yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

This actually used to be a decent thread

Are you buying Giants' interest in Harper?  Rumored they will offer 'lucrative short term deal'.  Could affect Sox chances at Manny.

3 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Are you buying Giants' interest in Harper?  Rumored they will offer 'lucrative short term deal'.  Could affect Sox chances at Manny.

Not too seriously. Harper is clearly telling teams exactly what they want to hear in these meetings to make them think they have a chance. I see no reason for him to sign short-term deal with a pretty bad Giants team in an awful hitting park.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not too seriously. Harper is clearly telling teams exactly what they want to hear in these meetings to make them think they have a chance. I see no reason for him to sign short-term deal with a pretty bad Giants team in an awful hitting park.

Well said. It seems like a bad fit all things considered. 

This is going into March, I have little doubt at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Also makes you wonder if Giants think Dodgers might be interested in short-term deal for Harper and they’re trying to raise the price.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

It’s also playing with a team that has been determined to be opaque in its direction 

If the title is supposed to parody the song "I'm Gonna Be", shouldn't it be "Manny Thread - I would read 600 pages and I would read 600 more"?

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

How long until Charles the Cat pushes the Machado to Cubs narrative?

Discussing the possibilities of hand tattoos past little stars.

1 hour ago, Scoots said:

If Manny Machado signs this needs to be the first question asked at the press conference: "WTF took so long?"

No it doesn't...

15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

How long until Charles the Cat pushes the Machado to Cubs narrative?

Picture is two weeks old

1 hour ago, Scoots said:

If Manny Machado signs this needs to be the first question asked at the press conference: "WTF took so long?"

Negotiations? 

for all the talk about short-term deals it’s  hard to figure out how anyone would think things will be more lucrative next year. 

46 minutes ago, thedoctor said:

for all the talk about short-term deals it’s  hard to figure out how anyone would think things will be more lucrative next year. 

Agreed. The market won't look any better for players until there's a new CBA.

52 minutes ago, thedoctor said:

If the players continue to perform - taking 2 consecutive 1 year, $50 million deals, then at age 28 taking a 7 year/$200 million deal - accomplishes the same thing as a $300 million guarantee.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the players continue to perform - taking 2 consecutive 1 year, $50 million deals, then at age 28 taking a 7 year/$200 million deal - accomplishes the same thing as a $300 million guarantee.

Too many ifs.

22 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Agreed. The market won't look any better for players until there's a new CBA.

I don't see it changing then unless there is a salary floor put in to artificially raise salaries, similar to the arbitration process now.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And what team would be willing to hand over $50M for 1 year? No reports have even suggested that is a possibility, plus a lot of the heavy hitters are close to the luxury tax and can't afford to do so.