yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What major problem? How are the closest thing in the minors to solving it many years away?

This year, in AAA and AA the Sox will have:

Luis Gonzalez

Basebe

Rutherford may be there

Micker should be on a fast track assuming health is there

ETA for Gonzalez and Basebe would be 2020 - possibly, if all things go well I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them in 2019.

Micker you could realistically put at late 2020 as an ETA.

Rutherford is probably the furthest out and we're talking 2021 there. Also, if the Sox sign Manny, then Anderson or Moncada may be shifting to the outfield.

This doesn't even account for Robert who, if he succeeds this year, will be fast tracked given his contract and expectations. 

To say the closest thing is many years away is just wrong. I'm not sure why it's better to trade from depth than depend on it. That's an odd thing to say.

Moncada was the number 1 prospect in baseball and has struggled his first year and a half.  

To say these guys in A, AA and AAA are going to be studs out of the gate or even major league players is what’s wrong.  If they take the Moncada path then forget about 2020 or maybe even 2021.  

If we sign Harper we can now use the strength of our farm (outfielders) to trade for an ALREADY PRODUCING stud that plays a position where we are weak.  

That’s why it’s chess- not everybody has the ability to see a few moves ahead

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Moncada was the number 1 prospect in baseball and has struggled his first year and a half.  

To say these guys in A, AA and AAA are going to be studs out of the gate or even major league players is what’s wrong.  If they take the Moncada path then forget about 2020 or maybe even 2021.  

If we sign Harper we can now use the strength of our farm (outfielders) to trade for an ALREADY PRODUCING stud that plays a position where we are weak.  

The already producing studs may make money too. What if your bullpen needs to get over the top? Pitching? You limit your flexibility.

Just now, bmags said:

The already producing studs may make money too. What if your bullpen needs to get over the top? Pitching? You limit your flexibility.

Lotta ifs.  Harper allows us to trade for studs.  Machado fills an area of need but limits our trade prospects.  Seems like the same thing but it’s not.  

Both is just tasty. 

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Lotta ifs.  Harper allows us to trade for studs.  Machado fills an area of need but limits our trade prospects.  Seems like the same thing but it’s not.  

Both is just tasty. 

You can put Harper and machado on this team and it’s not even as good as the 2018 nats. You have a lot of upgrades to make with just your farm

17 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

And some can't see the forest for the trees.

Money doesn't grow on trees.

Let's not go out on a limb here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

How do you think the Machado sweepstakes will end?

Will there be a ton of smoke or will a signing just happpen out of the blue?

I think it’ll all happen within like a 6 or 12 hour burst... the first runors will come out then immediately escalate to an end.

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I think it’ll all happen within like a 6 or 12 hour burst... the first runors will come out then immediately escalate to an end.

Yep, one writer will tweet that X team is pushing aggressively, followed by someone tweeting progress is being made and then a little bit later, someone says there is a deal in place 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, one writer will tweet that X team is pushing aggressively, followed by someone tweeting progress is being made and then a little bit later, someone says there is a deal in place 

Wishing that was now, this is just torture...

Edited by beckham15

50 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Who said studs? they need a place to play. Outfield is the deepest position in their system. To then spend 300 million on another OF asset when Eloy already has a job and Robert was paid what he was is a waste of capital. 

45 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Both is just tasty. 

How does Machado limit our trade possibilities?

Machado sends anderson or moncada to centerfield. Adding another outfield asset just as signing Bryce does. Difference is manny fill a void - 3rd base - and Harper would not.

6 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

Peggy Kusinski's son who had the Joc talks before Rosenthal..

Well who's going to blow out the Sox's bid? Didn't Hahn say They're gonna go down swinging? I guess maybe Philadelphia if they don't get Harper.

And more importantly, shouldn't Machado have a say in where he wants to go? Idk, am I reading that tweet wrong?

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

Well who's going to blow out the Sox's bid? Didn't Hahn say They're gonna go down swinging?

The point of the tweet was to point out that the IG post was nothing to be concerned about, not that there was another team ready to pounce on top of the Sox offer

Idk, am I reading that tweet wrong?

yes

14 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

I don’t believe this is her son. It’s someone that got the info from her son, IIRC

If a player is out for a year due to Tommy John, like Kopech, do we lose a year of his contract as well? What about if a player is suspended? Just for example, we sign a guy to a 5 year deal and he is injured the whole year or suspended, does that still count as a year of service even tho they didn't play? Probably a stupid question, I know.

31 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

I've never seen someone report Machado wants to go to the Sox. Wonder if it's speculation or that's sourced. 

thome chose the phillies over his beloved cubs because there was immense pressure to set the market for FAs

machado could give us a tiny discount if he wants to be with his pals, but after all this scrutiny of the players' standing in MLB, that discount would be quite minimal.

Just now, Kiebs13 said:

I've never seen someone report Machado wants to go to the Sox. Wonder if it's speculation or that's sourced. 

Yeah, that's kind of a big deal. 

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

i watch every single sox game and even i would not post sox baby shoes. and i mean i have a baby too

Just now, Princess Dye said:

i watch every single sox game and even i would not post sox baby shoes. and i mean i have a baby too

They had alonso's number on them. That insta post was irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

Yeah, that's kind of a big deal. 

I know he's had sources for other things before like the Joc talks, but he never said if that specific piece of info was sourced or speculation. I asked him, we'll see if we get a response. 

Just now, Kiebs13 said:

They had alonso's number on them. That insta post was irrelevant. 

It was a joke

Though i wouldnt necessarily say irrelevant. Even if it's a legit present, it's still cheeky to post it. He knows what it means to do that, and what kind of reaction it'll get.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

It was a joke

Though i wouldnt necessarily say irrelevant. Even if it's a legit present, it's still cheeky to post it. He knows what it means to do that, and what kind of reaction it'll get.

He did this sort of thing wrt the Yankees as well

Everyone on this board is going to need therapy after all this soap opera is done. I feel like we are watching an extremely long show of Law and order svu. So many plot twists.