Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Whether or not the Sox are working on Harper right now, Lozano might have requested that they wait to announce the deal.  Think about it -- he wouldn't want Boras to be able to use Manny's contract terms as a floor in negotiations with the Phillies (and if the Sox really are still in on Harper, they wouldn't want Boras to know those contract terms either).  It actually makes a lot of sense that they could have a deal but have chosen not to announce it.

For those that think they wouldn't be able to keep this quiet, if we've learned one thing this offseason it's that our acclaimed national reporters and experts aren't exactly crackpot investigative minds.  Rosenthal, Heyman, Morosi....these guys are respected and trusted because they have direct lines to the GMs and agents.  But if Hahn and Lozano refuse to confirm anything to these guys, they're not going to report a deal is done.  Simple as that.

And if a deal was essentially done, but they have decided not to announce until Harper is resolved, what are some of the things we might see:

We might see Manny ordering new White Sox-colored gloves to get ready for the season.

We might see Hahn joking about Manny signing with the Raiders, rather than talk about the Sox working hard to get a deal done.

We might see an open locker next to Alonso and Jay.

We might see a particular reporter with close ties to Manny's family unreasonably confident that Manny is going to the White Sox.

BINGO!  All someone needs to do to divert us from what's actually taking place by, oh, I don't know...posting a bunch of random junk like videos of questionable hats, baby shoes, baseball gloves...let the masses consume the "stupid" diversions!  It's classic "WATCH THE BIRDY!"  

Edited by FT35

5 minutes ago, shipps said:

Being a safety net isn’t necessarily a good thing. Kind of like a safety net girlfriend or boyfriend, as soon as something comes slightly better you bail on the safety net. 

Being a safety net is a great thing when there is no competition. If a 10 out of 10 woman with a great job is dating you, and no one else wants her because they can't keep up, you win. And you will not feel bad about it either. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

BINGO!  All someone needs to do to divert us from what's actually taking place by, oh, I don't know...posting a bunch of random junk like videos of questionable hats, baby shoes, baseball gloves...let the masses consume the "stupid" diversions!  It's classic "WATCH THE BIRDY!"  

PLUS...you can not convince me that the "White Sox way" doesn't involve some sort of social media piece...it's too much of how they work.  See...Nicky be DEL-MINE-ICO.  Come on...it's too much a part of the fabric of how they operate now.   

If the Sox are really Mannys second choice that kind of sucks. The feeling that we have had, if I am reading this right, is that the Sox have been in the lead for a while but Manny just trying to egg the right money from us. His first choice was the Yankees but that ship sailed. Out of the other teams left to be seriously considered would be the Phils, Pads?, mystery team?,....and we are second to those options right now? 🤔 

Just now, shipps said:

If the Sox are really Mannys second choice that kind of sucks. The feeling that we have had, if I am reading this right, is that the Sox have been in the lead for a while but Manny just trying to egg the right money from us. His first choice was the Yankees but that ship sailed. Out of the other teams left to be seriously considered would be the Phils, Pads?, mystery team?,....and we are second to those options right now? 🤔 

HIs first option is whoever pays the most, he doesn't really care if it's the Pads/Sox/Phils if he gets his 300+ mil. That being said, we won't care about being his "safety net" when he's killing baseballs in a Sox Uni.

9 minutes ago, AJ123 said:

It's all bullshit!  Olney says "the feeling is the Chicago White Sox are a safety net..."  Whose feeling?!?!  Yours Olney?  Someone in the Yankee organization (since he's obviously at the Yankee's camp)?  I would love for him to articulate why the Phillies are a more preferred destination, because that's what he's implying here.  I doubt anyone told him that.  It's his own bias.

• Like 1

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

It's all bullshit!  Olney says "the feeling is the Chicago White Sox are a safety net..."  Whose feeling?!?!  Yours Olney?  Someone in the Yankee organization (since he's obviously at the Yankee's camp)?  I would love for him to articulate why the Phillies are a more preferred destination, because that's what he's implying here.  I doubt anyone told him that.  It's his own bias.

I know alot of people here love Olney. Dude has been a great source for years but his (and ESPN) East Coast bias is all over this article.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Buster has given the Sox no chance with these guys all offseason. This is actually probably the most optimistic he’s been with their chances.  Don’t forget he said earlier that he’s bet his family farm the Phillies get one of them.

Buster also kept throwing that 7/175 number when Levine was pushing it. Not really confident in his inside info in on the 2 big fish.

15 minutes ago, FT35 said:

PLUS...you can not convince me that the "White Sox way" doesn't involve some sort of social media piece...it's too much of how they work.  See...Nicky be DEL-MINE-ICO.  Come on...it's too much a part of the fabric of how they operate now.   

I think you're giving the Sox and Manny too much credit here.  I don't think there's any sort of master plan of social media diversions.  The simplest and probably correct explanation for the empty locker next to Alonso and Jay is...they're leaving it open for Manny.  The simplest and probably correct explanation for the black and white gloves is...Manny ordered Sox-colored gloves because he's signing with the Sox, and Rawlings didn't feel like they needed to check in with Manny, Lozano, or the Sox before posting it. 

13 minutes ago, shipps said:

I'm a die hard Sox fan and the Sox wouldn't be my preferred destination either. As a player the goal to win would be above else for me. Nothing the Sox have done with JR at the helm give me ANY faith that my time with the sox over 7-10 years would be any different. When have we ever won consistently and played for WS year in and year out??

MM just left an organization like the Sox with the Orioles. 10k people showing up to game.. more opposing fans than home fans.. cold weather...

I hate to do this since it's cherry picking and most will be butt hurt about it... take out 2005.. since JR has been owner we've won 1 playoff game in 1983. 2 playoff games in 1993. 1 playoff game in 2008. FOUR TOTAL PLAYOFF WINS IN THIRTY FIVE DAMN YEARS. (excluding 2005). That sounds like hell.

The Sox can promise promise promise about these prospects and how its different and they'll spend now. But all this dragging out the machado signing for 2-3 months has proven to me is that the sox will always be the same while run by JR. He'd rather win the deal, win the Balance sheet, win the income statement then win consistently with the Sox. Because if he really was fed up with the status quo. He'd throw a 8th, 9th, or 10th year onto the deal. MM is 26. He's not 30 like past FA. You're going to get decent years out of MM as a 34 & 35 year old.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm annoyed by this all. Being a sox fan sucks most of the time and we finally have a promising long term window and two of the most accomplished young FA available, in probably the WORST offseason for FA EVER and we still won't pony up because JR is counting his damn pennies trying to get the best DEAL instead of the best PLAYERS.

The White Sox are the safety net.  I haven't read any article except for a couple and it is really simple.  The narrative has not changed.

The White Sox will go long term with a fair but probably under value deal that is sitting on the table for both players currently. 

The White Sox 2019 plans do not rely on them signing.  Sure the Sox want one or both but neither is going to get them to the playoffs this year.  IIf/when other teams drop in with real contracts the White Sox will get into the bidding and may be outbid but the White Sox are setting the bar low at this time and nobody is beating it.

Keep the Yankees, Dodgers or cubs in the conversation gets clicks from their large fan base.  The Nationals were probably in on it but then they went after Corbin.

Teams with 2019 aspirations are not as one poster said, having a come to Jesus moment and are now dropping $300M. 

The offers are not there to beat the Sox.  I am not certain the Phillies where the Phillies are at but if they wanted to go crazy one of the guys would be in camp by now with them.

Maybe some teams jump in at $300M and grabs them.

My feeling on Machado and why the Sox need him at any cost is that Tatis was a major F-up and Machado is an offset to that question.  Yes we f'd up Tatis but we got Machado.  You lose Machado and Tatis becomes something and the ineptness kicks everyone in the nuts for the next several years. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres