Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

The Padres jumping in so late, is extremely annoying. 

Super annoying to see them mentioned with the Sox as a strong possibility.

They already have 144 million committed to Hosmer, I really do not see them as a true threat to Machado other than to drive up the price on Jerry 

11 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I've seen the sentiment around that if the White Sox sign both Harper and Machado we'd be screwing ourselves over in the future, financially speaking. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/yearly/payroll/

If we signed Machado for 250/8 years (31.25 per year) and Harper for 320/10 years (32 per year) that only puts us at ~90,000,000 going into next year!!

The White Sox are a team that should be around, I don't know, $150,000,000. 

That leaves us a TON of room to build around, extend, and make finalizing moves, additionally, with the glut of prospects we have, we could make trades for cost-controlled pieces if push come to shove.

The only monetary excuse for not getting Manny or Harper (and potentially BOTH) is that the Phillies went haywire and gave one of them a monstrous contract. 

They have like 3 players on the books.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just want to state while I’m optimistic we land Machado, if god forbid we lose out on him (and in particular to the Padres) it would be an absolute gut punch.  As embarrassing as it is to admit this, I’ve probably spent a good 100+ hours on this site since the offseason began and I’m sure there are many other posters here equally invested.  The front office should be cleaned out if they can’t get this done with basically no financial constraints & limited teams competing for his services.  Hahn & KW hyped up our expectations and then went out and got his two best friends.  If we lost out to the Yankees I would have eventually accepted, but there is zero excuse to be outbid by the Padres.  The front office simply need to get this done.

Again, I fully believe Manny will be a White Sox and am not trying to get anyone down, but I needed to get that off my chest with some heat that Harper may be signing with the Phillies soon and potentially one whale being off the table.

Step away from  the ledge pal. All is going to be fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They have like 3 players on the books.

That's factually incorrect: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/contracts/

But, I think I get your point -- that they'll need to spend more $$ to fill out the roster in some areas. I see no problem there even with Manny+Harper. 

4 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

That's factually incorrect: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/contracts/

But, I think I get your point -- that they'll need to spend more $$ to fill out the roster in some areas. I see no problem there even with Manny+Harper. 

Why do all the players from Manny Buenelos down, say 1 yr -, what does that mean? 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just want to state while I’m optimistic we land Machado, if god forbid we lose out on him (and in particular to the Padres) it would be an absolute gut punch.  As embarrassing as it is to admit this, I’ve probably spent a good 100+ hours on this site since the offseason began and I’m sure there are many other posters here equally invested.  The front office should be cleaned out if they can’t get this done with basically no financial constraints & limited teams competing for his services.  Hahn & KW hyped up our expectations and then went out and got his two best friends.  If we lost out to the Yankees I would have eventually accepted, but there is zero excuse to be outbid by the Padres.  The front office simply need to get this done.

Again, I fully believe Manny will be a White Sox and am not trying to get anyone down, but I needed to get that off my chest with some heat that Harper may be signing with the Phillies soon and potentially one whale being off the table.

I don't think it'd be that big a gut punch. It is sad it's taking this long because I am of the opinion we coulda tried to win the pathetic Central Division if we added some key pieces through free agency. Eloy is going to be THAT good and Moncada is ready to break out. Timmy should have his best year ever and starting busting through to stardom IMO. I'm not a penny pincher but Machado has enough red flags I think it won't be a 'disaster' if we don't sign him. Maybe he'll be worth the cash and the years of cash going to him, but I think he'll be quickly forgotten if we don't get him. 

As far as cleaning out the front office if we don't get Manny and/or Harper or both ... I think a more egregious sin woulda been not immediately being able to contend after signing Manny. You have Manny and Eloy and Abreu and Moncada and Anderson, cmon, get some pitching and win the fricking division NOW and years to come. That's the only fireable offense.

My odds: Sox 50 percent to get Manny. Yankees 45 percent. Others: 5 percent. Gut feeling.

Just now, greg775 said:

I don't think it'd be that big a gut punch. It is sad it's taking this long because I am of the opinion we coulda tried to win the pathetic Central Division if we added some key pieces through free agency. Eloy is going to be THAT good and Moncada is ready to break out. Timmy should have his best year ever and starting busting through to stardom IMO. I'm not a penny pincher but Machado has enough red flags I think it won't be a 'disaster' if we don't sign him. Maybe he'll be worth the cash and the years of cash going to him, but I think he'll be quickly forgotten if we don't get him. 

As far as cleaning out the front office if we don't get Manny and/or Harper or both ... I think a more egregious sin woulda been not immediately being able to contend after signing Manny. You have Manny and Eloy and Abreu and Moncada and Anderson, cmon, get some pitching and win the fricking division NOW and years to come. That's the only fireable offense.

My odds: Sox 50 percent to get Manny. Yankees 45 percent. Others: 5 percent. Gut feeling.

For the billionth time: who?

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

There is zero percent chance manny goes to the Yankees. Why do people still think this?

1 hour ago, Jake said:

If we do land one of the big dogs, I'd like to see us kick the tires on Dallas Keuchel to add a little juice to this express rebuild.

I know you have probably heard this how many times before? But every time I see you post I think " oh its Jake from State Farm!"

Sorry, I'll be going now.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Who would you have signed?

Moustakas plus Grandal and Nelson Cruz on my wish list (no Alonso, no Jon Jay)

Then ... Keuchel, Corbin, JA Happ (obviously not all, but some). And on the cheap Gio and Wainwright.

Just now, greg775 said:

Moustakas plus Grandal and Nelson Cruz on my wish list (no Alonso, no Jon Jay)

Then ... Keuchel, Corbin, JA Happ (obviously not all, but some). And on the cheap Gio and Wainwright.

Sorry I misread your original post as your usual "i hate the rebuild, we should have added guys in free agency" usual posts. My bad.

• Like 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

I meant your usual "we should have spent prior offseasons without giving any names" posts.

But comment on my list. Those guys IMO woulda been good. Right now even if we add Manny we don't have the starting pitching. 

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

But comment on my list. Those guys IMO woulda been good. Right now even if we add Manny we don't have the starting pitching. 

Personally I don't like your list. I'd rather sign one of the whales this winter, then sign Chris Sale next winter. And our rotation in 2020 consists of :

1) Sale

2) Rodon

3) Cease

4) Kopech

5) Dunning

Something like that...

46 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It’s only super annoying if you believe they are actually a threat. I don’t think there’s any chance SD signs Machado. 

San Diego came to the dance late. They're kicking the tires. Only because of the market and its depressed condition.  They are the team that's looking for things on sale - clearance.  

The whitesox have been planning this shopping spree for what 2 years?  At least, maybe 3? The sox have done a lot of planning. They have signed his 2 best friends! There is too much invested in him to let some bargain shopping team like the Padres come in at the 11th hour and try to buy him. Sorry San Diego, not happening. 

Edited by smellysox

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres