Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

Because theoretically with the White Sox he'd get the best of both worlds, he'd have a long term guarantee if for whatever reason the market crashes for him (injury, he suddenly sucks, etc...) but if he continues to be great and the CBA remedies whatever is depressing the market he can opt out and be a free agent again or, if all is going well here, have the Sox re-do the backend of his deal. 

The advantage to the Sox would be to get him signed, not necessarily keep him long-term. 

It's possible that the Sox will have no choice but to give an opt out early in the contract.  Manny may well say that he'll sign a shorter term deal with someone else without it.

But for the Sox to go into this without doing everything they can to keep him long term (including offering more years/money to avoid opt outs) is crazy IMO.  Having him walk in 2021 when the Sox WS contention window is opening would be a travesty.

5 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Isn’t keeping him longer than one or two years the goal here? It doesn’t the whitesox no good to let him sign for an opt out after 2019 if they aren’t really planning on competing until 2020 and even then you may not fully be ready to win it all until 2021. To me it defeats the purpose of bringing him in then.

I guess maybe in the sense of getting him here, letting him get to know the organization, and then throwing more money in his lap to keep him here longer could be easier. Think last off-season when they tried trading for one year of him.

Just now, GenericUserName said:

What would suck more, not getting him (or Harper) or getting one of them on a deal with a short term opt out that its almost guaranteed they will take so that we basically have to wait in agony for them to leave us right when we will really need them?

For me, its not getting them at all. Getting Machado or Harper, even short term will have a bunch of benefits. It will also prove that the front office will commit big money to free agents.

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

My thoughts exactly. The opt outs will be very creative. 

The previous leak said that at some point the Sox would have to decide on executing an option to add some amount of time to the back of his contract, and if they didn't, then Manny could opt for free agency that year.

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

For me, its not getting them at all. Getting Machado or Harper, even short term will have a bunch of benefits. It will also prove that the front office will commit big money to free agents.

Give me Manny for 3 years instead of nothing at all. Gives team more credibility and allows Yoan to stay at 2nd.  Getting one of the big guys would be the biggest boost to fan morale since 2005.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Someone smarter than me please explain how this is an advantage for the Sox. I thought our leverage was that we were able to add him long term for big dollars and other teams would be happy to add him for a short term deal?

Well, it's Phil Rogers, so it doesn't have to make sense. But I took I to mean that Manny would be happy signing a 7 year deal, as opposed to the 10 year deal he was looking for, which clearly doesn't exist.

Edited by Roughneck

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Give me Manny for 3 years instead of nothing at all. Gives team more credibility and allows Yoan to stay at 2nd.  Getting one of the big guys would be the biggest boost to fan morale since 2005.

This. 2 years i would still take him for but doesn’t do much for the long term and contending if you end up losing him down the line.

6 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

What is there to elaborate? it's his opinion lol

Like I explained already, I wanted to know what about those tweets made him feel that way. Maybe he is seeing something I am not. I am looking for some optimism to grab on to. 

Edited by Orlando

The Sox had interest in acquiring him, via trade, for the purpose of letting him get comfortable with the organization. This is a completely different scenario. They would be paying him a huge amount of money, for a couple years, which are not within the projected window of contention. This would be extremely foolish. If he insists on an opt out, any earlier than 4 years, the front office should not agree. 

To me, it's much the same as the argument over where he would be willing to play. As long as he agreed to play 3RD, he would add great value. If he had insisted on SS, where he is not an elite defender, that could have been a reason to pass on the acquisition. In other words, if he can come to the Sox and help them win, when and how it seems plausible, fine. If not, I'd pass.

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Like I explained already, I wanted to know what about those tweets made him feel that way. Maybe he is seeing something I am not. I am looking for some optimism to grab on to. "LOL"

its a tweet dude, take it for face value. Not some kind of hidden message

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

its a tweet dude, take it for face value. Not some kind of hidden message

Lol, no one is looking for hidden messages. I am trying to discuss another poster's opinion with him. Its ok to play hangman or talk about music in the thread but this is a problem? You are getting dangerously close to being challenged to a ban bet! 😂

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Lol, no one is looking for hidden messages. I am trying to discuss another poster's opinion with him. Its ok to play hangman or talk about music in the thread but this is a problem? You are getting dangerously close to being challenged to a ban bet! 😂

All of the things mentioned in this post are the reason the last 30 pages or so of this thread have been barely anything about Machado.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres