Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

So basically, Buster has no info at all on this. But adding "could go higher" leaves him room to save face when Manny signs for something like $250 mil.

I think there is info in that the market for these two players really is two teams.

There has been a lot of buzz trying to get around that fact, begging rich teams to get in play, saying they should sign shorter deals, but it appears both teams have positioned themselves at bids high enough to prevent others from making a run while low enough it hasnt resolved.

If that offer gets them, I'll give hahn a standing O. But if I was in the seat and had backing of ownership, I'd have positioned themselves higher publicly on machado to truly make a short term deal outlandish.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think there is info in that the market for these two players really is two teams.

There has been a lot of buzz trying to get around that fact, begging rich teams to get in play, saying they should sign shorter deals, but it appears both teams have positioned themselves at bids high enough to prevent others from making a run while low enough it hasnt resolved.

If that offer gets them, I'll give hahn a standing O. But if I was in the seat and had backing of ownership, I'd have positioned themselves higher publicly on machado to truly make a short term deal outlandish.

I Don't think there's anyway Machado's camp doesn't turn around and try and get a better deal from the Sox. If Machado takes a short term deal, it's because the Sox didn't want to step up.

2 minutes ago, glangon said:

Hold on. Olney and Nightengale were both called out by Lozano for spouting garbage. Why should be believe what they are saying? For all we or they know, the pair could sign next week.

I'm waiting for Lozano to call them out again.

I think it was Phil Rogers who tweeted the fact that Lozano called them out made it seem more likely they are accurate.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I Don't think there's anyway Machado's camp doesn't turn around and try and get a better deal from the Sox. If Machado takes a short term deal, it's because the Sox didn't want to step up.

I mean, obviously they've been trying. But hopefully not through collusionary means, the sox and phillies have presented themselves as serious but also willing to beat bids. So teams know they dont just have to match the sox bid, they have to beat it multiple times.

So there have been mystery teams but they come in and never seem to accelerate, nobody has come in with a higher bid. That means there are two teams.

5 minutes ago, glangon said:

Hold on. Olney and Nightengale were both called out by Lozano for spouting garbage. Why should be believe what they are saying? For all we or they know, the pair could sign next week.

I'm waiting for Lozano to call them out again.

Yeah, Lozano, or "Honest Dan" as he's known, is definitely a guy to put all your trust in for accurate info.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

Yeah, Lozano, or "Honest Dan" as he's known, is definitely a guy to put all your trust in for accurate info.

To be fair, I don't trust any of them but those two in particular were called out. I'm happy not to believe any of them until he signs.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Phillies and White Sox serious suitors and in drivers seat 

similar to Red Sox w JD last year

nats offer to Harper off the table

yanks prob not in on Machado 

could go into march

mystery teams seem to show weakness on agents side with lower offers than expected

Thanks.  This may sound dumb, but I’d rather give Manny 8/$280M w/ an opt-out after four year and a swell-opt that can push it to five years by exercising an option than go 7/$210M but give him a straight opt-out after two.  Given where we are in our rebuild, pay the fucking premium and buy an extra year or two of guaranteed control.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, glangon said:

To be fair, I don't trust any of them but those two in particular were called out. I'm happy not to believe any of them until he signs.

I think some version of the contract has a level that is 7 for 175 at one point, but I think olney/nightengale were way too definitive on the contract and that it was in stasis. 

Or not, but I don't trust lozano as far as I can throw him.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks.  This may sound dumb, but I’d rather give Manny 8/$280M w/ an opt-out after four year and a swell-opt that can push it to five years by exercising an option than go 7/$210M but give him a straight opt-out after two.  Given where we are in our rebuild, pay the fucking premium and buy an extra year or two of guaranteed control.

Exactly. If we don't make a move like this now, when will we?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

my impression is that the swell opt structure would be more like (this is made up and just an example):

7 for 175

Opt out can be triggered after year four unless team exercises option to make it 9 years for $235 mill.

I don't see a structure that says the deal is 8/280 but player can opt out for year 4 but team gets a 5th year, then I'm not even sure what the 8 year deal is doing.

I guess a player exercise option after year four that if enacted, allows team to decide to pull trigger on a 5th year?  Would be strange.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

my impression is that the swell opt structure would be more like (this is made up and just an example):

7 for 175

Opt out can be triggered after year four unless team exercises option to make it 9 years for $235 mill.

I don't see a structure that says the deal is 8/280 but player can opt out for year 4 but team gets a 5th year, then I'm not even sure what the 8 year deal is doing.

I guess a player exercise option after year four that if enacted, allows team to decide to pull trigger on a 5th year?  Would be strange.

This is the exact impression I had of the options that were being discussed for Machado as well.  Essentially at some point in the contract there will be an option to add more years on to the back of the contract (maybe after year 3 or 4?) if the Sox exercise, the years are added, nothing extra happens.  If the Sox do NOT exercise the option, then Machado can elect free agency that same off season.

32 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think it is pretty clear he isn’t getting $300 million, and it has been clear for months.

I assume so, yes. But if Manny if furious because he expected that $300 mil or the title of biggest contract ever for a few days before Harper signed, I could see it. Manny is losing nothing by holding out here. Maybe he has blind hope that some team will have their entire offseason be a failure and decide in the middle of February that they want to give him $300 mil. I'm not saying that's likely, but I could see him still holding out hope that someone will step up with that bigger deal he wants.

Anyone ever watch the Adam Sandler movie "Click"?

Where he gets the remote and he wants to fast-forward his life to when he gets his promotion. Then he's shocked at how long it actually took? I feel like if I had that remote and used it to fast-forward to when Manny and Harper finally make a decision, I'd be surprised at how far into the future it took me. Especially if I'd used it back in December.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

7 for 175

Apologies if my scenario wasn’t clear.  What I’m proposing is Machado would have the right to opt-out after four years if we don’t guarantee another year (or potentially even two) to the backend of his deal prior to that point in time.  By guaranteeing that year or two, we could delay has opt-out until after year five.

So the base contract would be 8/$280M, but our swell-opt would push it to say 9/$315M.  Machado could leave after year five and having earned $175M or could stick around for essentially a 4/$140M contract for his age 31 to 34 seasons.

• Like 1

Yest 

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Apologies if my scenario wasn’t clear.  What I’m proposing is Machado would have the right to opt-out after four years if we don’t guarantee another year (or potentially even two) to the backend of his deal prior to that point in time.  By guaranteeing that year or two, we could delay has opt-out until after year five.

So the base contract would be 8/$280M, but our swell-opt would push it to say 9/$315M.  Machado could leave after year five and having earned $175M or could stick around for essentially a 4/$140M contract for his age 31 to 34 seasons.

Yeah I totally agree.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres