Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, mqr said:

RT. Trading Chris Sale was probably the right move. Putting yourself in a postion where you have to trade Chris Sale should be a fireable offense.

I consider that 2017.  2016 was Latos, Rollins, Shields, Navarro, and it gets worse from there.
Yes, I agree, they had to rebuild by that point.

6 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

They had Renteria practice Yoan out at 3rd and say you may see him out there at the opener.  Lozano is trying to leverage them into increasing offer.   This was their response.   Everyone step back from the ledge.   

Do you think that response, which basically tells Machado "we don't need you," in some sort of bluff play, I suppose,  will succeed?

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Again, did Yolmer die?

He's the perfect guy to play 2b for a couple months while you race Madrigal up. Good defensively, good enough with the bat, starting to get expensive - might be a trade or non-tender candidate at the end of the year, replacement in the backup role already on the team (Rondon). 

Just now, ptatc said:

I think when the team gets good, they want him as utility guy not a 3B starter. If they are going to be good in 2 years start moving them around now to see if they can do it.

Agreed, but I doubt putting Yoan at 3rd instead of Yolmer is some grand signal to Lozano.

It just seems odd and wrong to go to such lengths to put one of your core rebuilding pieces out of position strictly for negotiation leverage. I totally get position flexibility, and the Sox (most likely) would have had to figure something out re:Madrigal in the next year, but man this does cast some doubt in my mind the Sox are gonna land Machado. I won't jump off the ledge yet by any means, but I'm not as confident as I was earlier today.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Well they developed 4 home grown stars in Altuve, Bregman, Correa, and Springer. I don't see the Sox being able to develop hitting talent that efficiently so they have to go to free agency to make up for it. If the Sox don't convert now when the situation couldn't have developed any more perfectly, I just don't think they ever will. 

You’ve been hyping up this rebuild for over 2 years and now you’ll lose faith because they can’t sign someone? Almost like you were just worried about likes and followers on Twitter the whole time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ptatc said:

I would. I've had season tickets the whole time and I've enjoyed going to the games.

Not everyone likes mediocrity, yes it’s not life and death by no means but dedicating time and money to a consistently terrible product gets old. I enjoy going to the ball park as well just like most others l, but it would be nice to have some spark to a young team that has gone nowhere as of late and finally get headed in the right direction... 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Agreed, but I doubt putting Yoan at 3rd instead of Yolmer is some grand signal to Lozano.

I agree with this. I think what Renteria said is true. He needs play the guys he has hear and work with them as if no one else is added. Moving those players around to create line up flexibility makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's the perfect guy to play 2b for a couple months while you race Madrigal up. Good defensively, good enough with the bat, starting to get expensive - might be a trade or non-tender candidate at the end of the year, replacement in the backup role already on the team (Rondon). 

Madrigal, a couple months??? you think he's coming up in 2019?

4 quotes from Hahn need rehashing at this point:

1) “we’ve planned for this off season”

2) “we absolutely belong at the table”

3) “we will go down swinging”

4) quoted Theo or Friedman (I believe): “will never sign free agent if sensible about it”

so where do we stand:

1) focused on top 2 prizes and reputable sources say still in it for both

2) they are still at the table despite all the rumors of “stupid money”, “rounding third”, other teams’ “multiple meetings” in last month

3) currently still swinging as they are still in it...even if planted rumors of other higher offers are true

4) they knew 10/325+ expectations of top 2 coming in and still pursued aggressively and in what seems like a depressed market, might even make sense to keep hat in for both, throwing “financial sensibility” to the wind.

Just now, ptatc said:

I agree with this. I think what Renteria said is true. He needs play the guys he has hear and work with them as if no one else is added. Moving those players around to create line up flexibility makes sense.

I don't know why it needs to be more complicated than that. 

1 minute ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

You’ve been hyping up this rebuild for over 2 years and now you’ll lose faith because they can’t sign someone? Almost like you were just worried about likes and followers on Twitter the whole time...

Wait, you are lecturing someone about THEIR level of faith? Come on.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It just seems odd and wrong to go to such lengths to put one of your core rebuilding pieces out of position strictly for negotiation leverage. I totally get position flexibility, and the Sox (most likely) would have had to figure something out re:Madrigal in the next year, but man this does cast some doubt in my mind the Sox are gonna land Machado. I won't jump off the ledge yet by any means, but I'm not as confident as I was earlier today.

It is not for negotiationing purposes. This was planned since last season, in fact Levine stated Moncada was moving to 3B. Until Machado signs, I would imagine that is where he will stay.

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

Not everyone likes mediocrity, yes it’s not life and death by no means but dedicating time and money to a consistently terrible product gets old. I enjoy going to the ball park as well just like most others l, but it would be nice to have some spark to a young team that has gone nowhere as of late and finally get headed in the right direction... 

I don't like mediocrity. I love going to baseball games.  Baseball is one of my favorite forms of entertainment. 

• Like 3

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Wait, you are lecturing someone about THEIR level of faith? Come on.

I’ve never had faith in this rebuild because they haven’t been able to find consistent talent for almost 20 years.  But this guy has been hyping up the future of this team for years and now is giving up all of a sudden? 

1 minute ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

I’ve never had faith in this rebuild because they haven’t been able to find consistent talent for almost 20 years.  But this guy has been hyping up the future of this team for years and now is giving up all of a sudden? 

You gave up two DECADES ago, yet are still pretending to be a fan?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I also think there was plenty of spark when kopech came up. There will be more when Jimenez comes up. More when Cease comes up. 

Its baseball.

3 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

If things work out in this rebuild you better not be on board all of sudden. 

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres