Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Spin rate will definitely improve command. Makes the fastball straighter and the breaking pitches tighter.

While I’d normally be willing to accept defeat here 😊, Carson wasn’t just missing by inches.  He was all over the place and walking between 5 to 7 per nine innings.  I’m not sure crisper offerings will change that enough, but clearly I’m not a pitching expert.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I’d normally be willing to accept defeat here 😊, Carson wasn’t just missing by inches.  He was all over the place and walking between 5 to 7 per nine innings.  I’m not sure crisper offerings will change that enough, but clearly I’m not a pitching expert.

Me neither, but maybe there is also an added placebo effect that allows him to have better command?

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is interesting:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-2019-mlb-free-agents-and-trade-rumors/c-297641124?tid=282421090

Story says Manny "turned down" the Sox offer of 175 million "recently."

First time I've heard of this one.

Don't know how I feel about this. I don't see any author for the piece and a lot of the other rumors have a reporter attached to them in the article. The manny turning down that offer is not attached to any reporter. Wonder if it's just a slip up.

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is interesting:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-2019-mlb-free-agents-and-trade-rumors/c-297641124?tid=282421090

Must have came from Bruce Levine.

Honestly, if 7/175 was the Sox initial offer, then yes he turned it down.   But its definitely gone up from that.  

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The mechanics also will improve to keep the spin rate consistently high. But you're right, all of these things will help but until he shows it in a game, there is no telling if it helps enough.

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is interesting:

Don’t believe it. I do think anyone but the Sox FO and Manny’s camp know the actual numbers. That article just takes Nightengale’s report and runs with it. 

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Don’t believe it. I do think anyone but the Sox FO and Manny’s camp know the actual numbers. That article just takes Nightengale’s report and runs with it. 

But Nightengale never said that he turned down that offer. This is new info #privateeye @hi8is

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% disagree here.  Three months from now Fulmer could have zero value, while Joc is a cheap, useful player that could be traded at deadline and return sometime greater if necessary.  The only reason you don’t make trade is if you’re convinced Driveline can return Carson to former 1st round pick glory.

This is why I HATE talking about the draft and despise tanking/rebuilding. Fulmer was No. 8 overall pick and we're talking about zero value. Will we be saying the same about Madrigal? Burger? Geez I despise modern baseball. Could those of you who love the rebuild and draft comment? Thank you.

Please don't tell me, "would you prefer the other way? Mediocrity?" Uh ... yes I would, cause if you have a fricking mediocre team you can then SIGN FREE AGENTS and then add bullpen pieces and then add a good bat or two. It's not my fault this inept front office thought guys like LaRoche, Dunn (until his last year) and some of those other free agents blew chunks! How bout sign the right free agents and evaluate talent correctly to add to a mediocre to B- base?!!!

Say what you want about me and my lousy knowledge of analytics... we're discussing Fulmer possibly having zero value which is unacceptable to me and should be unacceptable to those of you who worship the DRAFT.

Edited by greg775

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is why I HATE talking about the draft and despise tanking/rebuilding. Fulmer was No. 8 overall pick and we're talking about zero value. Will we be saying the same about Madrigal? Burger? Geez I despise modern baseball. Could those of you who love the rebuild and draft comment? Thank you.

Please don't tell me, "would you prefer the other way? Mediocrity?" Uh ... yes I would, cause if you have a fricking mediocre team you can then SIGN FREE AGENTS and then add bullpen pieces and then add a good bat or two. It's not my fault this inept front office thought guys like LaRoche, Dunn (until his last year) and some of those other free agents blew chunks! How bout sign the right free agents and evaluate talent correctly to add to a mediocre to B- base?!!!

Say what you want about me and my lousy knowledge of analytics... we're discussing Fulmer possibly having zero value which is unacceptable to me and should be unacceptable to those of you who worship the DRAFT.

There are numerous other threads to rehash this tired argument again.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Wut

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

There are numerous other threads to rehash this tired argument again.  

Then why did somebody make a post or ten about Fulmer being a bust on here? It's not me bringing it up. It's me responding in anger. Tell the person who brought up Fulmer. Show me the thread about the lousy draft picks cause I'm ready to tee off on KW for five of the last seven No. 1 picks.

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Then why did somebody make a post or ten about Fulmer being a bust on here? It's not me bringing it up. It's me responding in anger. Tell the person who brought up Fulmer. Show me the thread about the lousy draft picks cause I'm ready to tee off on KW for five of the last seven No. 1 picks.

Dude. Logout of your account, turn off the computer, and go lie down for a little bit. Breathe.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Could those of you who love the rebuild and draft comment? Thank you.

Three sentences into reading your post, I knew it was you buttercup. Only then did your glorious screen name greet my eyes to verify.

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You really are clueless aren't you?

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres