Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I’ve never been more confident that a prospect will succeed has I am with Eloy. I’ve seen him a good number of times in person, and what’s so impressive about him at the plate, is how much of the plate he can cover. When you see him up to bat, it’s actually incredible that pitchers are able to get the ball by him. Not to say that he will be the AL MVP, but he will have immediate success.

Expecting success I'm totally ok with. If you're saying he's going to make Bryce Harper look like a weak hitter in his rookie campaign I worry people have their levels set too high. If all he does is put up an .825 OPS and is the best hitter (Currently) on our roster, those people will be disappointed even though that would be really good for a 22 year old in a first stint against big league pitching.

9 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I’ve never been more confident that a prospect will succeed has I am with Eloy. I’ve seen him a good number of times in person, and what’s so impressive about him at the plate, is how much of the plate he can cover. When you see him up to bat, it’s actually incredible that pitchers are able to get the ball by him. Not to say that he will be the AL MVP, but he will have immediate success.

Saw one of his HR live last year. The ball just sounds different off his bat

12 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Mike Trout had a 672 OPS in his first 40 big league games. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Exactly.  The Sox have a Major Problem at the other OF corner.  The closest thing in the minors to solving it is many years away.  Harper is the prize.   It allows the Sox to trade from that depth instead of depending on it.  It’s the smart play.  

Machado is Checkers.  Harper is Chess. 

What major problem? How are the closest thing in the minors to solving it many years away?

This year, in AAA and AA the Sox will have:

Luis Gonzalez

Basebe

Rutherford may be there

Micker should be on a fast track assuming health is there

ETA for Gonzalez and Basebe would be 2020 - possibly, if all things go well I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them in 2019.

Micker you could realistically put at late 2020 as an ETA.

Rutherford is probably the furthest out and we're talking 2021 there. Also, if the Sox sign Manny, then Anderson or Moncada may be shifting to the outfield.

This doesn't even account for Robert who, if he succeeds this year, will be fast tracked given his contract and expectations. 

To say the closest thing is many years away is just wrong. I'm not sure why it's better to trade from depth than depend on it. That's an odd thing to say.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mike Trout had a 672 OPS in his first 40 big league games. 

He was also 3 years younger and only played 1.5 years of MiLB ball, not 5 years like Eloy.

Also so what? Take his first 162 and it looks a lot better.

This is like a “Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team” thing.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

He was also 3 years younger and only played 1.5 years of MiLB ball, not 5 years like Eloy.

So if his numbers don't make Bryce Harper look pathetic next year you're going to be disappointed?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yep that’s what I said!

That's where this conversation started, a person saying that Bryce Harper couldn't hold Eloy's Jock Strap. A couple of us said things along the line of "Give him time, he could be the best hitter on the team and that still wouldn't be true" and you chimed in to tell us that was a "jordan cut from his high school basketball kinda thing". 

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

No... Trout struggled his first taste of big league baseball. That was my point. Even one of the greatest players of all-time wasn't great out of the gate. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That's where this conversation started, a person saying that Bryce Harper couldn't hold Eloy's Jock Strap. A couple of us said things along the line of "Give him time, he could be the best hitter on the team and that still wouldn't be true" and you chimed in to tell us that was a "jordan cut from his high school basketball kinda thing". 

The specific example of Mike Trout struggling as a 19 year old was used, I took exception to that, I also quoted it.

Who cares if Jimenez is not appreciated to the right degree. An .820 OPs is obviously going to be great to watch. But what if it’s .750? I certainly expect more. Not every prospect struggles right away, just ours.

Juan Soto and Acuna has .920 Ops as 19 and 20 year olds. It’s fine to expect Jimenez to be good. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No... Trout struggled his first taste of big league baseball. That was my point. Even one of the greatest players of all-time wasn't great out of the gate. 

The situation Jimenez will be entering is much more favorable. If he hits under .700 OPS his first full year it will be a disaster. If he does it his first month and a half... we’ll just say it’s due to cold. This guy does have high expectations, but he welcomes them. 

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What major problem? How are the closest thing in the minors to solving it many years away?

This year, in AAA and AA the Sox will have:

Luis Gonzalez

Basebe

Rutherford may be there

Micker should be on a fast track assuming health is there

ETA for Gonzalez and Basebe would be 2020 - possibly, if all things go well I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them in 2019.

Micker you could realistically put at late 2020 as an ETA.

Rutherford is probably the furthest out and we're talking 2021 there. Also, if the Sox sign Manny, then Anderson or Moncada may be shifting to the outfield.

This doesn't even account for Robert who, if he succeeds this year, will be fast tracked given his contract and expectations. 

To say the closest thing is many years away is just wrong. I'm not sure why it's better to trade from depth than depend on it. That's an odd thing to say.

Moncada was the number 1 prospect in baseball and has struggled his first year and a half.  

To say these guys in A, AA and AAA are going to be studs out of the gate or even major league players is what’s wrong.  If they take the Moncada path then forget about 2020 or maybe even 2021.  

If we sign Harper we can now use the strength of our farm (outfielders) to trade for an ALREADY PRODUCING stud that plays a position where we are weak.  

That’s why it’s chess- not everybody has the ability to see a few moves ahead

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Moncada was the number 1 prospect in baseball and has struggled his first year and a half.  

To say these guys in A, AA and AAA are going to be studs out of the gate or even major league players is what’s wrong.  If they take the Moncada path then forget about 2020 or maybe even 2021.  

If we sign Harper we can now use the strength of our farm (outfielders) to trade for an ALREADY PRODUCING stud that plays a position where we are weak.  

The already producing studs may make money too. What if your bullpen needs to get over the top? Pitching? You limit your flexibility.

Just now, bmags said:

The already producing studs may make money too. What if your bullpen needs to get over the top? Pitching? You limit your flexibility.

Lotta ifs.  Harper allows us to trade for studs.  Machado fills an area of need but limits our trade prospects.  Seems like the same thing but it’s not.  

Both is just tasty. 

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Lotta ifs.  Harper allows us to trade for studs.  Machado fills an area of need but limits our trade prospects.  Seems like the same thing but it’s not.  

Both is just tasty. 

You can put Harper and machado on this team and it’s not even as good as the 2018 nats. You have a lot of upgrades to make with just your farm

17 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

And some can't see the forest for the trees.

Money doesn't grow on trees.

Let's not go out on a limb here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

How do you think the Machado sweepstakes will end?

Will there be a ton of smoke or will a signing just happpen out of the blue?

I think it’ll all happen within like a 6 or 12 hour burst... the first runors will come out then immediately escalate to an end.

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I think it’ll all happen within like a 6 or 12 hour burst... the first runors will come out then immediately escalate to an end.

Yep, one writer will tweet that X team is pushing aggressively, followed by someone tweeting progress is being made and then a little bit later, someone says there is a deal in place 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, one writer will tweet that X team is pushing aggressively, followed by someone tweeting progress is being made and then a little bit later, someone says there is a deal in place 

Wishing that was now, this is just torture...

Edited by beckham15

50 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Who said studs? they need a place to play. Outfield is the deepest position in their system. To then spend 300 million on another OF asset when Eloy already has a job and Robert was paid what he was is a waste of capital. 

45 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Both is just tasty. 

How does Machado limit our trade possibilities?

Machado sends anderson or moncada to centerfield. Adding another outfield asset just as signing Bryce does. Difference is manny fill a void - 3rd base - and Harper would not.

6 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

Peggy Kusinski's son who had the Joc talks before Rosenthal..

Well who's going to blow out the Sox's bid? Didn't Hahn say They're gonna go down swinging? I guess maybe Philadelphia if they don't get Harper.

And more importantly, shouldn't Machado have a say in where he wants to go? Idk, am I reading that tweet wrong?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres