Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

To be fair, no one really wants to go to the South Side of Chicago either.

That's not really true.  The big problem is the Sox are never the ones offering the biggest money. If you listened this off season, no one has actually said they didn't want to play for the White Sox.  There have been plenty that said they didn't want to play for Philadelphia, including both Machado and Harper, if the reports are true.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Plenty of people want to come to Chicago. The South Side part is completely irrelevant. 

I think it is relevant. The Cubs have much more of a national presence and the truth of the matter is that nobody cares about the Sox outside of the city proper, SW Burbs and NW Indiana, save for a few transplants and people like myself in the remaining burbs. Honestly, I think that the Sox market is closer to the Twins and Indians than a large market. As a matter of fact, I think the Cardinals probably have a bigger fanbase than the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think it is relevant. The Cubs have much more of a national presence and the truth of the matter is that nobody cares about the Sox outside of the city proper, SW Burbs and NW Indiana, save for a few transplants and people like myself in the remaining burbs. Honestly, I think that the Sox market is closer to the Twins and Indians than a large market. As a matter of fact, I think the Cardinals probably have a bigger fanbase than the Sox. 

That's a Sox perception problem, not a South Side problem.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Cubs do?  Who do they lose other than Zobrist and some relievers?

Hamels. He's making 21M in 2019. 

They only have 93M committed next year. 

Granted, they both have a lot of good players in Arb years, but I don't think it would be enough to kill them signing one of those guys. You don't think the Cubs would trade Schwarber, Almora and others in an instant if they could get Harper. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Ellsbury is signed through the 2021 season and Gardner is is making 7.5M so while his salary will come off the books it's barely noticeable.

Zobrist money coming off the books will easily be eaten up by arbitration players next year. Lester, Darvish, Heyward and Chatwood are the big money contracts holding back the cubs and those contracts aren't going anywhere.

would think that zobrist is more valueable to cubs than ellsbury and gardner in a crowded and expensive outfield

2 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

would think that zobrist is more valueable to cubs than ellsbury and gardner in a crowded and expensive outfield

Also, don't discount the idea of Samardzija and Melancon for Heyward as well as Cueto for Ellsbury. Cueto is still good when he isn't hurt though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Cueto for ellsbury makes perfect sense, but isnt cueto out for year with tj? 

Yes. He's still good when not injured. That would really help the Yankees fill out their rotation next year as well. I think that one at the very least is likely to happen. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Granted, they both have a lot of good players in Arb years, but I don't think it would be enough to kill them signing one of those guys. You don't think the Cubs would trade Schwarber, Almora and others in an instant if they could get Harper. 

They have $130 mill on the books next year. That isn't considering the Arb of Bryant, Baez, Hendricks, Schwarber, Contreras, Happ, Almora, and Edwards.  There will be substantial Arb contracts next year. That $130 or $93 million, whatever you want to use, will sky rocket.  They will then need to fill the holes of whatever they lose next year in addition. They won't be able to afford them unless they blow past the luxury tax again.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They have 130 million committed according to spotrac. Also Hamels needs to be replaced and they don't have a young arm to do it. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

Just now, palehose05 said:

They have $130 mill on the books next year. That isn't considering the Arb of Bryant, Baez, Hendricks, Schwarber, Contreras, Happ, Almora, and Edwards.  There will be substantial Arb contracts next year. That $130 or $93 million, whatever you want to use, will sky rocket.  They will then need to fill the holes of whatever they lose next year in addition. They won't be able to afford them unless they blow past the luxury tax again.

The 93M number is from Cot's contracts and it includes Quintana's team option 

Just now, SpringfieldFan said:

Overly naive and simplistic, but I would offer a generous bonus if he signs before the weekend is out, and let him know if he doesn't sign he loses the bonus *and* starts seeing the contract offer get reduced every couple days he remains unsigned after that.

...and then move on

SFF

Aaaaaaaand that's how get agents to never negotiate with you again

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Considering the Cubs have zero depth, no, they won’t package all those guys together. Trading what little cost controlled guys they have to move dead contracts off the books makes them a worse team. They have very real SP issues that will begin to creep up on them this season. If they are smart, which that FO absolutely is, they are going to allowcate whatever available funds they have left to shoring up holes in order to extend that window of contention. That division is going to be tough.

3 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Overly naive and simplistic, but I would offer a generous bonus if he signs before the weekend is out, and let him know if he doesn't sign he loses the bonus *and* starts seeing the contract offer get reduced every couple days he remains unsigned after that.

...and then move on

SFF

Lmao

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Considering the Cubs have zero depth, no, they won’t package all those guys together. Trading what little cost controlled guys they have to move dead contracts off the books makes them a worse team. They have very real SP issues that will begin to creep up on them this season. If they are smart, which that FO absolutely is, they are going to allowcate whatever available funds they have left to shoring up holes in order to extend that window of contention. That division is going to be tough.

That is one argument, the other is to say "fuck the future, we'll deal with it when it comes" Go get the best players now to maximize the window and if they have to pay the piper down the road, so be it. See the Blackhawks with Keith and Seabrook. Players come and go, championship banners fly forever. Remember that when (hopefully) the Sox start trading prospects for proven talent. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They also have about 40+ million in options on top of that 90 ish million and arbs. Also will be losing 3 pitchers in the next couple years and will have to replace them on top of players in the next couple years 

Just now, aeichhor said:

They also have about 40+ million in options on top of that 90 ish million and arbs. Also will be losing 3 pitchers in the next couple years and will have to replace them on top of players in the next couple years 

That number includes at the very least Quintana's option. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No chance. The Sox control 47% - according to this study by the Times https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/23/upshot/24-upshot-baseball.html - of a major metropolitan area. According to that study, Cook County is split nearly 40/40. Cook County alone is 5.3 million people, meaning the Sox have nearly 2.2 million of that in Cook alone. St Louis has 300,000 people - the metropolitan area has 2.8 million people. Of Sox Fans in Cook alone, they nearly match the total of St Louis. Chicago is a MASSIVE market in which the Sox have a 47% share of. There are 10 million people in this area, and if you want to say the Sox just control 40% of it (It's higher, FTR) then they control a fan base north of 4 million people. That's bigger than the entire St Louis Metro Area. 

The White Sox are not a small market team; don't let them sell you otherwise. In the early 90's the Sox were a bigger draw than the Cubs. Jerry being a big part of the strike hurt a lot with the fan base, but the Sox still have a market share bigger than 90% of MLB teams.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That is one argument, the other is to say "fuck the future, we'll deal with it when it comes" Go get the best players now to maximize the window and if they have to pay the piper down the road, so be it. See the Blackhawks with Keith and Seabrook. Players come and go, championship banners fly forever. Remember that when (hopefully) the Sox start trading prospects for proven talent. 

This does not sound like a Theo philosophy. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres