Jump to content
yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

If we're being honest, he's probably better suited at SS than Tim 

Yeah, no. Anderson has gold glove tools at SS. There is no one else in the organization who should even be mentioned defensively with Timmy. Granted he has some work to do. but he has also made a lot of progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

We don't know that.  Right now he's a low A ball guy.  With this org's history there is nobody here that should expect him to develop into a solid MLB player, draft stock or not.


The Sox moving Moncada off 2B prematurely is par for the course tho.  They will prolly call up Madrigal in August when he's been hitting 220 in AA.

Madrigal will only be hitting .220 if he's hurt. In the minors his batting average is going to stay high because he will put the ball in play and the fielders won't be good enough to get him out. He'll be hitting .275 even if he's doing poorly, unless he's actually hurt. If he's doing "normal" he'll be hitting .300, but that .300 might translate poorly to the big leagues because even if you're good at putting the ball in play in the minors...here's Chris Sale good luck.

The thing to watch will be whether there's any punch in his numbers, the ground ball rates and the extra base hit rates. If he's hitting the ball with authority, line drives, in the gaps, piling up the 2b and 3b, then at least he'll have a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It puts a lot of pressure for Yoan's bat to become great. 

If not, long term you have an average bat at third, an average bat at SS and hopefully an above average but low power bat at 2nd.

You'd need an OF that generates a lot of power. That ain't Lindor/Ramirez on the left side man.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fathom said:

And I completely get that not one rumor should be trusted. The two things that worry me the most the last 24 hours though are Moustakas not waiting for the Padres and Yoan at 3rd.

Are the Padres a few years away even if they land Manny like the Sox? If so, why would they feel compelled to sign Moustakas either way? I could see the Phillies grabbing him as a back up option if they still needed someone at 3rd. 

You had the tweet earlier about Manny and the Yankees as well and Simenotti claims talk or gut feeling he still goes to NY. Who knows what is going on. Maybe Manny does go to SD but I'm not sure Moustakas is the lynch pin.

Edited by Mr. Showtime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We don't know that.  Right now he's a low A ball guy.  With this org's history there is nobody here that should expect him to develop into a solid MLB player, draft stock or not.


The Sox moving Moncada off 2B prematurely is par for the course tho.  They will prolly call up Madrigal in August when he's been hitting 220 in AA.

I'd rather move him now than 2 or 3 years down the road when you can't afford a hole defensively at 3B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bmags said:

It puts a lot of pressure for Yoan's bat to become great. 

If not, long term you have an average bat at third, an average bat at SS and hopefully an above average but low power bat at 2nd.

You'd need an OF that generates a lot of power. That ain't Lindor/Ramirez on the left side man.

When Ramirez plays 2B, is there a better middle infield than those 2? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Mr. Showtime said:

Are the Padres a few years away even if they land Manny like the Sox? If so, why would they feel compelled to sign Moustakas either way? I could see the Phillies grabbing him as a back up option if they still needed someone at 3rd. 

You had the tweet earlier about Manny and the Yankees as well and Simenotti claims talk or got feeling he still goes to NY. Who knows what is going on. Maybe Manny does go to SD but I'm not sure Moustakas is the lynch pin.

Moustakas is signing with the Brewers right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm just curious as to how he'll sell free agents next year if they do miss out this year and go on to get another top 3 draft pick. I think it'll be much harder next year with 3 garbage seasons under our belt. 

Buy them with money. How did the Cubs sign Heyward after 5 straight losing seasons? If the minors produce good players the team will improve and they will get players to fill the holes.

Regardless if they get Machado, the team being a world series contender will depend on the players from the minors. This was the purpose of the rebuild. The team was garbage on purpose. Ma hado would just cover up for some of the prospects not reaching their potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

When Ramirez plays 2B, is there a better middle infield than those 2? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

Correa Altuve are the ones that come close

Gleyber DIdi if you squint a little bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Correa Altuve are the ones that come close

Gleyber DIdi if you squint a little bit

Ah I didn't think of the Astros at first. It's been a shitty Monday between work and this. But at least I got to work from home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Would a group yoga class lead by Hector  Gomez calm us down?

It’s possible 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is just sad looking at the trend for Attendance and then knowing if they have difficulties converting one of the two it could be even worse for 2019.  When the league average is 2.1M and you are 500K below that it is a sad sad day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Would a group yoga class lead by Hector  Gomez calm us down?

It couldn't hurt. Unless one of us pulls something.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

When Ramirez plays 2B, is there a better middle infield than those 2? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

No that's great offensively. When they are SS and 3rd? Better competition there but ramirez man, he's amazing. Would love to watch that guy every summer and not be hurting my team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Madrigal will only be hitting .220 if he's hurt. In the minors his batting average is going to stay high because he will put the ball in play and the fielders won't be good enough to get him out. He'll be hitting .275 even if he's doing poorly, unless he's actually hurt. If he's doing "normal" he'll be hitting .300, but that .300 might translate poorly to the big leagues because even if you're good at putting the ball in play in the minors...here's Chris Sale good luck.

The thing to watch will be whether there's any punch in his numbers, the ground ball rates and the extra base hit rates. If he's hitting the ball with authority, line drives, in the gaps, piling up the 2b and 3b, then at least he'll have a shot.

I agree with a lot of this.  The point is that Madrigal has a long ass way to go to prove he can maintain a good slash line even in the high minors.  We'll see what happens when pitchers with control that can also knock the bat out of his hands start facing him.  He's a nice prospect, but I think the Fangraphs valuation is way high on him.  I'm closer to Keith Law (ugh) on Madrigal.  Solid B guy, not A- or so like Fangraphs has him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

Are the Padres a few years away even if they land Manny like the Sox? If so, why would they feel compelled to sign Moustakas either way? I could see the Phillies grabbing him as a back up option if they still needed someone at 3rd. 

You had the tweet earlier about Manny and the Yankees as well and Simenotti claims talk or gut feeling he still goes to NY. Who knows what is going on. Maybe Manny does go to SD but I'm not sure Moustakas is the lynch pin.

Agreed. If this off season has shown anything it's that teams that ready ready to compete aren't going to sign mediocre  free agents. They are going to tank and ride the kids to see what they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Buy them with money. How did the Cubs sign Heyward after 5 straight losing seasons? If the minors produce good players the team will improve and they will get players to fill the holes.

Regardless if they get Machado, the team being a world series contender will depend on the players from the minors. This was the purpose of the rebuild. The team was garbage on purpose. Ma hado would just cover up for some of the prospects not reaching their potential.

The Cubs were coming off an NLCS appearance when they signed heyward

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bmags said:

No that's great offensively. When they are SS and 3rd? Better competition there but ramirez man, he's amazing. Would love to watch that guy every summer and not be hurting my team.

Maybe that's the Cleveland hater in me speaking, but Lindor and Ramirez strike me as guys who profited the most from the juiced ball next to Mookie Betts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

 

Moustakas is signing with the Brewers right?

My post didn't go through. My point more or less was I don't get how Moustakas going back to the Brewers means Manny is going to the Padres. If he got 1 year and 10 million from the Brewers, why would the Padres a team who seems to be a year or two away sign him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Maybe that's the Cleveland hater in me speaking, but Lindor and Ramirez strike me as guys who profited the most from the juiced ball next to Mookie Betts.

Everyone is playing with it. Same advantage for everyone yet not everyone is putting up those numbers.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiSox9 said:

It is just sad looking at the trend for Attendance and then knowing if they have difficulties converting one of the two it could be even worse for 2019.  When the league average is 2.1M and you are 500K below that it is a sad sad day.  

This is why they were reluctant to do a true rebuild. Everyone knew this would happen. Most on this board were all for it but now everyone is jumping off the rebuild ship because they may not sign a high price free agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Showtime said:

My post didn't go through. My point more or less was I don't get how Moustakas going back to the Brewers means Manny is going to the Padres. If he got 1 year and 10 million from the Brewers, why would the Padres a team who seems to be a year or two away sign him? 

Right. I don't think the 2 should be connected. But I'm pretty sure the Padres and Moustakas have been linked for most of the off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×