Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

The sox have two top pitching prospects and then 1 good pitching prospect and then a bunch of mediocre pitching prospects. The padres have like 8 good pitching prospects.

A lot of the Padres pitching prospects haven't made the jump to A+ ball yet, a lo of that prospect bloom is gonna come off when they make it to AA. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

The sox have two top pitching prospects and then 1 good pitching prospect and then a bunch of mediocre pitching prospects. The padres have like 8 good pitching prospects.

Gio and Lopez count for me - given their hold on rotation spots for the time being. Both were "good" prospects too.

As have most of you, I have had plenty of "Sox facing elimination" over the years. I don't feel like the Sox are "eliminated" from signing a whale. Far from it. After our vaunted front office has signed or traded for all of Manny's friends/relatives like Alonso, Jay, Colome, Castillo, Herrera and "been to the table" and this months long "pursuit" I really cannot believe they would leave themselves up to the ridicule they would receive if they come up empty. They know that. They know any credibility they have now would be gone forever if they fail. It is up to Reinsdorf. Time to put up or get out of Dodge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

A lot of the Padres pitching prospects haven't made the jump to A+ ball yet, a lo of that prospect bloom is gonna come off when they make it to AA. 

They have volume and have younger prospects that get better as they come up. That's the benefit to not drafting maxed out college players that are what they are and get picked off to injury and lack of stuff.

10 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Looking at the year by year payroll, the Padres could easily afford Machado, but I heard something about the debts ownership has, though I’m not sure how much that impacts their ability to sign Machado since I don’t know the exact dollar amounts we are talking.

I also am curious of how their offer is better than the White Sox at $250,000,000 for 8 years if it is $280,000,000 for 8 years with money deferred. Not to mention to taxes involved. Couldn’t the Sox counter with $280,000,000 million guaranteed and opt outs?

Year-year payroll is only one input needed to determine what is affordable. I'm guessing (impossible to know for privately held companies like the White Sox and Padres) that w/o fairly agressive assumptions on the corresponding revenue increase Manny will generate, @$30M/AV enters the zone of concerns for both teams. The issue will become one of which ownership group is willing to invest. 

• Like 1

I think the white sox should have had their infielders practice more positional flexibility back to last year. Id love Yoan, Timmy, Madrigal, Machado all to be able to move around for when we have an abundance of guys, more than positions. That's what good teams look like!

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Would Yoan be a backup plan at 3rd base?  And that would be only if Madrigal came up to play 2nd in 2020.  Or is there something else we could take from this?

Assumption has always been if no Manny, then Yoan plays 3rd in 2019.  If you get Manny, then Yolmer would be backup 3rd baseman.

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Would Yoan be a backup plan at 3rd base?  And that would be only if Madrigal came up to play 2nd in 2020.  Or is there something else we could take from this?

There's nothing to take from this. They want Moncada to be flexible. That doesn't mean anything for either Machado or Madrigal specifically. Because moving people around for Madrigal when he just was meh in A+ would be really dumb. Yoan will still be the everyday 2B with maybe the occasional game at 3rd

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I think the plan would be for him to play 3B if we do not get Machado. I could see Rondon getting time at 2B this year if Moncada does make the switch full-time. I can't find anything on him, but has Rondon played more middle infield than 3B in his minor league career? And if so, is he good?

Edited by soxfan2014

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Almost all at A ball. The Sox top ones are significantly closer to the MLB. The Padres prospects won't help Manny until his contract is half over.

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres