Already mentioned this, but sticking Eloy and and Machado behind Moncada alone will drop his K rate 3-4% if I had to bet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Man this just needs to get over with

This is taking way to long, Maybe hes in denial about the yankees. At this point whichever  fanbase doesnt sign him will turn on manny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Anderson has a lifetime OBP of 286 and was 281 last year.

Moncada has a lifetime of 318 and 315 last year

Jay has a 352 lifetime and a 330 last year

 

He will be on base more than either of those two next year. 

Even ignoring that Jay is aged, that his numbers declined last year and might decline further, it's wrong to assume he will get on base at a higher clip than Moncada. In a year that was pretty bad for him and his expectations, Yoan still got on base at a clip of only .015 lower than Jay. If he improves a hair, he's beating Jay. And I don't even want Moncada batting leadoff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IowaPG said:

This is taking way to long, Maybe hes in denial about the yankees. At this point whichever  fanbase doesnt sign him will turn on manny.

It seems that most fans already hate manny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that this process has clearly shown- the baseball "insiders" are horrible.  Heyman should be embarrassed by his reporting in that tweet.  Talk about grasping to say anything and when they do its speculation and not true.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't work great for lineup construction, but I would be kind of tempted to just let Yoan bat in a place that doesn't put unnecessary pressure on him or require him to think too much at the plate.  

Just stick him in the 6th or 7th spot against RHP and 7th or 8th against LHP and just let him hit without worrying about that things that come with being a leadoff hitter or batting in the 2 hole.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

4 months ago NO ONE thought that was out of line.

No one thought that was out of line because that's what these media guys kept wanting you to think. These guys are advertising for agents in the hopes they hype their guys and get paid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Anderson has a lifetime OBP of 286 and was 281 last year.

Moncada has a lifetime of 318 and 315 last year

Jay has a 352 lifetime and a 330 last year

 

He will be on base more than either of those two next year. 

Jon Jay isn't part of the future of this team. Anderson and Moncada are, so I think they should get as many at-bats as possible even if their OBP% is lower. That's my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It doesn't work great for lineup construction, but I would be kind of tempted to just let Yoan bat in a place that doesn't put unnecessary pressure on him or require him to think too much at the plate.  

Just stick him in the 6th or 7th spot against RHP and 7th or 8th against LHP and just let him hit without worrying about that things that come with being a leadoff hitter or batting in the 2 hole.  

He might be a better 2 slot hitter as much as he likes to take pitches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

He might be a better 2 slot hitter as much as he likes to take pitches.

Long term, I agree.  But for now, he needs to learn to be more aggressive.  I think putting him in the 2 hole may cause him to think too much right now.  We just need him to see ball, and when in zone, swing at ball.  Back to the basics.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Long term, I agree.  But for now, he needs to learn to be more aggressive.  I think putting him in the 2 hole may cause him to think too much right now.  We just need him to see ball, and when in zone, swing at ball.  Back to the basics.  

But putting him in front of better hitters will result in more balls in the zone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqr said:

But putting him in front of better hitters will result in more balls in the zone

We need more better hitters then, hopefully by April 15 we have two more in the line up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Even ignoring that Jay is aged, that his numbers declined last year and might decline further, it's wrong to assume he will get on base at a higher clip than Moncada. In a year that was pretty bad for him and his expectations, Yoan still got on base at a clip of only .015 lower than Jay. If he improves a hair, he's beating Jay. And I don't even want Moncada batting leadoff.

Only going on last year.  Jay had a better OBP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Jon Jay isn't part of the future of this team. Anderson and Moncada are, so I think they should get as many at-bats as possible even if their OBP% is lower. That's my point.

I understand the point. However, the 30 or so at bats that Anderson or Moncada will be deprived won't make much of a difference. As the lineup stands, the Sox have too many #9 hitters so Jay needs to be somewhere else in the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Only going on last year.  Jay had a better OBP.

Okay, because you said "next year." I don't think Yoan is going to have a rough a year as he did in 2018, and I think his OBP will be considerably higher than Jay's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Okay, because you said "next year." I don't think Yoan is going to have a rough a year as he did in 2018, and I think his OBP will be considerably higher than Jay's.

Possible. I think based on each if their histories that Jay will have the higher OBP next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on what the data tells us, I'd put one of my best 3 hitters at leadoff, provided that player isn't really slow, and then my best at 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Possible. I think based on each if their histories that Jay will have the higher OBP next year.

Agree to disagree here. It took Moncada hitting .235 for him to put up an OBP 15 points lower than Jay. I don't think he will win any batting titles, but Yoan will improve on that average. The only way I see anyone predicting Jay to get on base more is either expecting a fluke fountain-of-youth type season from him or just thinking in general that Yoan is a bust and won't improve over his age 23 season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Jon Jay isn't part of the future of this team. Anderson and Moncada are, so I think they should get as many at-bats as possible even if their OBP% is lower. That's my point.

Guys, Jon Jay is not a productive big league ballplayer. Anderson and Moncada are productive. I know you don' t care about KC fans but they laugh at the mention of Jon Jay. Suffice it to say he was Juan Pierre-like, Dwyane Wise-like in terms of what fans thought of him here. My hope is he is a good influence with his pal, Manny, but gets less than 200 at bats. You tell me why Jon Jay should even beat out Engel?

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Guys, Jon Jay is not a productive big league ballplayer. Anderson and Moncada are productive. I know you don' t care about KC fans but they laugh at the mention of Jon Jay. Suffice it to say he was Juan Pierre-like, Dwyane Wise-like in terms of what fans thought of him here. My hope is he is a good influence with his pal, Manny, but gets less than 200 at bats. You tell me why Jon Jay should even beat out Engel?

Maybe if Engel didn't look like he was swinging a bat for the first time ever, we would view him differently.

  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because everything sucks and we live in hell, Manny is going to sign, like, a 3 year deal with an opt out after one with the Yankees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Agree to disagree here. It took Moncada hitting .235 for him to put up an OBP 15 points lower than Jay. I don't think he will win any batting titles, but Yoan will improve on that average. The only way I see anyone predicting Jay to get on base more is either expecting a fluke fountain-of-youth type season from him or just thinking in general that Yoan is a bust and won't improve over his age 23 season.

Bingo. Great post.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Guys, Jon Jay is not a productive big league ballplayer. Anderson and Moncada are productive. I know you don' t care about KC fans but they laugh at the mention of Jon Jay. Suffice it to say he was Juan Pierre-like, Dwyane Wise-like in terms of what fans thought of him here. My hope is he is a good influence with his pal, Manny, but gets less than 200 at bats. You tell me why Jon Jay should even beat out Engel?

Tell me all about Joakim Soria

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×