yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

As a fan, I have no idea what goes on behind everything, but holy f*** it's hard not to be upset at this situation.

Machado is worth the money. Just pay him and get this over with, stop trying to nickle and dime your way to a contract. 

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

ughhhhhh

Lol. Morosi - No one has debunked the 250 report.

3 minutes later: PSYCHE

• Haha 1

There have been no real leaks to these negotiations. All the big time insiders seem like they are getting close to nothing on info. Hector might know more than anyone 😂 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Lol. Morosi - No one has debunked the 250 report.

3 minutes later: PSYCHE

Heyman is so damn stealthy.

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

There have been no real leaks to these negotiations. All the big time insiders seem like they are getting close to nothing on info. Hector might know more than anyone 😂 

This is my conclusion up to this point as well, I think all the usual insiders are hearing whispers but no concrete numbers. Gomez having no horse in the race and probably heard that info from someone in Manny's circle makes him much more believable IMO. Even Heyman admits to basically all contract figures right now are "educated guesses".

Edited by TheTruth05
  • Thanks 1

I dont know if i get the White Sox mentality that we want the offer to be higher.

I want the offer to be higher if it has to be higher. But the main goal is to land Manny, and the bells and whistles of it are just more evidence we're all pawns in this game. I want his total price to be lower so we can also get Keuchel or whatever else down the line. Every bit of payroll helps re: JR's tendencies.

I couldn't care less that Spring Training starts on this dumpy weather day because of all this, and that really stinks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

I dont know if i get the White Sox mentality that we want the offer to be higher.

I want the offer to be higher if it has to be higher. But the main goal is to land Manny, and the bells and whistles of it are just more evidence we're all pawns in this game. I want his total price to be lower so we can also get Keuchel or whatever else down the line. Every bit of payroll helps re: JR's tendencies.

I think I have warmed up to the idea of Keuchel if he can be had at 4 years. I think I'd prefer him over the guys next year like Bumgarner, Sale, or Cole on longer deals. Obviously, I'd rather have Sale but it isn't guaranteed that he reaches free agency nor can be hand for anything less than say 7 years. 

So, the White Sox have made an offer to Machado...maybe.  And they may have offered 7 years, or 8 years, or maybe more or less than the assumed years.  The offer (if it exists), could be worth $175M, $250M, or another number in the millions more or less than the other reported millions.

In other news, a message board of Sox fans is ready to throw their collective computers/phones through a wall.

• Haha 1

I've been thinking about the harper/machado dynamic but I wonder if Machado is especially sensitive to Arenado. It would be a terrible dynamic if an Arenado extension exceeds Manny's new contract right after he signs with Sox. Signing for less than him may be a bigger concern they have than Bryce.

26 minutes ago, Sockin said:

"Heard it's not right.  Might be close, might not be.  I don't fuckin know, here's a tweet."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I've been thinking about the harper/machado dynamic but I wonder if Machado is especially sensitive to Arenado. It would be a terrible dynamic if an Arenado extension exceeds Manny's new contract right after he signs with Sox. Signing for less than him may be a bigger concern they have than Bryce.

If arenado signs for significantly more than Machado, something is very wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Arenado would be two and a half years older than Machado is right now when he signs next year. I think it will be hard for him to get more (or the same) years as Machado does this off-season unless things start to change drastically next year.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

If arenado signs for significantly more than Machado, something is very wrong.

But the rockies are both sentimental and generous, so it's possible.

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Arenado would be two and a half years older than Machado is right now when he signs next year. I think it will be hard for him to get more (or the same) years as Machado does this off-season unless things start to change drastically next year.

The only advantage Arenado would have is being the easy #1 of his FA class. If the big dogs decide to jump in next offseason they will need to outbid one another unlike (so far) this offseason. Also Arenado has the advantage the Colorado just blows their wad on the face of their franchise. (unlikely i'd say but we never know)

Edited by TheTruth05

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

The only advantage Arenado would have is being the easy #1 of his FA class. If the big dogs decide to jump in next offseason they will need to outbid one another unlike (so far) this offseason. Also Arenado has the advantage the Colorado just blows their wad on the face of their franchise.

And despite being older, Arenado doesn't have the baggage that Manny has.

I totally agree that manny SHOULD make more, but one issue with him is Coors, but the rockies can actually pay for coors production. I think it isn not a longshot that arenado could be talking to rockies now on a deal that isn't far off manny's. I am not saying it's the likeliest, but it could be a legitimate concern that has led to additional waiting from Manny camp. This is all speculation, but I'd be nervous.