Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 hours ago, drgiggles15 said:

A little off topic, so I apologize, but I went on the Phillies forum and really liked that they had a stickied thread in which one of the guys posted a link to every MLB team's forums for their members to see what other teams thought. Admins, do we have something like this for a quick reference? I think others would enjoy this, as would I. If no thread has been made, can I make one with all the teams forums? 

When the mlb forum goes up soon we can add it there. PHT gets a little crowded with sticky’s. 

2 hours ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Have you seen their pizzas bro. The slices dont line up. chuck e cheese obviously recycles leftover pizza

A4B37D55-87D4-45E5-AB6B-B73440DDB7EA.jpeg

But the rest of the pizza matches. So they either made a whole pizza and then took a new slice out just to put an older slice in which makes no sense. Or they made 7/8 of a pizza somehow and then added in an old slice

Just want to state while I’m optimistic we land Machado, if god forbid we lose out on him (and in particular to the Padres) it would be an absolute gut punch.  As embarrassing as it is to admit this, I’ve probably spent a good 100+ hours on this site since the offseason began and I’m sure there are many other posters here equally invested.  The front office should be cleaned out if they can’t get this done with basically no financial constraints & limited teams competing for his services.  Hahn & KW hyped up our expectations and then went out and got his two best friends.  If we lost out to the Yankees I would have eventually accepted, but there is zero excuse to be outbid by the Padres.  The front office simply need to get this done.

Again, I fully believe Manny will be a White Sox and am not trying to get anyone down, but I needed to get that off my chest with some heat that Harper may be signing with the Phillies soon and potentially one whale being off the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

Very positive. This link says the Phils are on the verge of a 10 yr/$310 mil deal https://www.12up.com/posts/6299083-rumor-bryce-harper-will-sign-massive-deal-with-phillies-for-over-300-million/partners/36534

All the rumors and all of the numbers have my head spinning. I wonder what the Sox were offering and how high they were willing to go?

16 minutes ago, Saufley said:

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just want to state while I’m optimistic we land Machado, if god forbid we lose out on him (and in particular to the Padres) it would be an absolute gut punch.  As embarrassing as it is to admit this, I’ve probably spent a good 100+ hours on this site since the offseason began and I’m sure there are many other posters here equally invested.  The front office should be cleaned out if they can’t get this done with basically no financial constraints & limited teams competing for his services.  Hahn & KW hyped up our expectations and then went out and got his two best friends.  If we lost out to the Yankees I would have eventually accepted, but there is zero excuse to be outbid by the Padres.  The front office simply need to get this done.

Again, I fully believe Manny will be a White Sox and am not trying to get anyone down, but I needed to get that off my chest with some heat that Harper may be signing with the Phillies soon and potentially one whale being off the table.

That 100 hours was JUST for the “two whales theory” and its various permutations.  Another 50-75 for various witty retorts, hot takes and f-bombs.  

The bar has been set.  You’ve seemingly got your work cut out for you staying ahead of Fathom and SS2K5 during the regular season...especially if Machado doesn’t sign.  

Can you maintain your place on the side of positivity and light with Eminor, or will the dark side seduce you like it did Balta?  Do you really want to take up the sword again that any perceived failure this year would inevitably be replaced by sweet vindication next FA cycle?

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That 100 hours was JUST for the “two whales theory” and its various permutations.  Another 50-75 for various witty retorts, hot takes and f-bombs.  

The bar has been set.  You’ve seemingly got your work cut out for you staying ahead of Fathom and SS2K5 during the regular season...especially if Machado doesn’t sign.  

Can you maintain your place on the side of positivity and light with Eminor, or will the dark side seduce you like it did Balta?  Do you really want to take up the sword again that any perceived failure this year would inevitably be replaced by sweet vindication next FA cycle?

If Hahn doesn’t land Machado or Harper, there will be no more optimism from me and I’ll be taking a lengthy break from Soxtalk just like I did after Kopech went down.  For now, I remain optimistic these guys aren’t complete clowns and get this shit done.  They’ve planned this for a long time for this and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I will never be a straight hater like Balta.  Would rather just not post at all if all I’ve got is negative things to say.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Hahn doesn’t land Machado or Harper, there will be no more optimism from me and I’ll be taking a lengthy break from Soxtalk just like I did after Kopech went down.  For now, I remain optimistic these guys aren’t complete clowns and get this shit done.  They’ve planned this for a long time for this and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I will never be a straight hater like Balta.  Would rather just not post at all if all I’ve got is negative things to say.

Right there with you, but Instead of coming back, I'd fine a new team to root for like the Rays or Padres (living in Tampa so Rays seem cool). 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Right there with you, but Instead of coming back, I'd fine a new team to root for like the Rays or Padres (living in Tampa so Rays seem cool). 

It would suck...but there are a lot of other reasons to stick with this team.  Plus, if we don’t get Machado/Harper, we’ll still have all the cash we set aside to land 1 or both.  Lots of talent, lots of options still.  Just a different path.

1 minute ago, FT35 said:
5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It would suck...but there are a lot of other reasons to stick with this team.  Plus, if we don’t get Machado/Harper, we’ll still have all the cash we set aside to land 1 or both.  Lots of talent, lots of options still.  Just a different path.

It's less about the team and talent on it and more about the front office and their continued failure. In particular, if they can't grab Machado or Harper and the contract that Mach/Harp gets isn't earth-shattering, it would go to prove how fickle these guys are. They came into this season with almost no contractual obligations towards the future. They had an open checkbook, have had very little real competition here, and had the need. They need to get this done. 

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

If we don’t get one of them, our front office will have proven itself incapable of landing a legit star.  There will never be a more favorable market than right now and that’s the problem I have with missing.  I would not give up on the team completely, but I’d be 100% done with this ownership group & front office and would a significant amount of hope.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It's less about the team and talent on it and more about the front office and their continued failure. In particular, if they can't grab Machado or Harper and the contract that Mach/Harp gets isn't earth-shattering, it would go to prove how fickle these guys are. They came into this season with almost no contractual obligations towards the future. They had an open checkbook, have had very little real competition here, and had the need. They need to get this done. 

Exactly, missing on these guys would turn the Sox into the Bulls for me where I’d basically have to say “fuck this, let me know when they’re good again and/or when these clowns running this thing are gone”.  It would just be a kick to the dick in terms of having any optimism.

I have enjoyed monitoring this site during this saga. I don't post often, but I do like hearing the opinions of other Sox fans like me. When I do post, I enjoy the interaction with anyone that cared to respond. From what I am seeing here and also other sites, it looks like Harper is going to Philly. It would have been nice to get both, but it would really not be realistic long term when it came time to add more players and/or KEEP the young stars we hope the prospects develop into. BUT, if we do not get Machado now I am with those fans posting that they would be fed up. Not enough to stop being a fan of the team, but I would NEVER trust the front office or ownership again. EVERYTHING has lined up for them to sign Machado. There will NEVER be another chance like this. If they screw this up, it tells me they could NEVER put a winning team together. I am optimistic that we will sign Machado and soon. If it does not happen Reinsdorf should consider selling.

19 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

And when they relocate to Montreal or Vegas within the next decade, you'll have to find a new team again.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, missing on these guys would turn the Sox into the Bulls for me where I’d basically have to say “fuck this, let me know when they’re good again and/or when these clowns running this thing are gone”.  It would just be a kick to the dick in terms of having any optimism.

Yeah, if they miss out on Machado AND the rebuild ends up not working out, I'm going to have a hard time following the organization after 2023 or so. It's bad enough that baseball is boring compared to football and hockey, it's double worse when the team you cheer for sucks ass.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we don’t get one of them, our front office will have proven itself incapable of landing a legit star.  There will never be a more favorable market than right now and that’s the problem I have with missing.  I would not give up on the team completely, but I’d be 100% done with this ownership group & front office and would a significant amount of hope.

Agree and agree.  We might have to win before top FAs sign here again.  It’s all the risk of a rebuild.  I’m sure we also burned a few bridges with players who we signed to long-term/team-friendly deals “to be a part of something special here in Chicago for a long time” only to turn around and leverage the value of those deals to get more in trades (Sale, Eaton, Quintana).  Nothing illegal or dirty about that, but that sorta practice  resonates with players.  

Still think though, we have the talent and resources to put together a more attractive future for a top FA.  Just might have to win first.  

I've seen the sentiment around that if the White Sox sign both Harper and Machado we'd be screwing ourselves over in the future, financially speaking. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/yearly/payroll/

If we signed Machado for 250/8 years (31.25 per year) and Harper for 320/10 years (32 per year) that only puts us at ~90,000,000 going into next year!!

The White Sox are a team that should be around, I don't know, $150,000,000. 

That leaves us a TON of room to build around, extend, and make finalizing moves, additionally, with the glut of prospects we have, we could make trades for cost-controlled pieces if push come to shove.

The only monetary excuse for not getting Manny or Harper (and potentially BOTH) is that the Phillies went haywire and gave one of them a monstrous contract. 

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres