Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Why on Earth would a Bryce Harper deal prevent them from announcing a Machado deal, regardless of how insane it is to think they'd be able to keep it quiet for an extended period. 

It seems like an exercise in futility, but there are two very good reasons to not announce a Machado deal before a Harper deal:

Boras would use the terms of the Machado deal to his advantage.  He would almost certainly set it as a floor.

The Phillies would likely panic into offering Harper more money, if they had confirmation that Machado was off the market.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I really think that this guy is telling the truth.  I believe he does have a sorce. Now whether or not that sorce is playing him and its all a bunch of crap, Idk? I think he might be a poster here or at the very least someone lurking.

But he has stood by his story. The timeline may have been off a couple times. One thing is for sure, we will know soon. Lol

So Machado agreed to a White Sox contract, but is still fake negotiating with Philadelphia to keep the price on Harper lower, so the Sox can swoop in and get both. 

LMAO. 

Please, no one can be dumb enough to believe this scenerio. 

And in the billion to one odds it was true, what do you think Bryce Harper would think of Manny Machado once he learned he was in cahoots to supress his market? And what penalty would the White Sox pay? 

C'mon man.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

It seems like an exercise in futility, but there are two very good reasons to not announce a Machado deal before a Harper deal:

Boras would use the terms of the Machado deal to his advantage.  He would almost certainly set it as a floor.

The Phillies would likely panic into offering Harper more money, if they had confirmation that Machado was off the market.

I would have to imagine that Machado's camp would tell the Phillies that we are now signing with ChiSox unless you beat it right now.

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Why on Earth would a Bryce Harper deal prevent them from announcing a Machado deal, regardless of how insane it is to think they'd be able to keep it quiet for an extended period. 

The idea is that if the Machado deal gets out, Philly may go crazy to get Harper.  The idea is that the Sox can secretly get Harper in the fold before the Phillies know, it will be too late.

IE, if you believe this line of thinking.

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

This is exactly why this scenario would never work.  Scott Boras would NEVER agree to keep negotiations quiet if he thought he was leaving money on the table.  Even then, he would figure out a way to get the information to Philly to get them to bid up anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

The answer to that was that it would make the Phillies drive up the price for Harper if they knew we were in on both.

But that raises the better question - if we know that would drive up the price on Harper, why the hell would Harper and Boras want to keep this quiet? Facts is facts - this has to be bullshit.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea is that if the Machado deal gets out, Philly may go crazy to get Harper.  The idea is that the Sox can secretly get Harper in the fold before the Phillies know, it will be too late.

IE, if you believe this line of thinking.

Shit.  But now WE know.  So if we know, the Phillies know.   There will never ever come a time where Soxtalk will know something about anything, before a major league team knows.  It’s impossible

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Shit.  But now WE know.  So if we know, the Phillies know.   There will never ever come a time where Soxtalk will know something about anything, before a major league team knows.  It’s impossible

That's why I don't believe it.  The need for secrecy would be way too high, and one side has incentive for information to flow freely.  It doesn't add up.

Would it be possible to have 2 different offers out to Machado? One if the Sox can land Harper, and one without? I can’t see that having any chance of working out, but what if they approached Machado and said if you agree to take less, we can pursue Harper, and become a better team sooner. If Harper doesn’t choose to come here we will offer you this. Seems like a terrible negotiation tactic, but with the way this offseason has gone who really knows anymore?

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Would it be possible to have 2 different offers out to Machado? One if the Sox can land Harper, and one without? I can’t see that having any chance of working out, but what if they approached Machado and said if you agree to take less, we can pursue Harper, and become a better team sooner. If Harper doesn’t choose to come here we will offer you this. Seems like a terrible negotiation tactic, but with the way this offseason has gone who really knows anymore?

No way Manny takes less money or lesser of two offers, not in a million.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

I just assumed it's fake because it has 620 followers lol. seems low for a media company ceo, but I could be wrong. then again I just checked and he is followed by a few of the bigger media outlet reporters. so who knows

Maybe the ceo of stadium is the source?

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres